2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Its been quite a while since there has been any action on the thread ... no marathons anyone?? Smile

I had just started to get back into running after more than a 2 month hiatus when i sprained my ankle playing badminton and was sidelined for another 10 days .. so while i still feel a small niggle, the leg seems to be holding up more or less ok. Paid my registration fees for Osaka Marathon in Japan, after having got through the ballot so will start to put a training plan together for that (race is Nov 25th). Tokyo marathon (which is usually the last sunday of Feb) will open for registrations soon and i plan to make it 3 in a row. After that, i am toying with the idea of running Comrades next year but thats just a pipe dream at the moment. Smile

Do write in folks .. its been too long without any news from this tribe ..

Osaka marathon. Congrats on getting in. We are going to Japan in October. I waited to late decide on Japan to find a marathon.Might look for a 5k or something. the knee is not holding up to speed work.< 4 hours will be a challenge workout speed work.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

vinno101

Its been quite a while since there has been any action on the thread ... no marathons anyone?? Smile

I had just started to get back into running after more than a 2 month hiatus when i sprained my ankle playing badminton and was sidelined for another 10 days .. so while i still feel a small niggle, the leg seems to be holding up more or less ok. Paid my registration fees for Osaka Marathon in Japan, after having got through the ballot so will start to put a training plan together for that (race is Nov 25th). Tokyo marathon (which is usually the last sunday of Feb) will open for registrations soon and i plan to make it 3 in a row. After that, i am toying with the idea of running Comrades next year but thats just a pipe dream at the moment. Smile

Do write in folks .. its been too long without any news from this tribe ..

Well the plan here is to build up to run my first marathon on Nov 4 as a qualifier for the comrades and all things going well to build up to the comrades in 2013!! Here's hoping you make that pipe dream a reality.

Sub 20 5k

!st Marathon in November

Qualify for comrades marathon 2013

Turbolegs

Runnerclay .. thanks for the wishes. How long are you in Japan for and where? If this your first time, you are going to have a really exciting experience there.

Vinno - FIngers crossed, we shall hope to see each other at the start line for the oldest ultra ever.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

Been a while here ... where are you guys at??

Not much news here except that i am yet to start training for the Osaka Marathon in Nov .. havent even got around to making a plan so hope to fix that somehow tomorrow. Will be using a hash of pfitz 18/55 and see where that gets me. After i am done with this, am gonna take Jeff's advice and try to improve my speed at the shorter distances before progressively building up for longer distances.

Write in people ....

Wing

Joggaholic

I'll likely run my second marathon in mid October. It's hard for me to pass this up because it takes place right where I do my weekly long run (so I'll be there running at least half of it anyway). I have not decided if I will train specifically for it though. I'm currently taking a short break to keep PF at bay. I'm not injured yet but I'm taking a cautious approach to that slightly annoying tightness and pain on my right foot. Once I get back on my feet I will try to at least maintain around 40mpw, throw in a few 20 milers before the marathon and taper, so no dedicated training plan, just basic base building that I want to maintain in the future with or without a race. I did the same thing in my last marathon but hopefully I'm a little more fit this time and will be able to inch closer to the sub-4 target.

Christirei

Was hoping to fit a marathon in this fall, but am taking an anniversary trip and that kind of messes up any plans I was trying to make. Since I will NEVER run a spring marathon again, I'm shooting for something next fall/early winter. I am very interested in the Columbus marathon in October....

Turbolegs

I ran my longest run today in 6 months (not much, only 17kms) in sweltering heat and rediscovered that going out in such hot humid weather (as in Singapore) without your shades or without body shield can be very uncomfortable once you get back home and stand in the shower. Shows how long i have been out of touch. Smile August has been a decent month so far - i have managed to somehow run everyday even if only for a shortwhile and have been keeping it quite easy while i ramp up my mileage. I think after this week i should be able to start doing tempos once a week and not feel too fatigued for doing it. August thus far has already exceeded what i ran in total in the three months prior.

How is training coming along for the rest of you?

..going out in such hot humid weather (as in Singapore) without your shades...

... I can't get on with running in shades - I've tried, but I just find it makes my face feel hotter...

Turbolegs

... I can't get on with running in shades - I've tried, but I just find it makes my face feel hotter...

Cant say I have had that happen to me before. I have Oakleys, which have polarized lenses and hydrophobic coating to keep it "drizzle" free and they actually work psychologically for me in making the surroundings look less hot than it actually is. The thing is i also have a Sony in-ear walkman which i have started using off late and its a minor challenge to get both the headphones and the shades on and make them stay that way. Smile

Turnbaugh

Well, it's now official: due to an unrelenting case of Achilles Tendonitis, I won't be running the Marine Corps Marathon this year. Sad   I was able to recoup most of the cost through the MCM's transfer program, and I'm hoping to revisit the "under 4" goal in 2013, potentially with the same marathon.

I've definitely done plenty of reading on AT, and am currently seeing a physical therapist, so I'm hoping to be back on the road soon but am exercising plenty of caution in the meantime.  Best of luck to all the fall marathoners, I hope everyone breaks the 4-hour barrier!

vegefrog

Well, it's now official: due to an unrelenting case of Achilles Tendonitis, I won't be running the Marine Corps Marathon this year. Sad   I was able to recoup most of the cost through the MCM's transfer program, and I'm hoping to revisit the "under 4" goal in 2013, potentially with the same marathon.

I've definitely done plenty of reading on AT, and am currently seeing a physical therapist, so I'm hoping to be back on the road soon but am exercising plenty of caution in the meantime.  Best of luck to all the fall marathoners, I hope everyone breaks the 4-hour barrier!

Turnbaugh, sorry to hear this!  I'm fighting PF...sort of pretending it isn't there... On my long runs it numbs out and then the next morning I roll out of bed and curse for a few minutes. Take the day off then start the training week again on Monday.

Not sure, if this is going to be able to keep up. For now I'm optimistic, but... we shall see what happens.

Turbolegs

Andrew, Runningfirst, Franzen - how did your respective marathons go??

Turbolegs

Sorry to hear about this  - totally sucks for now but once you are fully recovered, you will come back stronger than before. Hope you are keeping yourself fit with swimming / cycling or so.

Wing

Joggaholic

I'll be running Frankenthon on 10/20. Hope to at least PR, not sure if I can get to sub-4. Don't really know where my fitness level is currently at since I don't race much at all...

Turbolegs

I'll be running Frankenthon on 10/20. Hope to at least PR, not sure if I can get to sub-4. Don't really know where my fitness level is currently at since I don't race much at all...

Just had a look at your log. Barring any untoward incidents, you have a really strong shot at making the sub-4 so i am sure you will get the chance to let yours guns blaze over the 42kms. All the best for your race - i will update the starting list.