Things that make you swear when you run (Read 1729 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Drivers who turn on their high beams when they see you. Why? Are they trying to be helpful by lighting up the road? Am I that hard to see? I'm wearing a reflective vest. Are you deliberately trying to blind me? Your car is a lot bigger than me so you win. Sigh.

This annoys me too, and I have similar questions about these drivers.  The cynical side of me says they're jerks who are trying to "teach me a lesson" about how dangerous it is to run at night.  The people person in me says they're checking to make sure they're seeing what they think they're seeing, and ensuring they can see me to keep from hitting me without considering how their actions will affect me.

Either way, I always have the crazy impulse to throw my arm across my eyes in an exaggerated fashion and stagger out into the road, apparently blinded by their actions.  Scare 'em to death and, you know, teach 'em a lesson.  Because there's no way that could end badly for me.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Pedestrians that step out of their gardens onto the pavement (sidewalk) without first looking left and right to make sure there are no runners coming.

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

GC100k

This annoys me too, and I have similar questions about these drivers.  The cynical side of me says they're jerks who are trying to "teach me a lesson" about how dangerous it is to run at night.  The people person in me says they're checking to make sure they're seeing what they think they're seeing, and ensuring they can see me to keep from hitting me without considering how their actions will affect me.

Either way, I always have the crazy impulse to throw my arm across my eyes in an exaggerated fashion and stagger out into the road, apparently blinded by their actions.  Scare 'em to death and, you know, teach 'em a lesson.  Because there's no way that could end badly for me.

One morning just before sunrise I was driving to work and I thought I saw some movement on the road in front of me, so I turned on my high beams, which revealed a guy on the road who proceeded to shake his fist at me and yell something.  Next time I'll turn my lights off and keep driving just so I don't momentarily make someone's eyes uncomfortable in my effort to not kill them.

DaBurger

I'm wearing a reflective vest.

Rule #1, you're not as visible as you think you are.

Know thyself.

DaBurger

Pedestrians that step out of their gardens onto the pavement (sidewalk) without first looking left and right to make sure there are no runners coming.

Rule #2, No one expects the Spanish Inquisition

Know thyself.

I don't know about full blown swearing, but the people who try to wave me to my death kind of make me mumble under my breath.

You know when you have to cross a multiple lane street and someone--usually the person in the lane closest to you--decides to be really nice and stop and waive you across? Except that there are 4 lanes of traffic and none of the other 3 are showing any signs of stopping? And the person doesn't get it when you refuse to leave the safety of the curb and actually starts to get annoyed with you for not accepting their gift (of death by automobile)?

Yeah that happened to me again yesterday.

Runners run

cyclists riding at mock speed with ultra silent bikes and passing when it's really only single lane

people who don't yield to pedestrians at lights

Second one gets a swear word, first one gets mild under-my-breath muttering

when I make a mistake and step off the path or road and almost twist my ankle.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34