Pet Pictures! Aaaannnnd - GO! (Read 1553 times)

This is Molly, my hiking, backpacking, and running partner.  She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so her athleticism puts me to shame!  When she sees me in running clothes--or whenever she sees her hiking pack, which she's next to in this picture--she gets pretty freaking excited.

Molly, the Trail Hound

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

xhristopher

I have a cat.

Yeah, I know the ear buds aren't in his ears. They wouldn't stay. This looks like I'm trying to strangle him with them instead.

Gorgeous photo Xhristopher!

I used to have these two:

Buckwheat - he was kind of dumb, but lovable.

And Chester, all orange tabbies should be named Chester.  I am not exactly sure what he is trying to accomplish here.  Surprize attack?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And Chester, all orange tabbies should be named Chester.

We've had a Gus (short for Angus) and a Thor.  Our next orange tabby will be Rufus.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This is Molly, my hiking, backpacking, and running partner.  She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so her athleticism puts me to shame!  When she sees me in running clothes--or whenever she sees her hiking pack, which she's next to in this picture--she gets pretty freaking excited.

Tell me about Molly!  Have you had any other Rhodesian Ridgebacks?  Do you prefer female over male?  Do you have any other pets?  Kids?  How are encounters with strangers on trails?  I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want one...but don't have DH convinced.  I wouldn't get one for several years, but want to get a dog I can run with when I get another dog.  She is beautiful!

I have a cat.

Yeah, I know the ear buds aren't in his ears. They wouldn't stay. This looks like I'm trying to strangle him with them instead.

AWESOME looking cat! So regal and he looks like he's deep in thought. Gorgeous.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

jfa

Here's Buddy.

My dogs are fast, not me

This is Argus, Butler, and Callie, our greyhounds.

And this is Aiden, the cat who lets the greys live here.

Robin

Tell me about Molly!  Have you had any other Rhodesian Ridgebacks?  Do you prefer female over male?  Do you have any other pets?  Kids?  How are encounters with strangers on trails?  I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want one...but don't have DH convinced.  I wouldn't get one for several years, but want to get a dog I can run with when I get another dog.  She is beautiful!

I'm happy to tell you all about Molly!  She's my first Rhodesian--my family had always had herding dogs and retrievers before, so a sight hound was a new experience for me.  I've got no personal preference to male-over-female or vice versa in dogs--Molly is just the one of the litter that really called out to me.

I have other pets--a cat and a ferret.  I know that some have trouble with Ridgebacks chasing small animals, but for Molly, it's not been an issue.  I think it helped a lot that she was the puppy in what (the cat thinks) is the cat's house.  Molly's fine with the neighbor's cats (who find their way to my back yard) and other cats she meets when she visits.

She's loved kids from day one.  I've joked that if someone ever wanted to break into my house and get past my guard dog, they just need to have someone under 12 with them.  Kids make her melt--she wants to say hi (read: lick) to every single one she sees.

For strangers on trails (both human and canine), Molly is wonderful now.  However, she was really apprehensive at first--never aggressive, but would clink to my side, raise her hackles, etc.  I socialized her to death (dog parks, trails, doggy day care, taking her to work, etc), and she is now perhaps overly friendly (but that's not really a problem, right?). 

She does, for some reason I can't fathom, like to chase bicycles on mountain bike trails.  Maybe because they move closer to her speed Smile.  When she catches up to them she does...nothing.  

I got her intending to hike/backpack with her, and she's been wonderful for that.  At the time, I had NO IDEA I would take up running again (only been about 3.5 months now), but she's one of my biggest motivators!  It's hard to say no to a run when that tail starts wagging.  For what it's worth, if she's any indication, Ridgebacks tolerate heat very, very well as long as you hydrate them properly (and Molly MIGHT know how to drink from a Camelbak).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Thanks Ryan...I appreciate you telling me about her.  Molly is beautiful.  I want one!

I've joked that if someone ever wanted to break into my house and get past my guard dog, they just need to have someone under 12 with them. 

that's very cute.  I toyed with the idea of getting one years ago. 

sincerely silly

This is my current foster cat, Cory. :-) He's a senior kitty and so he sleeps a lot...

shin splints are my nemesis

Thanks Ryan...I appreciate you telling me about her.  Molly is beautiful.  I want one!

Assuming you're in the US:

Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, Inc.

Ridgeback Rescue of the US

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

You'll ruin your knees!

Security dogs...  (not mine)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Am I doing this right?

This is Bo.  2.5 year old GSP.  He runs the majority of my miles with me.  

Bo

Bo closeup

No excuses....