2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

fake it till you make it

20K race this morning in 1:34:27 (7:37 pace).  Not that I've been obsessing over race time predictors (ok, yes I have.  a lot.), but that has me finishing my marathon around 3:30 (3:25-3:35 depending on predictors). I love the sound of that, but certainly thought during todays race that a marthon suddenly seems a long time to keep up such an effort!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Not that I've been obsessing over race time predictors (ok, yes I have.  a lot.)

Oh, how I know the feeling!  Reading this called out a full belly-laugh from the bottoms of my blistered toes.

Just keep in mind the race predictors assume same conditions: so if your 20k time was in 40F, but your marathon is in 70F, there the accuracy is a bit muddy.  Still, good luck to you!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Christirei

3:50:08. Crashed and burned the last 10k, I'll write more later!
        stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Ouch.  Sounds nasty.  But hey, still sub-4!  Congrats!

Looking forward to reading the race report.

fake it till you make it

3:50:08. Crashed and burned the last 10k, I'll write more later!

Congrats on the sub 4! Damn that last 10K- always the unknown.

MTA: Stalking runlarryrun's log I see more sub-4 congrats are in order.

Nice racing this weekend both of you!

Christirei

Well, here is my brief race report from yesterday's marathon in St Louis. The weather forecast for the day had been thunderstorms, but over the course of the week it changed to storms later in the day, that left the morning with a party cloudly, super humid, warm race temps. I started the race with the 3:45 pace group and my plan was to stay with the group until the last 10K and then pick it up a bit and hopefully come in just under the 3:45 mark. Around the halfway point it got really hilly, and the temps and sunshine were definitely starting to get to me, but I was able to stay with the pacer and I thought I could hang in there. Until mile 20...I started walking through the water stops, dumping water on my head and down my back and I started losing the pace group and realized that I just phsically could not run any faster to make up the distance. I lost ten seconds off my pace, then ten more seconds, mile 23 I had a total shut down and clocked a 9:40 mile. I hurt so badly at that point, even realizing that I had a 5K left was no consolation. I barely remember the last section of the race, I just kept telling myself that I would finish it out! Mile 25 was equally rough and I clocked my slowest mile, 10 min even Sad  when I finally saw the finish line I wanted to kick it to the end, and realized I had absolutely nothing left to give. I lost the five minutes from my goal time all in the last 10K of the race.  Can't say I'm one of those people already looking forward to their next race! I hurt pretty much everywhere, and was obviously tensing up my shoulders, they are sore today too! But I can say I did it and for a first time, I'll take it.

But I can say I did it and for a first time, I'll take it.

Yes you did, and that can't be taken from you.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No shame in what you did, Christi!  As the people in Boston today know, heat and humidity are a huge deal!  (I well know the experience of the pace group fading into the distance, but I didn't have the humidity excuse.)  Congratulations!  Rest up, and before you know it, you'll be thinking about signing up for the next one! Smile

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good job christi!

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well, here is my brief race report from yesterday's marathon in St Louis. The weather forecast for the day had been thunderstorms, but over the course of the week it changed to storms later in the day, that left the morning with a party cloudly, super humid, warm race temps. I started the race with the 3:45 pace group and my plan was to stay with the group until the last 10K and then pick it up a bit and hopefully come in just under the 3:45 mark. Around the halfway point it got really hilly, and the temps and sunshine were definitely starting to get to me, but I was able to stay with the pacer and I thought I could hang in there. Until mile 20...I started walking through the water stops, dumping water on my head and down my back and I started losing the pace group and realized that I just phsically could not run any faster to make up the distance. I lost ten seconds off my pace, then ten more seconds, mile 23 I had a total shut down and clocked a 9:40 mile. I hurt so badly at that point, even realizing that I had a 5K left was no consolation. I barely remember the lastly be section of the race, I just kept telling myself that I would finish it out! Mile 25 was equally rough and I clocked my slowest mile, 10 min even Sad  when I finally saw the finish line I wanted to kick it to the end, and realized I had absolutely nothing left to give. I lost the five minutes from my goal time all in the last 10K of the race.  Can't say I'm one of those people already looking forward to their next race! I hurt pretty much everywhere, and was obviously tensing up my shoulders, they are sore today too! But I can say I did it and for a first time, I'll take it.

You will probably be looking for your next race before the week is over. Congrats!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

... when I finally saw the finish line I wanted to kick it to the end, and realized I had absolutely nothing left to give. I lost the five minutes from my goal time all in the last 10K of the race. 

Wow, congratulations for testing yourself.  It must have been very hard to finish that marathon out.  It sounds like you gave it your all.  You should be proud!

Christirei

Thanks guys, I'm interested to hear from Runlarryrun and his take on the race!

3:46:48 for me at GO! St Louis. I'll write more later, but I agree with Christirei's assessment. The conditions were tough, and the second half of the course was HILLY and HOT! My overall pace was in the 8:39 range and I managed to pull out an 8:39 mile for mile 26. That alone is enough to make we want to try this marathon thing again!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

3:46:48 for me at GO! St Louis. I'll write more later, but I agree with Christirei's assessment. The conditions were tough, and the second half of the course was HILLY and HOT! My overall pace was in the 8:39 range and I managed to pull out an 8:39 mile for mile 26. That alone is enough to make we want to try this marathon thing again!

<LIKE>