Things that make you swear when you run (Read 1729 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I (often mistakenly) tend to believe people generally have good intentions, so I'll give Mendeldave the benefit of the doubt and say he was referring to "fat people" walking out to their cars and such, not exercising.

I'll even go one further and cop to wrestling with the same emotion when I run by this new BBQ place on my route and see overweight people coming out, slowly making their way to their cars.  I shouldn't judge - cost to the taxpayers aside, it's their life, if they want to live it huffing and puffing, that's fine - but it's hard to understand.  Just have to remind myself how daunting the task of losing 50-60 lbs. seemed at the outset, and indeed, how much work it was.

Also, I may or may not have waddled out of that same BBQ place last Friday night after having eaten an obscene amount of ribs.  Smile

As to the topic, I haven't encountered anything on a run that has actually caused me to swear, but every once in awhile things happen that I have a hard time letting go of.  Dogs are the biggest culprit.  Not dogs in and of themselves, but if the owner is standing right there in their yard with the dog unsecured, relying on the strident power of their voice to keep the dog away from me...well, spoiler alert ma'am, but the "chase the running thing" instinct is way more powerful than the (I'm sure) hours of training you gave him to heel on command.

This past Thursday, on an out-and-back, two collared dogs I'd never seen before came barreling out of a back yard and started circling me.  I had go to into my "GO ON! GIT HOME!!" clapping and big arm movement mode to get them to let me pass.  As I was doing this, their "momma" was squawking at them to "git back over here" in a voice so cartoonishly East Texan that I could barely understand most of what she said.  As I strode off, I did hear her say, "Sorrrry!"  Yeah, lady.  On my way back, I made ready the pepper spray, which I always keep in a pocket of my hydration pack.  Surely she'll have attached something to those collars, since she was so sorry, but just in case.

Sure enough, as I approached the house, here comes one of them, making a beeline toward me and angling to get behind me.  So, I raised the pepper spray.  I heard "momma" shout something along the lines of  "...(something unintelligible)...'choo spray mah dawg!!"  just before I thumbed the button.  Don't think I got her in the face, but she backed off quick.

Explosion of East Texan fury from momma, who was about 20-30 yards away.  Again, couldn't understand most of what she said, except she kept shouting, "D'joo spray mah dawg?  D'JOO SPRAY MAH DAWG?!??"  Finally, I shouted back, "YES" and continued the tempo run.  Would have liked to stop and shout more, but, you know.  I had a pace to keep.

Sure cast a pall over the rest of the run, though, as I kept turning the incident over and over in my head, and it really shouldn't have.  As I think about it now, it sure was gratifying!  Especially since the dog didn't seem hurt at all.  I did touch base with the local policeman, and he absolutely supports me.  He's apparently had complaints about these dogs before, and my story gives him solid reason to go have a "talk" with her.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

ultramarathon/triathlete

With respect, some of those folks are really future runners.

I don't disparage anyone who's got the guts to get out there.

I didn't mean to imply I felt this way toward fat people running.  The really fat ones out running that I see (often) I think, DAMN, good for you! And I feel happy for them.  I'm referring to the fat ones strolling along snacking on a bag of doritos and a 50oz diet coke.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I (often mistakenly) tend to believe people generally have good intentions, so I'll give Mendeldave the benefit of the doubt and say he was referring to "fat people" walking out to their cars and such, not exercising.

This is exactly what I meant.  --------^

Sorry all, my post definitely wasn't clear.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

seeing time on clock as I crossed the finish line on last race

stshipley7

The arrogance of dog owners who blatantly ignore leash laws boggles my mind. "Oh my dog wouldn't hurt anyone" or "He's just really friendly."

The laws exist for a reason folks. It's to protect other people from your friendly dog.

I don't carry pepper spray, I have found that shouting at the dog is usually sufficient. they are generally more scared of me than the other way around after shouting. But the charging dog during at run, yeah, it's bound to create some loud verbal expletives.

-STS

As to the topic, I haven't encountered anything on a run that has actually caused me to swear, but every once in awhile things happen that I have a hard time letting go of.  Dogs are the biggest culprit.  Not dogs in and of themselves, but if the owner is standing right there in their yard with the dog unsecured, relying on the strident power of their voice to keep the dog away from me...well, spoiler alert ma'am, but the "chase the running thing" instinct is way more powerful than the (I'm sure) hours of training you gave him to heel on command.

This past Thursday, on an out-and-back, two collared dogs I'd never seen before came barreling out of a back yard and started circling me.  I had go to into my "GO ON! GIT HOME!!" clapping and big arm movement mode to get them to let me pass.  As I was doing this, their "momma" was squawking at them to "git back over here" in a voice so cartoonishly East Texan that I could barely understand most of what she said.  As I strode off, I did hear her say, "Sorrrry!"  Yeah, lady.  On my way back, I made ready the pepper spray, which I always keep in a pocket of my hydration pack.  Surely she'll have attached something to those collars, since she was so sorry, but just in case.

Sure enough, as I approached the house, here comes one of them, making a beeline toward me and angling to get behind me.  So, I raised the pepper spray.  I heard "momma" shout something along the lines of  "...(something unintelligible)...'choo spray mah dawg!!"  just before I thumbed the button.  Don't think I got her in the face, but she backed off quick.

Explosion of East Texan fury from momma, who was about 20-30 yards away.  Again, couldn't understand most of what she said, except she kept shouting, "D'joo spray mah dawg?  D'JOO SPRAY MAH DAWG?!??"  Finally, I shouted back, "YES" and continued the tempo run.  Would have liked to stop and shout more, but, you know.  I had a pace to keep.

Sure cast a pall over the rest of the run, though, as I kept turning the incident over and over in my head, and it really shouldn't have.  As I think about it now, it sure was gratifying!  Especially since the dog didn't seem hurt at all.  I did touch base with the local policeman, and he absolutely supports me.  He's apparently had complaints about these dogs before, and my story gives him solid reason to go have a "talk" with her.

obiebyke

Oh man. Dogs. I love them in general, but not their dumb owners when I'm running. I was running yesterday and there was a poodle trailing her leash on the sidewalk with oblivious owners chatting and intently picking up her poop a ways away. As I ran toward her, she spooked, jumping and whining. As everyone knows, dogs who bite usually do so when they're scared. It could've turned ugly. I gave her some room and gave the owners a WTF palms up gesture. This is on city sidewalks, guys. Leash your dogs.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

With respect, some of those folks are really future runners.

I don't disparage anyone who's got the guts to get out there.

It's no joke.  I have several friends who are complete badass runners and cyclists...people who leave me in their dust and are nowadays no strangers to the podium.  People who have dropped 100#s or more.  People who formerly drew the ire of those who have never been significantly overweight and/or inactive.  And now they drop a lot of the people who would have looked down their noses.  Serves 'em right!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Doc, my tooth hurts

Other than a hard gust of cold, mid winter Wisconsin wind that cuts through my clothes, DOGS.

Most dogs where I live are well kept after and most owners are very responsible. There is one old man that I see all of the time that brings his dog to the park and doesn't have a leash on the dog, but the dog doesn't even acknowledge that I am there.  On the flip side I've had dogs snarl at me not on a leash and usually I'll just stand there because the owner is nearby, and they will come and take the dog away. I don't think I've felt threatened by a dog that wasn't my neighbor's dog.

There was one time though when it was early morning and dark. I was running on a city sidewalk and was going the opposite way of a lady walking her dog. I couldn't tell since it was dark, but she didn't have a leash on the dog. The dog lunged at me and caused me to go into the the road where there was an oncoming car approaching. Thankfully the lady was quick acting, but still her dog should have been on a leash since it came after me and could have bitten me OR been run over. I yelled at the lady "PUT YOUR DOG ON A FUCKING LEASH!"  to which she had no response.

Seriously, people's dogs might be harmless but I know 2000lbs of moving machinery isn't.

TripleBock

Nothing makes me swear when I run ... No that's wrong ... When I am tired and not picking up my feet on a trail race and fall for the 5-8th time I tend to swear at myself.  But I really do not swear at others.  My biggest 3 annoyances would be 1)  Mountain Bikers on the Ice Age trail (No bikes are allowed and it is posted at every road crossing) who say they did not know or they got lossed.  2)  Dogs off leash that come running full speed at me (I have been bitten twice by a dog whose owner states "Don't worry he / she is friendly) in Neenah where we have a leash ordinance  3)  Motorists that do not use their blinker.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

GC100k

Bald people.  They're so pathetic!    I'll be running and I see them and I think REALLY, WTF PEOPLE!?!

jfa

I would say I am patient with most stuff, but what really pisses me off is when I see drivers paying more attention to their phones than to their driving. I have had near misses while running where I have had to run up on lawns and yards to avoid getting hit by cars swerving towards me. While running against traffic, I see people's heads down in their laps or looking every way but forward and on the road. Of course, I also see it on the highway in my own car. Just yesterday, I had a big ass SUV drift over in my lane. If I wasn't ready for it (was passing on the left and had seen the SUV drifting before I came up on it) he would have side swiped me. I laid on my horn , but the texter was too busy to be bother with me as well.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Getting thru the lottery for Grandma's marathon (back when they had a lottery) ... paying my non-transferrable / non-refundable entry fee... and then getting injured. 

Tim 

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Loose dogs are my biggest trigger.  I run with a big dog myself, and he has serious issues with dogs especially when they run up to him.  And I have a serious issue with anything that endangers my dog.

Litter.

Hunters who shoot too close to the road and scare the shit out of me.

Horse poop in the road.  This happens more often than you would think.

Aggressive beavers.  This also happens more often than you would think.

ETA: getting my iPod wet and ruining it.  Again.

Leah, mother of dogs

Gator eye

Loose dogs are my biggest trigger.  I run with a big dog myself, and he has serious issues with dogs especially when they run up to him.  And I have a serious issue with anything that endangers my dog.

Litter.

Hunters who shoot too close to the road and scare the shit out of me.

Horse poop in the road.  This happens more often than you would think.

Aggressive beavers.  This also happens more often than you would think.

ETA: getting my iPod wet and ruining it.  Again.

I'm totally opposite of you.

Hunter don't bother me, I hunt myself

Horse poop only means someone else is out enjoying their day.

And I LOVE aggressive beavers.

What? somebody had to say it. LOL

ultramarathon/triathlete

Bald people.  They're so pathetic!    I'll be running and I see them and I think REALLY, WTF PEOPLE!?!

Friendship club.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team