When you really need a fix (Read 676 times)

For all you runners out there that run because you just have to run. Yea I am talking about YOU, you addict. When you really really need your fix what satisfies more? Going long or going fast? For me nothing satisfies like moderately long. Basically long enough that I feel it is stretching my comfort zone but not so long that it hurts. I am still very slow so that takes to much time. Going fast gets me there quicker but it doesn't feel quite as good.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Totally depends upon my mood and the weather. If it's warm I'd rather go a bit longer and slow...if it's cool there's nothing like a shorter, fast run.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I like the long runs best-The earlier in the day the better. This summer I hope to start them at 5AM. I have a 28 miler scheduled in August. Already looking forward to it in anticipation of the charge I'll get when I complete it. Torn by the fact when the day comes, summer will almost be over Sad As I get older, man does time just seem to whizz by.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Depends on my mood, schedule and situation. Right now nothign satisfies like intervals on the track.
            I never crave long runs, but I definitely crave fast runs. Especially when I'm not supposed to do them, like in a taper. When I cheat and do a fast run in violation of my training schedule, I refer to it as "feeding the beast."

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

HOSS1961

When I have the need....the need is for speed. Wink
              HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Queen of 3rd Place

Usually the long runs, they unkink my brain. Arla

Ex runner

Think Whirled Peas

Fast. Kill it. Hammer. Pounding. Soul-crushing adrenaline amped fever pitched insanity from the word "GO". Fast fixes much, 'cause it doesn't leave you able to think about anything else other than the run. And pain. Don't forget the pain... Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Giants Fan

I have to agree with the long run. Nothing better than coming home totally drained after pushing my body to a mileage I may have never attained before. Love it! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I'm in between...I love my mid-long runs. 9-13 miles... If my body would let me do them more often I would. But I like long slow miles over fast.
                      wallercp

When I really need a fix I'll go out for a moderately long run consisting of intervals of running and sprinting, with an all-out sprint for the last half mile. Is the proper term for this a fartlek or intervals? I've heard both and never been part of XC or anything.