How to ease back into running post-bronchitis? (Read 283 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hey guys! So, I have EIA and chronic bronchitis. I've been battling a case for the past 2 weeks. I feel a LOT better today than I did yesterday; I managed a tough lifting session today and pushed a prowler across the gym a couple times, as well as doing some kettlebell swings... but I was still wheezing pretty hard doing just that, and my chest feels way tight and I feel weak even thinking about running. I haven't run since an agonizing 1.5 miles on Monday. I'm thinking of trying an easy 3-5 tomorrow depending on how I feel. Should I go even shorter than that? I'm definitely running on the TM, not outside (my asthma gets triggered by cold). And also, how much conditioning will I have lost? I ran a workout as recently as last Sunday, but it's just unbelievable how totally unable to run I've felt since then. :/ Sort of waiting for things to snap back. Oh, and I have been taking 2 x/day Advair as my doctor recommends and also using my rescue inhaler before I exercise.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

SanGD

well, do not try to indulge in heavy exercises all of a sudden. Ask your doctor first as he can give you better suggestions. also start taking honey in the morning as it can help to keep chronic bronchitis as well as asthma under control.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sneaking in from another forum.

Last spring, I had pneumonia, and just when I was on my way to recovery from that, I had a severe bronchitis.

Before it all started, I had run a tough trail 50k without problems. Six weeks later, after the bronchitis had tapered off, I was reduced to barely being able to run 1-3 miles. The wheezing continued for several weeks, and overall, I felt weak and exhausted after short distances already.

All in all, it took me about a month to recover from the bronchitis after the acute infection had healed off. I had to take things really easy during that time, my pace dropped badly, and I had to work up the distances slowly again. I ran often (5-6 times a week, instead of 3-4 times as usual), but shorter distances, and slow as long as I had problems with wheezing and weakness. That worked well, I picked up over time, and ran my 50-miler in October faster than I had anticipated before this all had started.

Continue to take your medication for the asthma/tightness, this is very important. Don't force yourself to do more than feels comfortable, you only risk permanent lung damage and aggrevate your asthma. As much as you want to work out hard, you'll have to cut back for a while and give your body some rest. Do less, but more often, at a reduced intensity. Slowly work up to the pre-illness level again (first increasing duration, then intensity) - once you are off the inhalors (or take them only as prescribed to control the asthma, not for any acute tightness), you can increase intensity and duration again. This will take time, think 4-6 weeks!

Good luck!

Run for fun.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Thanks, guys. That seems like sensible advice, and I really appreciate it. It is too bad, since I had planned to race the 800m on my birthday (Jan. 3) but I guess I'll see how I feel. :/ Going to try a really slow run today and see how it goes.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Update:  HURRAH!  I finally felt like I could breathe and did 4 super easy miles at 8:40 pace with my breathing totally relaxed.  My stride also finally felt fluid--I'd been having muscle aches from the sickness and they are gone even though I lifted weights yesterday and thought I'd be sore.  So I think I'm getting better.  Doing easy miles was a good idea. Smile

berlin0099

Tiles matching online game play bejeweled 3 let's see here and try this game.