Things that make you swear when you run (Read 1729 times)

Election yard signs.  This time of year is especially bad, as a suburban runner, when many of the cardboard signs have been dislodged leaving only the wire frame behind, strategically hidden roadside in fallen leaves.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

dogs

dogs on chains

dogs on leashes

dogs running loose

dogs behind fences

dogs behind windows

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dogs

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

AnneCA

Fucking Geese

Andy X

AnneCA, +1 for Geese, I got chased off by 8 of them a while back, vicious creatures!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I something awful yesterday on my run.  It broke my heart.  Someone had set a trap in a culvert at the side of the road and there was a live raccoon caught in it (by his paw).  I wouldn't have noticed him, but my dog smelled him and went nuts.  Trapping is in season here, but I never would have expected to see a trap so close to the road.  It makes me wary that there could be a foot trap within two feet of where my dog and I run.

I am not a fan of trapping as a way to hunt.  That poor animal was suffering.  Sad  I came back by it a while later and there was a man there, tappity-tapping on a GPS, so he didn't even bother trying to memorize where he laid his traps.  Some sport.

Leah, mother of dogs

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I something awful yesterday on my run.  It broke my heart.  Someone had set a trap in a culvert at the side of the road and there was a live raccoon caught in it (by his paw).  I wouldn't have noticed him, but my dog smelled him and went nuts.  Trapping is in season here, but I never would have expected to see a trap so close to the road.  It makes me wary that there could be a foot trap within two feet of where my dog and I run.

I am not a fan of trapping as a way to hunt.  That poor animal was suffering.  Sad  I came back by it a while later and there was a man there, tappity-tapping on a GPS, so he didn't even bother trying to memorize where he laid his traps.  Some sport.

That would break my heart, too! Sad

I have no problem with hunting, or exterminating animals, if necessary, but there's no need to prolong the process.  Even around here in rural Texas, most people I know use live traps.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

GC100k

an there, tappity-tapping on a GPS, so he didn't even bother trying to memorize where he laid his traps.  Some sport.

I have a friend who is a trapper.  That's his living.  I'm not sure why he's supposed to make it a sport.

I think it's sad to kill those beautiful animals, especially the bobcats that are his main thing, but it's legal, there's a market, and that's how he supports his family.

Feeling the growl again

, tappity-tapping on a GPS, so he didn't even bother trying to memorize where he laid his traps.  

Could one not say, then, that a runner using a GPS is too lazy to memorize the mile markers on their routes or the distance of each and every route they run?

IMHO using available technology to guarantee you can find each and every trap on what may be a 100 trap line seems a responsible step.

Placing traps in close proximity...apparently only a few feet....from where people and dogs regularly travel, however, seems less than responsible.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"59:50...59:55...Cooldown."

Come on, now!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Come on, now!

+1

Lyerin

Dogs.  Loose dogs, dogs on retractable leashes not retracted, owners who don't pick up after their dogs, barky yappy dogs.  I am fine with dogs when I'm not running, but I am not a fan while I'm out.

Inconsiderate drivers are a big annoyance as well.  I am happy to wait and let the cars go first, but speeding up to get through the intersection before me *when I'm already in it* makes the driver a jerk!

1. Having to stop to tie my shoe.

2. Accidentally stepping into a puddle I'm trying to avoid.

3. My map my run app stopping because I jostled the phone or because my phone ran out of juice.

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

Dogs.  Loose dogs, dogs on retractable leashes not retracted, owners who don't pick up after their dogs, barky yappy dogs.  I am fine with dogs when I'm not running, but I am not a fan while I'm out.

+1

There are a number of loose dogs on my half-mile stretch of road, so I generally drive to another location to run or I walk to the end of my road before starting to run (the dogs are less annoying and more manageable when I'm walking).  Far more annoying are my neighbor's GOATS, who will follow me as far as I go when I'm walking, sometimes forcing me to turn back or knock on the neighbors' door because I don't want to have goats following me for miles.  Roll eyes  I used to be able to fool the goats into going back and then I'd run away before they caught on, but they've gotten smarter lately.

Once a long time ago I had a dog follow me and I just couldn't shake him.  Everyone driving on the road was giving ME dirty looks because he decided to just hang out in the middle of the rural highway he'd followed me onto, forcing cars to stop while he sniffed their hoods.  I had no great way to convey, "This is not my dog!"  Finally, I had to hold him by the collar and walk him a couple miles back to my office where I called the (very apologetic) owner to come get him.

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

ultramarathon/triathlete

Come on, now!

Ha, I didn't get that the first time I read it.  Now, after coming back from my 65 min treadmill run this morning, it clicked.  Nice.

That annoys me 2-3 days a week, more now that it's getting cold out.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team