'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

Walk-Jogger

A rural Oklahoma shooting has drawn widespread attention in Australia after a visiting student was randomly shot and killed by "bored" teenagers looking for a target, police said.

Chris Lane, 22, a baseball player on scholarship with East Central University, was reportedly shot in the back Friday while jogging in the small town of Duncan in southern Oklahoma. Lane, a catcher, was from Melbourne, Australia.

Three teens, ages 15, 16 and 17, saw him running by and followed him in a car before shooting him, Duncan police Chief Danny Ford told the Associated Press.

“They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: ‘There’s our target,' " Ford told the AP. “The boy who has talked to us said, ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.'"

Story Here

Retired &  Loving It

sugnim

Sad stuff.  Sad for the victim and his family, and said for a society that raises children who don't know any other way to deal with their boredom and aggression.

keeponrunning

What the ----?????  Talk about sick.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Tramps

Right up there with "I don't like Mondays."

Be safe. Be kind.

Isn't it sad that you can have three kids sitting there, one of them says "well, how about we just kill someone?!"  And the other 2, instead of objecting or at least objecting out of self-preservation (IE they don't want to go to jail for life), reply:  Sure!

Three kids didn't give a rats (butt) about killing someone...

Three kids didn't give a rats (butt) about killing someone Completely at random who had never done anything to them...

Three kids didn't give a rats (butt) about they would likely be caught and doing decades in prison in jail...

Three kids said "sure!"  And carried it out.

---- What happened to the days when the distraction of cruising in a car,  or chasing other hot teenage girls + trying to find a girlfriend was about 10000% more important than random talk of killing folks?  I'll be straight up honest... I used to get real depressed as a 15 yr old, I used to have suicidal thoughts.  But it was the thought of thinking about chasing girls that kept me motivated to never consider such a thing!  In a different way but similar, these boys cared more about such a random act than pursuing a relationship or girls or something?  I don't get it.  

Sorry so long-winded, but I wonder if this kind of thing is more common now, or if it is only the pervasive and global nature of the media now that brings it all to us on a daily basis that makes it seem a more common event.....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

Sorry so long-winded, but I wonder if this kind of thing is more common now, or if it is only the pervasive and global nature of the media now that brings it all to us on a daily basis that makes it seem a more common event.....

Hard to tell whether it is more frequent or we just hear about each and every case now.   Something is seriously sick within people like this; forget "rehabilitation".  Total absence of human conscience.

I'm not sure what about runners makes us preferred targets, but I really believe people have it out for us versus other types of pedestrians.  Similar to the posted situation but less lethal, I was targeted by some bored teenagers about a decade ago for a drive-by paintball shooting.  They missed my left eye by about 2 inches, shooting from maybe 6-8 feet away.  Got the plate, but the police did everything they could to not have to do their job about it so all the kids got for it was the windshield I cracked with a chunk of pavement when they made a second pass.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Docket_Rocket

Very sad.   That happens often where I come from (PR) where kids and criminals just spend an evening shooting at the cars passing by the expressway.  It sucks that people think it's funny to shoot someone for "fun".

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JimR

Very sad.   That happens often where I come from (PR) where kids and criminals just spend an evening shooting at the cars passing by the expressway.  It sucks that people think it's funny to shoot someone for "fun".

Paper targets get boring after awhile.

Feeling the growl again

Paper targets get boring after awhile.

These were gangbangers, and gangbangers don't shoot paper targets.  If they shoot anything they shoot at people.  Trying to insinuate these people were in any way representative of the type of people who do go out and target shoot makes you a complete idiot.  But hey, I figured it was only a matter of time before you chimed in with something ignorant like this, so no big surprise.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

PDoe

Don't need 'em around. If they don't have a clue at that age, it's not going to come in "rehabilitation". Bye-bye boys.

JimR

These were gangbangers, and gangbangers don't shoot paper targets.  If they shoot anything they shoot at people.  Trying to insinuate these people were in any way representative of the type of people who do go out and target shoot makes you a complete idiot.  But hey, I figured it was only a matter of time before you chimed in with something ignorant like this, so no big surprise.

Actually, I'm implying that people who shoot at random vehicles on expressways probably don't find much thrill or satisfaction from shooting at inanimate objects.

I wonder if this might change the perspective of the Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin case.

Sad stuff.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

More details here. Put some faces to this hideous story as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/08/20/oaklahoma-australian-baseball-player-shot-bored-teenager.html

Sad.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Docket_Rocket

The ones that do this in Miami and PR are usually gang bangers or drug lords too.  They probably never tried to hit an inanimate object.

Actually, I'm implying that people who shoot at random vehicles on expressways probably don't find much thrill or satisfaction from shooting at inanimate objects.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have an Australian family near us who have lived in the US since their kids were quite small, when the father took a job as a minister.  Their eldest is starting his 2nd year of college and plans to stay to finish out his degree.

They have decided to return to Australia, in large part because they are tired of the level of gun violence we have here and relatively lax laws.  I'm sure this story serves to reinforce their decision to leave.  It's a bummer, since they have been a huge asset to the community and to my son's school and one of their boys has been a classmate of my son's for the past 6 years, so he's going to be missing his friend.

Once again guns have been allowed into the hands of those who have no right even being in the same room with a weapon.  And it's again made me feel ill and angry.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay