How fast does battery drain when using GPS watch in navigation mode? (Read 59 times)

hectortrojan

I am curious if someone has done this few times to know the difference between

1. using the GPS watch normally for tracking an activity VS
    2. using the GPS watch in navigation mode; where you upload a map and follow it.

an amazing likeness

I'd expect it would be very specific to the device, its battery, its processor and screen, its overall design, etc. Do you have a set of specific devices in mind?

But just pondering it, with being saddled with pesky facts...the extra work of the moving map display is processor power to generate the map from storage, render it, and display it -- that's got to be a lot of oomph compared to just displaying simple metrics from the GPS chip.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hectortrojan

I'd expect it would be very specific to the device, its battery, its processor and screen, its overall design, etc. Do you have a set of specific devices in mind?

But just pondering it, with being saddled with pesky facts...the extra work of the moving map display is processor power to generate the map from storage, render it, and display it -- that's got to be a lot of oomph compared to just displaying simple metrics from the GPS chip.

I use  Garmin Forerunner 310xt. I have used the course navigation function few times. Whenever I use it, I use it for few minutes when I need help and I turn navigation function off whenever I get back on track.

I am curious coz I am thinking about going on a unfamiliar route/s and I am wondering if it doesn't drain battery too much, I would just keep course navigation function ON all the time and wont need to worry about looking directions carefully, carrying directions and physical map or anything of that manner.

rmcj001

Don't know about the navigation features, but if I've read this article correctly, he had his navigation turned on for 25 1/2 hours of 37 hours of battery life.  Given you only have 1/2 his battery life, will say 18 1/2 hours, then you should be able to get at least 12:15 out of your unhacked watch. Don't know if that is enough time for you...

Ray

joescott

Battery life will be the same as if you were just out running (with GPS on).  In the 310XT there is not Ultratrac mode to confuse matters.  Heck, there is not even a low-power watch mode, per se.  When GPS is on, it is on, and it drains the battery at the same rate whether you are doing navigation or just out running.  Other variables can come into play like how much the backlight is on, but all other things being equal, same same.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

hectortrojan

Ray and Joe - Thanks for your responses. It helped a lot.