2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

MattJ - Did you run at Dallas on Dec 2nd? How did it go?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

vegefrog

Taper SUCKS. HA.

I PR'd my 5K last Saturday by a  minute (21:37)...so I know I'm def in good shape. No nagging injuries, no real issues other then going crazy not being able to run more then 3 miles. Also I've gained a few lbs already....BOO. I wanted to be around 105 on race day, but I think it's gonna be close to 110. I can't eat fewer calories then I am now without being hungry and I can't add more miles so... Oh well.

The only negative for race day looks like it will be the weather. Stupid Charleston weather. It's been a lovely Fall, with temps in the 40's and 50's. So of course we are having a mild December and looks like 70 and humid on race day. I run soooooooooooooo much better in the cold AND my hydration planning was based off the last 2 months or so, not a hot, humid day. I'll deal with it. 

Still all things pointing to me having a good race and I plan to start/finish with the 3:55 pacer! Or as close to her as I can!!!!

Surely your 5k and 10k indicate a faster marathon than that? Maybe 3:45?

Have a great race!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

SimonR...thanks for the confidence!!! It means a lot to me actually.  I'm trying to be conservative...Scared to set my sights too high here, as this will be my first REAL marathon.

We will see on race day. If the weather was in the 40's I would agree with you that I am capable of closer to a 3:45...but with temps in the 70's and humidity @ 86%...I'm just gonna stick to the 4 hour plan!!

I'm doing the New Orleans Marathon Feb 24th, so that's why  I'm not too worried about pushing my limits to capacity this weekend. I want to have a nice SOLID race...and still feel good enough to enjoy the post-race beers!!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Vegefrog, it sounds like you're in perfect shape for this race, and it's okay that you put on a few pounds during the taper.  That's a good thing.  Have a great race!!

vegefrog

Thanks LedLincoln!

2 more days!!!! I'm so excited but also nervous!!!!!!!!

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks LedLincoln!

2 more days!!!! I'm so excited but also nervous!!!!!!!!

Best of luck! Waiting to hear good news and report from you!

vegefrog

ACK! NERVES!

I keep flip-flopping between the uber-confident "I am going to KILL THIS"  and freaking out "What if I hit the wall? What if I have to pee? What if I can't even finish?"

Hopefully going to the expo and getting my bib will calm me down...

I can't wait to write my race report Sunday Smile

vegefrog

3:51.37

Felt great. Sandbagged it.

Think I can BQ @ NOLA in February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only have to drop 11 minutes and today was...well I sang and smiled and danced the whole way Smile

Race report tomm. Tonight I must drink Smile

Turbolegs

3:51.37

Felt great. Sandbagged it.

Think I can BQ @ NOLA in February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only have to drop 11 minutes and today was...well I sang and smiled and danced the whole way Smile

Race report tomm. Tonight I must drink Smile

This is awesome stuff vege !!!!!!!! Yes, sandbagger alright Big grin

Very happy for you .. and look forward to your race report .. hopefully, you also had time to do smile for the camera you can post up.

Now for that well deserved rest .............

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

Sign me up. I'm running the 2012 Tucson Marathon on December 9th with the goal of going sub 4. This will be my first.

Crushed my goal. 3:42:08.

Turbolegs

Crushed my goal. 3:42:08.

Wow !!! Fine end to the year; Fantastic stuff !!! Did you start the race looking at finishing sub 3:45 or did you wing it after feeling good at 20 miles? This is huge...

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

I was shooting for around 3:45, but figured I'd end up short. I guess I didn't slow down as much at the end than I had thought I would.

vegefrog

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbolegs

Guys .. there is gonna be a load of good wishes floating around this time of the year so this is no different ...

To all the folks who took the step forward to become a part of the collective here, a virtual toast to all of you ..  good fun training ... exhilaration and frustration in equal measure ... several of us hit our goals and several of us came close ... the fact is that we all got to the start line with a legit reason to be there .. and that alone is reason enough to celebrate ... the end outcome is just icing on the cake.

I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of the group and i look forward to meeting more of us in the New Year 2013.

WISH EVERYONE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A FANTASTIC NEW YEAR 2013.

Cheers,

Mahesh / Turbolegs