Help me get rid of my gut!! (Read 1258 times)

mb1973

I have been running for about 4 years now. I have lost around 40 lbs, run a half and a full marathon...Overall I feel great...The problem is my gut...While it is quite smaller than it used to be, it seems to have stopped shrinking...I have a good 3-5 lbs around the midsection I could stand to lose... Just looking for some advice on the best way to strengthen and flatten this area...Thanks!!
      Help with Gender? If you make yourself known to everyone by making your profile/log public, this is a GREAT place to start. Wink I am in your boat, I have all my weight hanging around my waist. There is no miracle cure for this, but I take Ab/Core strength classes at the gym as well as Pilates. These make your muscles stronger, which will help burn fat, but the only thing that will make it come off is diet and cardio..... LOTS of cardio. Try some other types of cardio than running on your alternate days/rest days such as eliptical, spinning, etc. Your body craves challenge and likes the change in routine. All the Fitness mags in the world will tell you that. How's the diet? Eat 5-6 times a day in smaller meals to stay satisfied without overdoing it on the calories. Start an online food journal ( I use the daily plate) many use fitday and log your food for a few weeks. It can be eye opening when you see how much you actually eat. Ab Fat is a long slow process, I am sure we BOTH will get there in time. Good Luck~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

mb1973

Thanks...I am male 35 years old...As far as diet goes, I have been vegetarian for the past couple of years...My downfall is a bit of a sweet tooth, but it is in moderation, I think...

uncontrollable

It is a tough area. I've found at this age (I'm 35 too) there is no way around area specific exercises and lots of em! You got it - ab work. I don't enjoy it but it's the only way and even then - the flat - teen - stomach thing is bye-bye! Aim for improvement vs. perfection and the ab workouts will do that! Oh and whenever I got the 411 on stress raising our cortisol levels which then directs fat deposits primarily to the midsection - I've made more attempts to remove myself from stressful people or situations, avoid them, or just block them out. I've been known to say to people "I will not let you're negative energy & drama raise my cortisol levels so I have to do 100 more crunches - take your reality TV performance somewhere else please!" THEY LAUGH but I am actually not kidding! That's the funny thing! Smile Good Luck!

peace

I have been running for about 4 years now. I have lost around 40 lbs, run a half and a full marathon...Overall I feel great...The problem is my gut...While it is quite smaller than it used to be, it seems to have stopped shrinking...I have a good 3-5 lbs around the midsection I could stand to lose... Just looking for some advice on the best way to strengthen and flatten this area...Thanks!!
            Eat less or run more (in that order). If your weight loss is at a standstill, your calories in are equal to your calories out. Tom

Non ducor, duco.

Oh and whenever I got the 411 on stress raising our cortisol levels which then directs fat deposits primarily to the midsection - Good Luck!
              Is this for real? I thought that was just a goofy commercial for some dumb-ass belly-busting pill. I hate to be a pin-head, but is it based on real science?

Another Passion

I've been known to say to people "I will not let you're negative energy & drama raise my cortisol levels so I have to do 100 more crunches - take your reality TV performance somewhere else please!" THEY LAUGH but I am actually not kidding!
                Made ME laugh. Big grin

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Hoodoo Guru

As a 49 year old male, I have found that: It's more difficult to lose the gut as you age Heredity can be a factor I have always felt that speed work helps lose weight (either true track sessions or running the last 1/4 mile of daily runs faster) Diet is important too (is there something obvious like sodas or alcohol you can cut out?) Ab work helps (if nothing else it helps you hold the stomach in) But, heredity and age are tough to beat if either one (or both) are strongly against you.

The tangents are moot.

uncontrollable

Is this for real? I thought that was just a goofy commercial for some dumb-ass belly-busting pill. I hate to be a pin-head, but is it based on real science?
                    It is true, I swear! And for women - yikes - the issue doubles when our estrogen levels begin to plummet with : the change! The human body is fascinating to me! So much is known out there but sometimes we live our lives in self defeating ways! Craziness! Shocked

peace

rkeddie

Lift free weights on your off days. More and more cardio while you starve yourself will only cause you to burn more and more muscle which will reduce the number of calories you burn while not exercising (95% of the day). I would also hazard a guess that as a vegetarian you aren't getting enough protein.
                        Avoid trans-fats like the plague Big grin http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn9318
                        Kylie Kavanagh, at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US, wondered how this “killer fat” would affect the risk of diabetes in 51 vervet monkeys. She fed one group of monkeys a diet where 8% of their daily calories came from trans-fats and another 27% came from other fats. This is comparable to people who eat a lot of fried food, says Kavanagh. A different group of monkeys was fed the same diet, but the trans-fats were substituted for mono-unsaturated fats, found in olive oil, for example. Both groups ate the same total calories, which were carefully metered to be just enough for subsistence. Path to diabetes After six years on the diet, the trans-fat-fed monkeys had gained 7.2% of their body weight, compared to just 1.8% in the unsaturated group. CT scans also revealed that the trans-fat monkeys carried 30% more abdominal fat, which is risk factor for diabetes and heart disease. “We were shocked. Despite all our enormous efforts to make sure they didn’t gain weight, they still did. And most of that weight ended up on their tummies,” says Kavanagh, who presented her findings at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Washington DC, on Monday. “This is walking them straight down the path to diabetes.” This is the first study to show such a dramatic result on abdominal fat, adds Dariush Mozaffarian at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, US. “The days of thinking about fats just as calories are over,” he says.
                          Eat throughout the day instead of 3 big meals. It is important not to starve your body (you need the energy) Drink lots of water Avoid the empty calories Don’t eat before you do to bed. Lift weights (lower weight, high reps). Run more miles

Res firma mitescere nescit
                          Running in Tampa

The Greatest of All Time

All the abs work in the world will not get rid of a gut. That doesn't mean don't do them, but they are not the cure. Typically a gut is subcutaneous (under the skin) fat. But if you gut is really distended, it could be due to excessing visceral (surrounding organs) fat pushing outward. Either way the cure is to lose the excess fat and voila your abs will pop out. Eat less, exercise more and over time you will lose the extra fat. I also highly recommend weight training.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My legs are killing me

All the abs work in the world will not get rid of a gut. That doesn't mean don't do them, but they are not the cure. Typically a gut is subcutaneous (under the skin) fat. But if you gut is really distended, it could be due to excessing visceral (surrounding organs) fat pushing outward. Either way the cure is to lose the excess fat and voila your abs will pop out. Eat less, exercise more and over time you will lose the extra fat. I also highly recommend weight training.
                              Marcus - it works! I took you advise on this from the other day. I've been logging my calorie intake (keeping it down) and, of course, my running and I've lost 3 pounds. You da man!
                              mb1973

I just started a weight training program about 2 weeks ago that includes ab work... As far as protein goes, I estimate that I get around 75-90 grams a day...Should I be getting more?