How much is OK to run with a Labrador? (Read 8532 times)

Gaby

wake me up!

Hello Friends, I am new to RA, so probably this topic has been discussed. I have a 5 yo labrador retriever. Since last year I started running, I trained with him. After a year he is very very capable of running 10 miles with me (only if it is cold). It takes him about 3 days to recover from that... My question is how much should I run with him......? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks tons G

Imminent Catastrophe

Hello Friends, I am new to RA, so probably this topic has been discussed. I have a 5 yo labrador retriever. Since last year I started running, I trained with him. After a year he is very very capable of running 10 miles with me (only if it is cold). It takes him about 3 days to recover from that... My question is how much should I run with him......? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks tons G
      Gaby, I would be VERY careful and err on the side of caution, especially when it's warm and with a long-haired breed. If it takes him 3 days to recover I would say that's too much. My dogs usually are back to normal (not panting) in an hour or so, they are shorthairs (Dobies) Dogs are so loyal that they will follow you until they drop. Our Laika once was running with my wife and collapsed, then after a minute acted like she was fine. Turned out she had a very bad heart condition (cardiomyopathy) and must have been hurting really badly. We "retired" her from running and she unfortunately died soon after. My point is, don't expect your dog to say "enough", you have to look for signs of fatigue or overheating. FYI here in Georgia in the summer we limit our dogs to about a mile.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I would talk to your vet about it!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I had a black lab and I would run with him during the summer. Usually in the early morning or late at night depending on the temp. I also never took him on a run longer than 6 miles. I also built him up to that distance. Just like humans need to build up the distance they run, dogs do has well. My suggestion take your dog on your easy runs or shorter runs. The recovery should be better for the dog. Plus tell me how you deal with the poo factor never thought of a way to carry and run Confused. So we ran on gravel and trials so he could use the tree and I did not have to carry the poo.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Plus tell me how you deal with the poo factor never thought of a way to carry and run Confused. So we ran on gravel and trials so he could use the tree and I did not have to carry the poo.
            At PetSmart (and probably other pet stores as well) they sell Bags on Board - a little container that holds a roll of blue plastic bags. the container attaches to the leash. I'm lucky because where I run with my dogs is near a lake/ park trail and an elementary school, so I just toss the bags in the next trash can or dumpster. But when we walk other places, I sometimes tie the bag to the leash so at least I don't have to carry it.
              I run with my black lab several times a week, and he loves it! He gets pretty upset on the days that I go without him and barks for several minutes when I leave (at least he does according to my DH). But I don't take him any farther than 5-6 miles, and if it's above 65 degrees with high humidity he has to stay home. So in the winter he can run any time of day but in the summer we go before the sun comes up. If your dog is taking 3 days to recover, I think you're letting him do too much. My dog is back to normal after 30 minutes to an hour. And if I let him, he would run until he collapsed. It would be a good idea to check with your vet about how far and how often you take your dog, to make sure he doesn't have any medical problems. Have fun running with your lab - they're great company Big grin
                I'd really like to start running with my 5yo golden but have no idea how to even start. I'd hate to make him keel over. totally OT, but Gaby,I really like your av. we have an original print of the photo in your avatar... Bad Boys of the Artic by Thomas D. Mangelsen. We bought it an open house at his gallery in La Jolla and he signed it for us. It was our one year anniversary present to ourselves. Big grin He's a great guy...great photographer. Bad Boys sold out faster than another recognizable print of his called Catch of the Day with the trout jumping into the Grizzly's mouth...

Jennifer mm#1231

Gaby

wake me up!

Gaby, I would be VERY careful and err on the side of caution, especially when it's warm and with a long-haired breed. If it takes him 3 days to recover I would say that's too much. My dogs usually are back to normal (not panting) in an hour or so, they are shorthairs (Dobies) Dogs are so loyal that they will follow you until they drop. Our Laika once was running with my wife and collapsed, then after a minute acted like she was fine. Turned out she had a very bad heart condition (cardiomyopathy) and must have been hurting really badly. We "retired" her from running and she unfortunately died soon after. My point is, don't expect your dog to say "enough", you have to look for signs of fatigue or overheating. FYI here in Georgia in the summer we limit our dogs to about a mile.
                  Sorry about Laika, yep I think 10 mi is too much. He is done with that distance, I will take him only 6 mi max. thanks tons
                  Gaby

wake me up!

I'd really like to start running with my 5yo golden but have no idea how to even start. I'd hate to make him keel over. totally OT, but Gaby,I really like your av. we have an original print of the photo in your avatar... Bad Boys of the Artic by Thomas D. Mangelsen. We bought it an open house at his gallery in La Jolla and he signed it for us. It was our one year anniversary present to ourselves. Big grin He's a great guy...great photographer. Bad Boys sold out faster than another recognizable print of his called Catch of the Day with the trout jumping into the Grizzly's mouth...
                    I liked this pollar bear, it reminded me afteer my long runs !!! Smile
                    Gaby

wake me up!

I run with my black lab several times a week, and he loves it! He gets pretty upset on the days that I go without him and barks for several minutes when I leave (at least he does according to my DH). But I don't take him any farther than 5-6 miles, and if it's above 65 degrees with high humidity he has to stay home. So in the winter he can run any time of day but in the summer we go before the sun comes up. If your dog is taking 3 days to recover, I think you're letting him do too much. My dog is back to normal after 30 minutes to an hour. And if I let him, he would run until he collapsed. It would be a good idea to check with your vet about how far and how often you take your dog, to make sure he doesn't have any medical problems. Have fun running with your lab - they're great company Big grin
                      Yep, it is going to be 5-6 mi max for him now! thanks
                      Gaby

wake me up!

I had a black lab and I would run with him during the summer. Usually in the early morning or late at night depending on the temp. I also never took him on a run longer than 6 miles. I also built him up to that distance. Just like humans need to build up the distance they run, dogs do has well. My suggestion take your dog on your easy runs or shorter runs. The recovery should be better for the dog. Plus tell me how you deal with the poo factor never thought of a way to carry and run Confused. So we ran on gravel and trials so he could use the tree and I did not have to carry the poo.
                        He usually poops as soon as we go out so it is easy for me to just make a quick turn and bring the "stuffed wallmart bag" home.... Other times I just leave the bag in a tree or something and pick it up on my way home. it depends where the poop event happened I hope it helps G

Imminent Catastrophe

Sorry about Laika, yep I think 10 mi is too much. He is done with that distance, I will take him only 6 mi max. thanks tons
                          She was a good dog, we named her after Laika, the dog launched into space by the USSR in 1957. They did not yet have the technology to recover the spacecraft but launched her anyway, knowing she would not survive.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Gaby

wake me up!

Yep, I new about her Laika. She is a Hero, in my book. Thanks again for your advice. I took him today again only 4.5 mi. It was cool.