help a high school runner with these running terms please! (Read 897 times)

Hi! I'm a high school runner starting summer training for the transition to DIII college running next year, and i just received a packet in the mail about what type of workouts we are supposed to be doing, but I don't know what a couple of the terms mean, for example: Cadence Training zones Drills (specifically "pawing action of active foot on ground") Turnover Springing Strides Help meeee. My high school is international but I'm going to a US college next year, which I am thinking is why i haven't heard about this stuff before. THANK YOU! Smile
    Purdey

Self anointed title

Cadence - how often your feet hit the ground. IE high cadence = high leg turnover. I think. Training zones - probably talking about heart rate training zones. Your max HR is usually about 220 minus your age. Different workouts are aimed at different % of your max. EG. A training zone could be 70 - 80%of max HR. Drills (specifically "pawing action of active foot on ground")- running drills. High knee kicks, ankle flicks, bounding, bouncing - see Galloway's stuff on this, it's apparently very good. Turnover - see cadence. Springing - see drills. Springing is usually the term for bounding up a hill. Used to develop leg and ankle power to improve push off. Strides - short accelerations (usually about 100m). Aim is to run as close to max as poss whilst concentrating on form (remaining relaxed and not sprinting). Hope some of this helps!

Here's a video and slides of hill bounding and springing. http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/drilltraining.aspx Training zones usually refer to heart rate regions, like 70-80% of max hr or 65-70% of heart rate reserve or a % of LT heart rate or % of VO2max hr. But you need to estimate whatever it is (like max hr) that it's a percentage of. There's a number of age-based formulas out there, but they may be off as much as 20bpm either directions. So you're better off doing a field test of some type. You'll get different training and physiological benefits from different zones. agree with the others.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        mikeymike

Hi! I'm a high school runner starting summer training for the transition to DIII college running next year, and i just received a packet in the mail about what type of workouts we are supposed to be doing, but I don't know what a couple of the terms mean, for example: Cadence Training zones Drills (specifically "pawing action of active foot on ground") Turnover Springing Strides Help meeee. My high school is international but I'm going to a US college next year, which I am thinking is why i haven't heard about this stuff before. THANK YOU! Smile
          Most of these things fall into the bucket of minutiae that adult hobbyjoggers tend to obsess over but that rarely if ever come into play for competitive high school and collegiate runners. You're unlikely to need to know about any of these next year and if you do your coaches will give you their definitions which will be the only ones that matter. Good luck in college!

Runners run