Ok. I have lived in Greenville, NC since July. Prior...I spent 10 glorious years in Florida. Help please with running in the cold!!! (Read 656 times)

I know...there are runners here from Michigan, Chicago, Scotland...etc....please humor me. I admit I have become a bit of a wimp where the cold is concerned. The guy who was born in Philly and raised in Connecticut was ruined by 10 years of living in Florida...it gets below 70 and I am reaching for a sweatshirt. I know...I hate myself, too. So, help. I am set to run my first marathon in Charlotte, NC on December 9th. Can someone help me know how to dress to run in the colder weather? How to plan with extra layers, etc.? I have been going with trial and error...but, I keep leaving sweatshirts around town after shedding them during runs where I think I will need them. The residents of Greenville are honest for my clothes are always where I have left them...but, I feel I could be doing this better. So, I have purchased Under Armour cold weather tights and long sleeve top. I have dry fit long and short sleeve shirts. I have lots of sweatshirts...etc....but, where do I go from here? Can someone help me with colder weather training and what I should wear? And, what should I plan to wear and shed for the marathon? Thanks friends!!!! Norm
    If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
    JakeKnight

Only advice I can give you is this: you'll be a lot warmer than you think you will. At the Rocket City marathon last December, it was 21 degrees at the start ... and with a sweatshirt and hat, I ended up way too warm. At the time, I thought all the "elites" I saw wearing nothing but shorts and tank tops were crazy; now I think they were smart. As long as you've got something to cover the extremities - gloves for your hands, something to cover your ears - you'll probably be fine. About the only exception might be if it's really windy; in that case, a good hat or ear protection will be key. And make sure you get an extra aluminum blanket at the end! Those things rock. If you do bundle up, make sure it's stuff you don't mind tossing away; alternatively, there are a few runs that will keep stuff you drop at aid stations, if you've got your name on it somewhere. I'd be really careful about taking super-expensive gear you don't want to lose. Although if you've got some good family/friend support who'll see you at a few different spots, you're covered! Just make sure they're where they're supposed to be ... and toss them your stuff that you don't need. That's my strategy. I wore a hat at the CMM last year and it was WAY too hot for that; fortunately my honey was waiting at mile two, and that was the end of the hat ... For what it's worth, a lot of people seem to go with the "garbage bag/sock" trick. They literally wear a garbage bag over their torso, with holes cut out for their arms, and a pair of ratty sweatsocks on their hands. After a few miles, once you're warmed up, just toss the bag and socks in the garbage and off you go. Pretty clever way to solve the problem.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Cool...thanks! You have me remembering how I used to be walking out in shorts and a sweatshirt in the middle of winter in Philly and feeling no pain. Thanks!
        If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
        Scout7

Ok, I live in Philly now, but grew up just outside Reading, and the fact that you used to walk around in shorts in the winter scares me. Of course, winter was wrestling season, so I was terminally cold anyway. But I digress. I agree with the monkey. Within the first mile or two, you're gonna get warm. I find the best bet is to start off by being chilly. Once you start moving, you'll be sweating, anyway. Other than that, wear an old long sleeve that you can toss. It's better than tying it to your waist. Also, a hat and gloves are key. The hat will keep most of your heat in, and you'll feel warmer. Same with the gloves. If you don't have a pair of gloves that you don't mind either getting all snotted up or losing, then use an old pair of cotton socks (hey, they make great nose wipers, and they're cheap to replace). You think you look silly wearing them, but I guarantee there will be others doing the same.

Dog-Love

Well I have the opposite problem with heat and when it gets above 70 I have nothing left to thow to the side of the road except my shorts and jogbra. So perhaps I am cold adapted but as long as it is over 40 degrees...tights are too warm. A nice short sleeve shirt under a warm up jacket is great. Then the jacket comes off at the start because by mile 1.5 you will feel perfect. If on the otherhand it is raining and under 45 and a stiff wind comes up...then all bets are off and a baseball hat is a must. If its under 30...layers are the best to start , have something to cover your ears adn some gloves to start and have someone support you who can take itemsfrom you. Does NC get under 30? If you are going to be running for over 1 hour and it is sleeting sideways then I would stay in bed for that one!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              Hi, I live in Ireland and cold and rain are things you have to get used to. I use the Cantenbury brand of cold weather-running gear. and then throw a zippered sweatshirt on. If it starts getting too hot, I unzip. If it is not hot enough, then I wear the long sleeve version of the cantenbury shirt, with a shor sleeve version over. They heat up pretty well. What makes a big difference for me is wearing a wicking beanie or a wool one, and gloves. Hope that helps. It doesn't snow here often so this works for temps of around 40ยบ F
              Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                OK, I'm not up to any marathons, I only run up to about 5.5 mi, but I'm running in Chicago. What I find works best here is a very light, wicking layer underneath a breathable windbreaker layer. If the top jacket zips, when you get hot you can unzip it a little. It's been around 30-40 degrees here lately, and it's been OK. When it gets colder, I add lightweight gloves and a headband to cover the ears. I haven't needed anything more than that even running in the snow.