Getting back into routine (Read 592 times)

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

So I have fallen out of routine, I was running about 12-15 miles a week (running 3-4miles a clip 4 times a week)then in December I got busy with school and then it got cold and I didn't have gear to run in the cold... so I kinda fell out of routine. So then I get cold gear running clothes and school lets out and my plan was to get back into running and be back on track by the time school got back into session. Well my husband and I decide to buy a house so during winter break I decide to pick up as much overtime that I can handle and I put in about 20-30 hours of overtime a week (aka 12-14 hour days)... I only get out running a few times. Now school is back in session, taking 4 classes, working about 45 hours a week and I haven't found my groove (only the 2nd week) and I should of went running last night but I'm tired and didn't feel like it. So how do you all get back into routine if you fell out? I'm running about 20 mins instead of the 33-35 it takes me to run 3 miles. Hoping to get back out there to build myself up again! oh and I decided on my first 2008 race, it's in April so I got a goal just not the motivation!
    -Jen
    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

First off, don't feel you need to jump right back in where you left off. Your situation is different it makes sense that your training will look a bit different. Step one is to make the commitment and you've already done that - good. Next is to take a look at your running goals and schedule and decide how to meld the two together. 3-4 miles 4x per week is a great goal. Can you get back to that? Figure out how much time you need to do that. Take a look at your schedule and see what concessions you can make to fot that in. Maybe you can only run 4 miles 3x per week or two 3 mile runs and two 2 miel runs or something along those lines. Once you've got that figured out, carve your training time in concrete. Make it an unbreakable appointment, just like work related stuff. Once you get things rolling, it'll get easier to stick with it. It's tough. I got my bachelor's degree while training for my first marathon. Looking back, perhaps not he best thing in the world. I got mediocre grades and ran a mediocre marathon and was a vegetable most of the time. You think I would have learned, bu this year I'll be going for my MBA while training for a fall marathon. Some people never learn.
        It's tough to get yourself motivated to get back in the routine that worked. I'm in a similar boat but I don't have school. Instead I have my kid's school schedule to work around as well as my wife's work schedule. If you look at my log, you can see Dec. and Jan. were very inconsistent. I don't know the magic key to jump start your motivation as I haven't found mine. Usually signing up for a race does it for me but I haven't decided on one. You've already picked out your race and that hasn't worked yet. Maybe once it gets closer to spring-like weather it'll make it easier to get out there.
        BTY

I can see we are not in the same age group, but at 43 I know that I need a couple of weeks to a month "off" 2, maybe 3, times a year, or I'll start getting issues. So if I miss a couple of weeks due to LIFE, I just say "meant to do that" and start the process over again, and I can skip the regularly scheduled break. No Guilt - works wonders. Get back out when you feel like it again, maybe? bty

My legs are killing me

Jenn, I get burnt out about once a quarter where I lose my motivation. I alway run through it but when I do a run I do it to have fun. No timing, no distance. I just do what I can do and try to enjoy it.