Travelling to near Baltimore (BWI) airport and Rockville, MD...Any suggested routes? (Read 771 times)

Anyone have pizza?

I'm visiting with family this coming weekend (Aug 10-12). Does anyone live in the area a/o know of any good routes to run? I'm a little concerned with Saturday, because I'd like to do a long run too. Any thoughts??? Undecided

Anyone have pizza?

Hah! My topic title reads as if I were looking for driving directions.....yuk yuk.,.. Tongue
        My neck of the woods!! I live in Baltimore currently, and I grew up near Rockville. There is a GREAT trail -- the NCR (north central railroad) trail - near Baltimore (about 15 mi north of the city). It's a flat, gravel trail, miles marked, port a potties, next to a stream, shadded, etc. -- very runner friendly. Otherwise, running in Baltimore City is okay (that's what I do), especially around Fort McHenry and the Inner Harbor. As for Rockville -- there are a few parks in that area -- otherwise, you can run up / down Rockville Pike, the main drag in that area.
        2009: BQ?

Anyone have pizza?

Hi Trishie, Yeah, I have an Uncle lives in Linthicum, minutes away from the airport and another one who lives in Rockville on South Van Buren street. I haven't seen them in a while, but I definitely want to still be able to run. I just found this on the web -> http://www.pmw.com/running/runs/NCRTrail/ I'll go through it and see if I can find where the exact starting point is, that would be closest to Linthicum, and just drive from there to the start. Thanks again Trishie!!! Big grin Big grin

Anyone have pizza?

I just printed all the stuff out. There was some nice areas in Rockville, but you are right. That trail you sent me looks great. Have you run it before? Arethe water stops mentioned along the route active or would you recommend I bring water bottles along?
                I LOVE the NCR trail ... it's where I do my long runs. I would run more on it, but it's a 20 minute drive for me, and it's easier for me to just run around the city. It's so nice though --- it can get crowded sometimes, but the bikers and runners manage to get along (most of the time Wink). There USED to be a water fountain somewhere a little off the trail, but last time I was there, it wasn't on. I would definitely bring your own water!! If you are running more than 14 miles, you'll hit Monkton. (It's at mile 7ish on the trail). It has real flushing bathrooms and, I THINK, a water fountain. If you are there on Saturday - early - you'll probably run into some of my "training group" -- the NCR Trail Snails Big grin

The voice of mile 18

if it's near columbia, MD this 10k course left an impression on me as one of most brutual runs I've done: http://www.tricolumbia.org/images/2007%20Columbia%20Tri%20Course%20Map%20-%20Swim%20&%20Run.pdf

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Anyone have pizza?

Thanks Trishie, the water belt's coming then!!

Anyone have pizza?

Trishie, I am in Rockville at my Unc's. I only have a few minutes here, but wanted to say that the trail you told me about was an absolute dream! I ran 16 miles on it, and felt like I could have kept on going! It was all in the shade, and even a nice breeze to boot! I'm going to post it up (along with pictures) up in my blog when I get back home, but be assured that I will be giving you much deserved 'props (as they say in my 'hood) for enlightening me to such a wonderful place to train!! Thanks again!!! Big grin
                        So glad you liked it!! It's THE most runner friendly trail! Great run!!

Anyone have pizza?

Hi Trish, I just finished blogging my trail and I put up a bunch of pictures that I took with my Blackberry while I was running. Click on my blog and let me know what you think! Cool
                            Hi Trish, I just finished blogging my trail and I put up a bunch of pictures that I took with my Blackberry while I was running. Click on my blog and let me know what you think! Cool
                            Looks GREAT! So glad you enjoyed the trail ... and I gotta love what you re named it Wink ... maybe we can convince Maryland to make that the official name? Tongue So glad I could help and that you enjoyed your run!

Anyone have pizza?

Yep! That's it! From now on anytime I go back down there, it will be a long run on the Trishie Trail! Thanks again! Big grin