Stress Fracture (Read 1027 times)

Just Be

Just wondering what type of pain accompanies a stress fracture. Is it clearly distinguishable from regular muscle soreness?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is usually pain on a bone, tender to touch or direct pressure, and occasionally worse with weight bearing on that bone.

Just Be

Thanks for the reply. Smile Is it usually more of a dull or sharp pain? I'm asking because I'm increasing my running time a lot this month, which probably will also equal an increase in total monthly mileage. I really want to be able to recognize the earliest signs so I can let up and avoid any potential extended rest period.

Now that was a bath...

Mine is severe and has lasted almost a year now. Whilst I was still running it ached lots and I would feel a deeper ache if I moved my leg at the right angle putting pressure on the bone. When pressing down the bone on my leg directly, it would go from no pain at all above the break, to a sharp pain down a 10cm stretch (fracture covers 7 cm in all) above my ankle. I am surprised how little it hurts. When I am not running and have rested it lots I am pain free. If I carry heavy stuff, walk too much, run because I forget I can't or swim it aches again. The majority of the time it doesn't bother me. Accompanying the pain was a weakness when I ran. It felt like I had to try extra hard to lift my leg and it just felt wrong. If I ran fast, hard, or daily the ache got worse and persisted all day. I knew right from the beginning that it was a stress fracture despite it taking 8 months to get a diagnosis. The pain, the ache, was always in my bone. Hope that helps.
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Could be dull or sharp. Stress fractures are insidious. They result from stacked microfractures that never heal. They sneak up on you, by definition.

Just Be

Mine is severe and has lasted almost a year now. Whilst I was still running it ached lots and I would feel a deeper ache if I moved my leg at the right angle putting pressure on the bone. When pressing down the bone on my leg directly, it would go from no pain at all above the break, to a sharp pain down a 10cm stretch (fracture covers 7 cm in all) above my ankle. I am surprised how little it hurts. When I am not running and have rested it lots I am pain free. If I carry heavy stuff, walk too much, run because I forget I can't or swim it aches again. The majority of the time it doesn't bother me. Accompanying the pain was a weakness when I ran. It felt like I had to try extra hard to lift my leg and it just felt wrong. If I ran fast, hard, or daily the ache got worse and persisted all day. I knew right from the beginning that it was a stress fracture despite it taking 8 months to get a diagnosis. The pain, the ache, was always in my bone. Hope that helps.
              Thanks. I'm just worried about sidelining myself because I thought it was muscle soreness. Did the fracture feel different than muscle soreness to you?

Lia's Daddy

I had a stress fracture right above my ankle last year. There was no question in my case. It felt like a muscle cramp at first but within a day it was so sore I had problems putting weight on it. I also had some fairly substantial swelling. My doctor called it a "fairly substantial stress fracture". Anyway it took about 14 weeks to heal. I was in a boot for three weeks and on crutches for the first two. At least with that I could do some cross training after about a month. I wish I could say I learned from my mistake but as you see with my "sore calf" thread I am in a similar position again. Good luck and REST!
                "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

Now that was a bath...

If you have any concern I would seek professional opinion at this point. You don't want to be sat in my chair this time next year. Good luck. I hope with all my heart that it is muscle soreness and nothing more. I always knew that it was the bone. It was the bone that ached. I tried to talk myself into other solutions but it always came down to the fact that the pain was a juddering deep ache in my bone when I ran. Claire xxx
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    I've had two stress fractures. For the first, I had a dull pain in both of my heels for a few weeks, but nothing too horrible. I'm running like the 6th cross country meet of the season and with 200 meters to go "BOOM" it fell like something had just exploded in my right heel. I was dying and struggled to finish... The second was this past summer/fall. Starting in September, I noticed soreness and tenderness along the side of both my left and right legs. Nothing hurt much during the run but afterwards, pain was quite noticeable. Weeks later, I couldn't run at all and ice hadn't done anything. There was one pinpoint that hurt like crazy if pushed on. The doctor kept feeling around and I jumped an inch off the table when he hit that spot.

My sweet new crank!

I swore I had one, after x-rays and a MRI, it turned out it was a swollen nerve ganglion thing...after a month off, all it took was a steroid shot in my foot. Good as new...I guess things aren't always as they seem. Good luck healing.
                      Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                      imsoslow

I had a nasty tibial SF about a year ago. The best description I can come up with is that it felt like someone was tapping a nail into my leg with every step. Embarrassed