DUDES only RUN (Read 551 times)

Julia1971

We were discussing the competitiveness of these events morning so I was curious about the times. So, I looked them up.  Looks like it takes 1:17/1:18 to be top female princess and low 1:20 to place. That's pretty quick. As far as the guy, I hadn't clicked through to the article but someone up thread mentioned a guy had won it one year... Where were you 2 days ago? This article is just what the OP needed.

I don't understand the question. I was just linking to a WSJ article that made the rounds a year or two ago that I thought was relevant to the discussion.

SillyC

I'm a woman and I think most women-only events are dumb. Someone on the last page commented about these events being more competitive for women--I've attended a few and ran in some, and that's not what I see at all. They definitely appear to be more of the group-running (or group run/walking), social events. there is a glaring difference between the varsity women's race at a college XC meet and the Disney Princess 1/2.

Hey, curious - what pace did you run them at, then?  Because meaghansketch and I seem to be running a bit below an 8 minute mile pace at 5ks, and we're both saying the same thing.  (I ran the NYC Mini 10K in 2002!)  It's both things at once - the group/run walk in the back and the college XC meet in the front.  Hence the popularity.

I can't speak to what the Disney Princess is like having not been there.  The last half marathon I ran, which was a while ago, I ran in I think 1:50Tight lippedx.  There were NO women around me.  None.  I was surrounded by dudes, some of them cursing their slow time.  At about that time, Disney Princess has women just pouring across the finish line.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At the first Wilson Bridge Half, it looks like a small tria of women "poured across" around 1:13, and then there was a 6min gap to any more.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

At the first Wilson Bridge Half, it looks like a small tria of women "poured across" around 1:13, and then there was a 6min gap to any more.

Catherine is the Queen.  We're talking about Princesses.

Julia1971

Lines like this are why there are Women's Only events:

"Such was the case for Danya Crawford on September 14, when the 33-year-old mother of two sprinted across the finish line of the Big Cottonwood Marathon, winning not just the women’s title, but the overall race."

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/utah-woman-is-overall-winner-of-marathon?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-FirstOverallWinnerWoman

I've never heard anyone describe a man as winning "not just the men's title, but the overall race."

Runners World comentary aside; 2:46:30 is awesome work regardless of who's doing it!

Yeah, that's pretty cool.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Catherine is the Queen.  We're talking about Princesses.

Ha! Nice Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CT JEFF

"Ran into" another girl issue yesterday. Wanted to buy running shorts for my two boys at the running Expo yesterday for run Disney. But 95% of the merchandise was created for women. I could have paid $40 for a tech tee, or $40 for shorts or $80 for a light jacket, but otherwise it was very girlie.

I understand companies need to bring what they expect to sell, but if nobody brings boy clothes, that might be the reason they don't sell.

I also saw a post on FB, complaining that race tshirts that are unisex, don't foot women well. Basically saying unisex is another name for a men's t. She then went on to show how you can cut it down to turn it into a women's cut.

With 60% women at most races, I'd expect more women's cut tees offered in the future.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

monaesque

Most women-only events do not exclude men. In fact, one race organizer for a women's race recommended her male friend to attend in order to meet women who are into running!

If you're an optimist, look at these women's races as a way to encourage women to run, not as a way to exclude men.

If you're a pessimist, see it as marketing tactic aimed at promoting gear and brands to a female market (as someone mentioned earlier).

Go to an all-women's event, volunteer at an aid station, and enjoy the view.

+1.

Volunteered at the Women's Half in Central Park this year. Needed to volunteer for the 9+1, and thought I might as well do a race that a. I couldn't run, and b. where the scenery was quite splendid

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

SShaw490

SShaw490

Just on a very personal level, running behind the ladies is one of my favorite things.

CT JEFF

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/princess/CorralAssignmentsPRN.pdf

*female only corrals. I heard that some females sold their bibs in past years and men were coming down the course as winners of the "Princess Half Marathon" - Guess this is their plan to eliminate that.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

xhristopher

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/princess/CorralAssignmentsPRN.pdf

*female only corrals. I heard that some females sold their bibs in past years and men were coming down the course as winners of the "Princess Half Marathon" - Guess this is their plan to eliminate that.

I'm pretty sure dudes can register for this on their own if they want so I'm not sure why women would need to sell them bibs. Of course, some dudes are dumb and women may be profiting on that fact.

CT JEFF

xhristopher - yes men can register. Although Disney discourages reselling, it is not hard to buy a bib off someone who cant do the run. At ToT a couple weeks ago a girl I was hanging out with had bought a bib from somone who couldnt run and accidentally ended up in front of a video camera at the finish. "whats your name?" ... um... Smile

I just thought athat designating the first few corrals as "female only" was an interesting idea. Doesnt stop a male from being the first one over the finish line, just makes it a lot less likely.

BeeRunB

Id like to see one of two things, (1) stop excluding men from events or (2) make events catering to men.

What are your thoughts?

Free country. If women want to get together and have races just for women, then more power to them, and I hope they have a lot of fun. It's not like they're not letting men vote, smoke, or have credit cards in their own name.

Why is it sideways?

DUDES only THREAD