What is your favorite run ever ? (Read 682 times)

Coach

My All-time Favorite run is through the Russian Gulch State Park in California. There is an Amazing waterfall there, tall trees and my run would always end on the beach. I would go early on a Sunday morning and never see another person. Russian Gulch is not far from Fort Bragg and Mendocino, California. The Obsessed Runner
    My Blog: http://jbcoaching.blogspot.com/ Marathons run: S.F., Boston, St. George, M. of Aviation, Salt Lake City Ultra's run: Big Horn, Squaw Peak, Lean Horse,

Queen of 3rd Place

I hit this on a summer trip a couple years ago, it's a 7 mi trail at a bit over 6000' elevation around Paulina Lake at Newberry National Volcanic Monument in central Oregon. It kicked my booty, complete with a hard fall and cuts on my knee and shoulder, but I had a good run all the same (and there are wild hot springs in the area to soothe your aches): http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/newberrynvm/trails/3955-paulinalakeshore.shtml Arla

Ex runner

Running safely

My most incredible run was this summer in Long Beach, California. I went out for a run with no real distance or time in mind other than I had to catch a plane later that morning. I had a blast and wrote about it at my blog. I did some unbelievable running all week.
          My favorite run ever was at Emerald Isle North Carolina, I could not wait til morning to go out and run on the beach and look at all of the treasures the waves had provided. Beautiful scenery ! I hope to go back someday.....
          I love to eat, therefore I must run!

Dog-Love

I had a great run through Virginia out of Yorktown. Ran 10 miles through all sorts of Civil War history, over little bridges. Stopped at every historical notation! Beautiful! Being from Alaska where each run is a gorgeous run it is hard to come upon the BEST run.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              The Four Pass Loop near Aspen, CO is pretty high on my list, possibly my favorite. It's 28-ish miles over 4 major passes over 12,000'. Stunning scenery, especially when the wildflowers are in bloom.

Coach

Thanks for the comments, but common anybody else want to share?
                My Blog: http://jbcoaching.blogspot.com/ Marathons run: S.F., Boston, St. George, M. of Aviation, Salt Lake City Ultra's run: Big Horn, Squaw Peak, Lean Horse,

Top 'O the World!

I'm a newbie, therefore still very open to suggestions! Like Chris's looks really kewl & sorta close to home....will have to look for that (unless I can get more specific directions!) this summer
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    I'm a newbie, therefore still very open to suggestions! Like Chris's looks really kewl & sorta close to home....will have to look for that (unless I can get more specific directions!) this summer
                    My friend Charles backpacked it with his wife, he's got a map of the route here: http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/wj/4pass.html My Trip Report: http://www.chrisgerber.com/outdoors/trip-reports/aspen-4-pass-loop-20070728.cgi The start of the run is at the Maroon Lake Trailhead, just west of Aspen, CO (driving south out of Aspen, follow the signs for Maroon Lake at, I think, the first roundabout outside of town, just after crossing the river). Be sure to get to the start early because they close to road to private vehicles in the summer and the shuttle buses may not be running when you finish. The road is closed from 9am to 5pm so if you rode the bus, you would have to complete the loop in 7-ish hours or less to catch the last shuttle out (to avoid an additional 10 miles on the road). I've slept in my car at the trailhead without being hassled. It's a pretty long run (28-ish miles, 9000' of gain, high altitude) so it takes a long time to complete the loop. I'm a middle-of-the-pack ultrarunner and it took me just under 9 hours. Peter Bakwin and Darcy Africa (both world class mountain runners) were the fastest in our group, and completed it in 6:45 that day. Our slowest guys took about 10-11 hours to complete it. Also: This is a really hard run to bail out of... you're pretty much committed to the entire loop once you reach the Fravert Basin. The only bailout points on the west side would put you a long long way from your car on the wrong side of the Elk Range. Hiking out to Marble through Lead King Basin would not be trivial at all (10-15 miles to get to the nearest town, you'd then have to walk or hitchike 10 miles or so from Marble out to Hwy 133, then hitchhike Hwy 133 back to Carbondale, then catch the Roaring Fork Transit bus or hitchhike back to Aspen, then get the 10 miles back to your car). Enjoy, it's a lot of fun! - Chris