Female boob chaffing? (Read 500 times)

keeponrunning

While this isn't the first time I've covered the distance before, this is the first time I've had this problem.  I didn't feel it while I was running, but when I got home and tried to put on a regular bra I noticed my boobs had chafing near the nipples.  Has anybody else had this problem?  How did you stop it??

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

dennrunner

This is where the usual post goes something like this:

This thread is useless without pictures.

I must admit I giggled seeing this thread title above another entitled "Lactate Threshold."

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Lynx

New running bra?

Never had the nipple problem, but regularly get chaffing from the strap on my sternum esp if I have a HR monitor. I use a simple band-aid over that area.

Maniac

I must admit I giggled seeing this thread title above another entitled "Lactate Threshold."

hahahahahaha

I have absolutely nothing to offer to this thread.  I merely clicked on it because I saw the word "boob" and couldn't stop myself.  I'm 39 years old, going on 14.  Of course, most guys are when it comes to boobs.

I have nipple chafing issues, but use bandaids.....I got nothing else to offer.  Sorry.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Ojo

New running bra?

Actually I would ask the opposite.  When my bras get too loose I tend to get weird chafing.  Use Glide and try a different bra.

Also, was it the first warm day?  Maybe sweat was a factor?

Sara

MM #2929

Arimathea

Tessa

Bodyglide (sold in stick form) or Chafe Free (in a tube) applied pre-run will help prevent chafing.

Aquaphor is good to help it heal quickly.

daneda

Actually I would ask the opposite.  When my bras get too loose I tend to get weird chafing.  

This is my experience.  Chafing usually indicated that the bra is getting too loose and is heading for retirement soon...

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Lots of body glide.  And seamless bra if possible.

steph  

YAYpril - B-Plus

I get underboob chafing. Body glide helps... When I remember to use it. I was fine all winter; now it's getting warmer so I'm sweating more.

Hip Redux

Friction and movement isn't your friend - I would say get a new/different bra!

keeponrunning

Thanks gals. Smile  I`ve used that bra plenty and it fits well so I`ll first try the bodyglide, then if that doesn`t work I guess I`ll be finding money for new sports bras.

MTA:  TeaOlive, where do you get seamless sports bras?

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks gals. Smile  I`ve used that bra plenty and it fits well so I`ll first try the bodyglide, then if that doesn`t work I guess I`ll be finding money for new sports bras.

You sure about that?  We American gals have a long history of wearing too large a band size.  I don't really know how many miles I get out of a bra, but I tend to replace them once/year and I generally rotate 2-3...logging maybe 250-400 miles/bra.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

Sizing I'm pretty sure of.  I'm a 36D/DD, so bra shopping is a challenge to begin with.  I've been measured professionally as a 36D.  However, sports bras are weird cause they come in S/M/L/XL sizes, but I go by if it fits snug enough to stop the bounce and isn't too tight then it fits and that's worked for the last 4 years I've been running.

However, wear and tear I don't know about.  I've had some of mine probably 3 years, although the one I was wearing the other day is probably only a year old.  How does one tell if a bra is worn out?  The seams are all good and the tech fabric still feels like it should, which is what I go by on regular bras.

You sure about that?  We American gals have a long history of wearing too large a band size.  I don't really know how many miles I get out of a bra, but I tend to replace them once/year and I generally rotate 2-3...logging maybe 250-400 miles/bra.

A Saucy Wench

I get underboob chafing and the only solution is bodyglide et. al.  But nipple chafing to me sounds like the bra is a little big.  Sounds like you have an old fashioned pull over your head kind which is bound to stretch out eventually.

My guess is your mistake is buying sports bras that are sold S M L XL. They tend to have horrid fit for the larger cups as they size them up everywhere, not just in the cup.   I buy these.... get your band size as professionally measured and your cup size err on the small side.  I usually buy 1 cup smaller to get a little more squish but I like them pretty tight for running.

Double check your band size yourself.  Many places are still adding 4 inches to the measurement which is a bit much.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7