Personal Record Question (Read 761 times)

Ok, this is just out of curiosity because I am fairly new to this whole running lark. And please understand, I offer no judgment either way on this one as I am a runner who will literally never enter a race. I am curious, however, about the whole personal record thing as it relates to runners who are aging or have suffered injuries. Specifically, here is the question.... is there a point where your PR at a given distance stops being your PR? Ok, that made no sense. Here's how the question came about. I am a former gym rat. I used to live for the gym until injuries forced me out. Then I healed and went back. Then I had more injuries.. etc. I've finally reached a point where I am now old enough ( 41 ) that even though I could probably now go back again I would never hit the numbers I was hitting before. I was discussing weight training the other day and someone asked me what my best bench was. Now, when I was younger and really living it I managed 405 for three reps on more than one occasion. However, that wasn't my answer. Instead I just said that I could probably still push 225 if I had to and left it at that. Of course I then had to ask myself why I bailed on my "PR". The answer was because I am no longer that guy. A "PR", at least for me, is not so much a record of what I have accomplished as the goal that I now have to surpass. Once I accept the fact that I will never again bench 405 then it's pointless to say that I ever did. So now that I am running I am setting my own personal records. Of course, I am utterly convinced that I can and will break each of those. However, I am sure there will come a point where I have to admit to myself that the 5k time I ran x number of years ago is the best I will ever run. At that point I don't know if I would still see that as a PR in the sense that it's not something I could reasonably hope to break. Just curious, I guess, as to the mindsets out there.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

To me, a personal record is the best you've done at something (fastest, longest, whatever). Whether that's a goal you want to surpass is separate. That said, I think there is probably a point where a personal record gets old and you might not measure current results against it, especially if you have taken a break from the sport and are coming back to it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

JakeKnight

A lot of runners choose to have PR's from different eras of their running career. Especially runners who were once competitive in high school or college, then quit running for a decade or two, then came back to it. Which makes sense - it doesn't make much sense to compare your times after 15 years off to your times when you were an 18 year old on the track team. In other words, maybe they could run a 5k in 16:30 in high school. But now they're 40, and the best they've done in the last decade is 18:30. They may count the slower time as their PR. Or note both PRs, with some annotation differentiating between the two. Personally, I remember what I could do as a teenager - when I wasn't even a runner. But those aren't my PRs. My PRs are all since I actually started running. Some people even list different eras in their signature line. For example, listing PRs from their 40s, then from their 60s.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Some people even list different eras in their signature line. For example, listing PRs from their 40s, then from their 60s.
          Or 20th Century and 21st Century. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Like Jake said, I don't count my times from my youth -- in fact I avoid admitting to them. I'll never approach them again, and don't care about them. Actually, I consider each birthday now to be kind of a reset on the PR collection, because I'm on the downhill side of the aging curve, and I don't want to compete with my younger self -- that will be a clearly losing expedition.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

"......as I am a runner who will literally never enter a race." That is really too bad. Racing is fun!

Runners run

JakeKnight

"......as I am a runner who will literally never enter a race." That is really too bad. Racing is fun!
                I totally missed that. Yeah. Anotherfinemess: go enter some races. Trust me. You'll get hooked. It's fun. ------------- And as AmoresPerros points out, I forgot to mention that some smart people just reset their PRs every time they hit a new age group.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree about racing! I'm about as slow as they come, but I love it. Even though I consider myself to have only one pace, somehow I DO go faster during a race. It's a great way to meet people in the local running community, too. And my friends are always impressed when I tell them I've run a 10K race or am training for my first half marathon. You should try it!

I'm still in the process of trying to beat all of my high school and college PRs - the 5k is pretty much the last one that I am worried about. I've already beaten my marathon, half marathon, 1 mile and 10k PRs (road time for 10k, not track time, anyway). The USATF and other organizations have age graded formulas so that you can compare times if you don't want to deal with 20th vs 21st century (for example.) You could just age grade all of your times and see how they compare that way.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The USATF and other organizations have age graded formulas so that you can compare times if you don't want to deal with 20th vs 21st century (for example.) You could just age grade all of your times and see how they compare that way.
                      Heh. I'm not old enough for age grading to make much of a difference. Which means either: a) at 37, if I train hard and smart enough, some of those 20th century PRs might be attainable within the next few years b) My 21st century PRs suck, comparatively speaking. I prefer to go with a) and think of the 21st Century of as work of progress.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Interesting question and thread. I was contemplating this the other day when I was out running, because of something that Spaniel said in another thread. The particular reason that I was thinking about it is that so far in my life, I've tended to become absorbed in something for a while, then gradually move away from it with time. I'd really like running to be different. I've come to really love it and it's really good for me. At least part of my motivation though is to beat my own previous times, so I wondered whether my motivation would suffer when that eventually becomes unlikely. Hopefully though, I've got far enough to go that, by the time I get there, I will already be so thoroughly "a runner" that it will stick with me no matter what. Either that, or I'll be older and wiser and realize the relative unimportance of it all in the grand scheme of things and just keep running because I can.
                        Brandon
                          Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if this question would result in a big ball of flames headed my way. I think that I agree with the posters who set aside the PRs from their younger days. I think so, anyway. I've been running now for 18 months and even at age 41 I have still managed to get steadily faster, relatively speaking. I mean I'm slow. Seriously slow. But I'm faster than I was. So for me right now my PRs are my PRs because I truly believe that I can still beat them. I guess I am afraid of that time where I have to admit that I will never run X distance as fast I did "back then". I know that if I walked into a gym now and started hitting the iron again I would try very very hard to forget anything I had accomplished before. Notice I say I would try. I have a lingering suspicion that those old numbers would be haunting me like a ghost. That's why I asked the question. As for the racing thing, it's pretty simple. I enjoy running. Honestly, I never thought I would enjoy running but I do. I ran my first mile without stopping in February of '07 at the age of 39. Prior to that the only time in my life that I had run more than half a block was in high school gym class. I truly expected to hate running but I reached a point where it was all I had left. So why not race? Because I know how my mind works. I know that if I raced once I'd want to race again. I know that I'd train and push until I was able to at least rack up some decent age group placings. I also know that wouldn't be enough. It would be the gym all over again. It would be "if I can bench 225 I can bench 245" right up over 400lbs and let's ignore the injuries along the way. No pain, no gain, right? In the end I would grind my legs into dust in much the same way that my shoulder now more closely resembles a bag of walnuts than it does any part of the human anatomy. So instead I run. I structure my training with planned "races" that are chosen days where I set out with the goal of doing a predetermined run at a better pace than I ever have before. I train for those "races", but I also understand that it's just me and I can have a bad day and do my "race" on the next run. So far it's just enough of a challenge to keep me happy without having the self-destructive side kick in.
                          And who am I anyway?
                          Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                            You ought to find a little 5k fun run or maybe a well organized 5 miles and give it a whirl....you may be surprised to find that it will stir a whole new set of juices and you'll get hooked all over again....but differently... I know in my case I never ran a mile until I was trying to become an Army Office (age 23) and I needed to pass the Army PT test which included a 2 mile run...so I started going out for 1 or 2 miles ever day and got hooked.... Now after a long layoff - I'm 56 and run a 5K in about 27 minues.....looking to break that one soon....and have an utlimate goal of 21 minutes for a 5K (and am increasing my distance and doing interval work with a running club on Wed to do it).......that's hardly a world class time, but if I can get there at my age or when I get there, I can still be in the upper % of runners........Ill never make 16 minutes like a lot of people...but I can stil have goals. and set PR's -its what makes it interesting... SO CAN YOU But we can all have goals and strive for them...we just have to make sure to review them to make sure they are realistic and achievable and still apply to US...and then go for the gusto....... Turn those goals into a PR and go for it....it takes the day to day out of running and gives you something to talk about to your family and friends (and it will really annoy them most of the time)....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Good question, one that I currently deal with too. I'm 42 and have a running, um' 'er "career?" that started when I was 10 years old. My current formula is to think of my BC PRs and AC PRs. Translation: Before Children PR and my After Children PRs. I stole the acronmyn from a dad I know who runs and coachs a high school cross country team. And yes, get out and race. If you partake, perhaps find one with a post race beer garden. Always a good incentive to get to the finish line.
                              Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                              JakeKnight

As for the racing thing, it's pretty simple. I enjoy running. Honestly, I never thought I would enjoy running but I do. I ran my first mile without stopping in February of '07 at the age of 39. Prior to that the only time in my life that I had run more than half a block was in high school gym class. I truly expected to hate running but I reached a point where it was all I had left. So why not race? Because I know how my mind works. I know that if I raced once I'd want to race again. I know that I'd train and push until I was able to at least rack up some decent age group placings. I also know that wouldn't be enough. It would be the gym all over again. It would be "if I can bench 225 I can bench 245" right up over 400lbs and let's ignore the injuries along the way. No pain, no gain, right? In the end I would grind my legs into dust in much the same way that my shoulder now more closely resembles a bag of walnuts than it does any part of the human anatomy. So instead I run. I structure my training with planned "races" that are chosen days where I set out with the goal of doing a predetermined run at a better pace than I ever have before. I train for those "races", but I also understand that it's just me and I can have a bad day and do my "race" on the next run. So far it's just enough of a challenge to keep me happy without having the self-destructive side kick in.
                                Sounds like you've thought it through pretty well, and it sounds pretty smart to me. I'm really getting hooked on the races, but if racing interfered with making running a lifelong passion ... I'd skip the racing, too. Here's a thought: maybe someday you've got a future in ultramarathoning. Yeah, they race ... but its a different mentality that might match up with yours pretty well.