My regime:my success (Read 1107 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I received an email from one of the member here asking about my progress and any info I could share, thought some of you guys might wanna read my response: To be honest all I have done with the diet is follow weight watchers. Simple, join a class, stick to it, run like hell and you will lose! Here is a basic daily intake for me: 7am, Oats so simple porridge 10am apple 1pm 2 Tuna sandwiches, packet of low fat crisps(chips), banana 4pm, handful of mixed nuts 6pm banana before my run 7-8pm run 8pm - bowl of pasta with tuna. Other typical days involve things line nutri grain bars, protein shakes, goji berries, cranberries, chicken breasts. Basically I eat every 3 hrs, but small to keep my metabolism going. Drink loads of water every day. I also now run about 6 times a week, and always work to a strict schedule. I mean to say that I lke to mix it up. Most of it is taken up by easy running, just under 8m/mile pace, then ll do about 6 iles of tempo running, betwen 7-7:30m/mile, and also I will do a session of intervals Mix it up to keep your body guessing, when I first started I ws slow, and I still think I am but its because you lways want better. I have done a few races, and they help get you faster. I was particularly happy with my last 4 miler, 6:51 pace. I actually didnt dream I could ever go below 7mins over that distance. Relax and time will tell, you need to have goals, but dont be too unrealistic, patience. When I race I get frustrated because I dont finish very high, bt that is due to the talent in the field, and the fact that they have been at it for years. You can see from my log that I have tried to increase my mileage, but what with family constraints I have to cap it really. get loads of protein down yoou, eggs, (without the yokes), chicken, tuna, and also carbs too, jacket potatoes, wholemeal bread etc, but your promary daily intake needs ot be from protein, I am for 200 g a day, but that is just me. Also I recomment jelly babies before a run, they help keep up your sugar levels, and give you energy. This christmas I will have been running about a year, and I will bre competing in new years 10k again - this was my first ever race. I did it in 50:20, now I am hoping to get near to 40. 10 mins in one year is some going, next year will be looking for 37. Anything else you need just mail.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

2008 Philly Trifecta

Eddy- Thanks for the info...I am seriously contemplating joining weight watchers. I realize I don' t need a diet,but rather a lifestyle change. There is a meeting close to me tonight. I have had some female friends who have had success, but was always cautious because I never knew of a male having success. Any info you can share on your experiences with WW? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
      2008 Philly Trifecta:
      10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
      Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
      Philly Marathon-11/23
      "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

I'm a huge fan of Weight Watchers. I've never actually joined the class, but have friends that have and I try to follow the point system and the basics of the diet. It's a great way to change your diet that isn't complicated and will stay with you the rest of your life. I'll never look at food the same way - doesn't mean I don't still eat the bad stuff, but at least now I'm more conscious of just how bad it is! Most of all I LOVE their cookbooks. I'm sure joining a WW class is a great way to stay motivated, hear other people's successes and bounce around ideas. And don't worry, there are lots of men who do Weight Watchers.

2008 Philly Trifecta

I'm a huge fan of Weight Watchers. I've never actually joined the class, but have friends that have and I try to follow the point system and the basics of the diet. It's a great way to change your diet that isn't complicated and will stay with you the rest of your life. I'll never look at food the same way - doesn't mean I don't still eat the bad stuff, but at least now I'm more conscious of just how bad it is! Most of all I LOVE their cookbooks. I'm sure joining a WW class is a great way to stay motivated, hear other people's successes and bounce around ideas. And don't worry, there are lots of men who do Weight Watchers.
          Thanks for the encouragement, Sholtzman! I'll keep you posted! Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
          2008 Philly Trifecta:
          10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
          Philly Marathon-11/23

i did WW years ago (2002). it was not hugely successful for me as a class - but the experience taught me an awful lot about nutrition, about what was and wasn't good for me and about cooking too (i was a decent cook beforehand but of the extra butter, cream and eggs variety!) i left WW as when my weight loss stalled after losing about 7lbs their answer was that i should give up running! apparently the carbs i needed for running were stopping me losing weight Roll eyes there were lots of men doing it - and to be fair my recollection is that they were as successful if not more so than the women. lots of luck with it. keep us posted.

Along for the Ride

Speaking of cooking. I am a fan of www.cookinglight.com/cooking/. So far all the recipes I've made turned out wonderful. They don't taste "diet" at all. The recipes are just more sensible. There is also a feature every month where an old-fashioned recipe gets an "enlightening" makeover.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I lost over 90 lbs with Weight Watchers Online, which is basically just a Points database where you can record all your food and activity and whatever. I was wary of meetings because I just didn't want to get bad (and conflicting) advice from leaders. The stop-running thing is so Weight Watchers. I've kept it off for almost 3 years now. I don't count Points now, but do count calories, but the framework of Points was so helpful for me. I could even do the math in my head, unlike with calories when I can't add that high.
                2008 Goals
              • Run 1250 miles
              • Get down to 135!
              • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon

• Slow-smooth-fast

glad all you guys share the enthusiasm for the diet, it really is remarkable. I am currently up to a loss of 87lbs, I think I want to lose just another 4 lbs then I am done!! Maintenance then for me, or perhaps not, because I have noticed that there is a direct correlation between my weight loss and my running speed. I may keep going until I find my optimum. What are your thoughts on weight and speed?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

there's definitely been a direct correlation between my weight loss and improved speed. this year i've gone from 158lbs (5k 29:09) to 136lbs (5k 23:44). i've only got 3-4lbs left to lose but like you i think i might carry on for a few more lbs just get a bit faster. you might find this interesting http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php
                    smc3720

I don't know who is giving the bad information about not running with Weight Watchers. As I work for Watchers, and that is nothing we would ever tell someone. In fact in October We are encouraging our members to participate in a walk/run for breast cancer in Salt Lake. And myself and one of the leaders will be running in the TOPOFUTAH marathon in Logan in September. We encourge what ever exercise someone is willing to do. Myself, I say the more the better. As you can tell, I think the Weight Watchers program is very Good. My wife and I both lost over 50 pounds each using it. And running is one of the ways I keep it off.
                        i'm sure every WW leader is different. thats just what my WW leader told me and its the prime reason i left. i also happen to think its an overall good programme - teaching you about the basics of nutrition instead of just "dieting". by the way - "giving bad information" rather comes across as though you think i'm lying. i do hope thats not the case. this isn't second hand info - i'm simply describing my own experience with WW.
                        smc3720

I didn't mean to imply you were lying. In fact if the leader was telling you that, they were giving bad information, or poor advice. In fact, that falls into the area of advice {possible medical) that we are told not to talk about, because that would be the only reason I can think of not to exercise, and that is of course one of the points that helps best in weight loss. I can see why you would leave WW if this is the advice you were given, it is fact contratry to what we are told to teach.
                            it was a shame as i otherwise found WW to be very good. the points system worked for me in teaching me about food. although having learned about it i've now found i can lose weight just as effectively by counting calories instead. i'm now only 3-4 lbs from my final goal weight having lost over 20lbs using calorie counting and gathering motivation from the jiggly joggers challenges and weekly weigh ins. so i guess in the end its the learning process i appreciated WW most for - rather than the system itself. congrats to you and your wife smc. 50lbs is a lot to lose and keep off.

2008 Philly Trifecta

Welp...Last Thurs I officially joined Weight Watchers. I was a bit apprehensive, but was put at ease when I saw 3 other men at the meeting. The leader is good. Very motivating. She lost 120+lbs herself. I've spent the last several days reading the material and trying to get the gist. I went on the WW site, and registered for the e-Tools...Everything came together! I've decised to try the Flex Program since I need to get a grip on calories. I get 35pts a day (which I think is high) and have not been able to reach that # since I started. On Fri, I only ate 20 pts and felt fine, but my Sat 4 miler suffered horribly. Ate 31pts yesterday, a bit high on the carb side so I won't have that problem today on my 8 mile (attempting) long run. If successful, it will be my longest run to date. I may begin logging my ww journey on the health & Nutrition Forum... Dave

2008 Philly Trifecta:
                              10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                              Philly Marathon-11/23

Slow-smooth-fast

way to go dave, you have made the first positive step. Make sure you are eating your points, especially as you are running. When I started I was on 32 points if i remember correctly. I used to save them to, but now I find that being on 27 poitns a day, and saving 4 points is a little testing. I tend to save 4 for 3 days, then eat 2 over on the 4th day, and repeat. This way your metabolism never gets stale, and doesnt go into starvation mode. Believe me, +85 lbs later, it works, I think I have become somewhat of a fanatic.