Falling on a trail (Read 152 times)

Carbs and Cabernet

Ha! That's the thing - they kept running. I hobbled back home... I'll do better next time!

Will run for scenery.

Exposed bone = time to hobble/crawl/drag yourself to an ER.

Ha! That's the thing - they kept running. I hobbled back home... I'll do better next time!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think exposed bone would have been a deal-breaker for me, too.  The only reason I kept running on my grade II sprain is that I was part of a 6-person relay team and didn't want us to be DQd because I was a klutz early on our 3rd leg of 13.  Had I been running a solo race I totally would have bailed.  There's hard-core and then there's stupid.  Continuing to run with exposed bone falls under stupid, IMO.  Trail running is pretty hardcore much of the time.  I don't think seeking medical care for a legitimate major wound (22 stitches!!!) makes one less badass.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

GOOD JOB --- if you don't go down once or twice per year, you're just not running properly....i know I usually fall twice per year usually steeping up a curb and shuffling instead of stepping...

Definitely stop the Garmin - dont want your time to get screwed up.......the body will heal  Smile

Big grin  Same here, get kinda lazy (tired, maybe) and not lifting the knee or feet high enough on more technical trails can have me hitting dirt first, "fall on your left" is usually my reaction DURING the fall, why?  Right handed and in the dental field, haha!  AFTER the fall, stop my garmin.  So not surprised you reacted the same. I tend to turn my ankle rather than having stitches from serious cuts, etc.  Ankle problems actually come from years of playing basketball, not from running.  As you can tell, every runner will have a story .........

WineRunner:  So glad you're okay though and thanks for the laugh on stopping the Garmin, so true, I did/do the same.  You're definitely hard-core in my book, take care!

Carbs and Cabernet

S476003

Safety first!

some call me Tim

Fourteen years of running - my third fall on the trail.

I had a somewhat similar experience - last 14 miler I ate it 3 times Big grin Nothing but a bruised ego, though. Heals quick.

Will run for scenery.

After falling at least 5 times in my last race (Pikes Peak Marathon) I started wondering if maybe I should look into some goalie equipment !

Actually that run where I (pretty sure) broke a finger was the first run where I wore padded leather bicycling gloves for the downhill.  They definitely paid off that day (no scrapes) and I've worn them ever since.

S476003

Safety first!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Feeling the growl again

Does it make us hard-core? A little bit at least?!

Hardcore is if you'd stitched it up yourself with a piece of wire and some thread you pulled from your car seat, wile alternating between swigging the bourbon to anethitize and splashing it on the wound to sterilize.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Carbs and Cabernet

I like the bourbon part!

Will run for scenery.

Hardcore is if you'd stitched it up yourself with a piece of wire and some thread you pulled from your car seat, wile alternating between swigging the bourbon to anethitize and splashing it on the wound to sterilize.

For hardcore, you might want to google "Russian appendix Antarctica".

Some Russian dude (who happened to be a surgeon) had his appendix up and burst while he happened to be in Antarctica.  Since nobody else knew WTF they were doing, he did the emergency appendectomy on his frickin self and got himself stitched up before passing out.  Again, better not to get yourself into a situation like this, but if you do : hole E. crap!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Latent Runner

For hardcore, you might want to google "Russian appendix Antarctica".

Some Russian dude (who happened to be a surgeon) had his appendix up and burst while he happened to be in Antarctica.  Since nobody else knew WTF they were doing, he did the emergency appendectomy on his frickin self and got himself stitched up before passing out.  Again, better not to get yourself into a situation like this, but if you do : hole E. crap!

Okay, I'm impressed; that Russian dude is a serious bad a$$.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13