Packing a lunch (Read 222 times)

Feeling the growl again

Leftovers.  Most of the time.

Been trying to cut down on calories, utilize what I have growing.  Yesterday, a cucumber and a tomato.  Day before, three pears from my orchard.  A PB&J sandwich from jam I made from my grapes last year.  Soon, a few fingerling potatoes with some rosemary and a pad of butter.

Not sure what is so hard.  Take food, throw it in a container.  As long as you have a microwave it is easy.  Without one, sandwiches and fruit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Dried cereal for breakfast.  Goes good with coffee.  Lunch is either a sandwich or leftovers if I am lucky (there is a microwave in the pantry).  Usually I pack a small snack and some fruit too.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Dried cereal for breakfast.  Goes good with coffee.  Lunch is either a sandwich or leftovers if I am lucky (there is a microwave in the pantry).  Usually I pack a small snack and some fruit too.

Yup.  Pretty much.  I do great through lunch, it's once I get home I have problems.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SubDood

.... the fridge is tiny and mostly filled with dog food cans. 

What flavors?

Re dog cans: I work at a pet kennel/grooming facility. Therefore, no desk or any office amenities. Just a teeny fridge and a teenier microwave. I'd like to avoid using both, if at all possible.

Today I brought two bananas and an apple. While I'm used to heartier fare, that did the trick. I even did my intervals after work; although I was a little peckish I had enough energy.

Hip Redux

Re dog cans: I work at a pet kennel/grooming facility. 

Jealous that you get to play with puppies all day long Smile

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have a few containers where you can freeze components of the container to keep things cool--they're old, so I'm not sure they make them anymore, but I'm sure you can find something similar...the brand was Stayfit--and I could take cereal (the milk was stored in the frozen cup part which snapped into the cereal bowl which would hold the cereal and mix the two later) or a salad. If you are able to find little storage containers like that it might broaden your options a little.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Everyone makes fun of me at work, because I always bring fruit for lunch. For the other breaks, I bring string cheese and usually some type of granola. My favorite is the yogurt covered variety my wife gets from a local Amish family.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Everyone makes fun of me at work, because I always bring fruit for lunch. For the other breaks, I bring string cheese and usually some type of granola. My favorite is the yogurt covered variety my wife gets from a local Amish family.

(bragging)  My company supplies free fruit for all employees.

My favorite is the yogurt covered variety my wife gets from a local Amish family.

there's an ever so slight possibility that yoghurt recipe is not quite what you expected...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Not sure what is so hard.  Take food, throw it in a container.  As long as you have a microwave it is easy.  Without one, sandwiches and fruit.

Not saying it's hard, it's just been about twenty-five years since I've packed a lunch and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any culinary technological innovations.

Apparently my boss makes really good beef jerky; maybe we could work out a bonus structure where I get paid in meat.

SubDood

Sorry about this, Josh:

What flavors?

<--- My dog took over the keyboard at the mention of dog food. It won't happen again.

sugnim

Dumb question, I guess. But what are the mechanics of boiled eggs on toast? Hard boiled then sliced?

Pretty much.  We raise chickens & have a large garden, so this is a quick & healthy staple for me.  I bring boiled eggs, bread, and what ever veggies are on hand (tomatoes, onions, kale, spinach, cucumbers, etc.)  When I'm ready to eat, I toast the bread, slice or mash the eggs, maybe add butter, mayo, cottage cheese, or whatever to the toast, put the eggs on top, and then put the veggies on top & eat it open-faced.

sugnim

Re dog cans: I work at a pet kennel/grooming facility. Therefore, no desk or any office amenities. Just a teeny fridge and a teenier microwave. I'd like to avoid using both, if at all possible.

Today I brought two bananas and an apple. While I'm used to heartier fare, that did the trick. I even did my intervals after work; although I was a little peckish I had enough energy.

So, I still don't understand why the dog food is in the refrigerator.

With no fridge and no microwave, I'd say pack PB&J on wheat bread, a salad with citrus & oil as dressing, fruit, and/or dry cereal.