2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

will do a short 10 or 12 miles this

I would not do it. Do a 1 mile WU. 3 x 1 mile repeats(1:00 <MP) with 3:00 rest or 6/7 60 meter sprints(:22).Tapering worked for me.Keep your runs under 5 miles. If there is a pacer. Do not pass her/him. I fell behind the pacer 50 meters at each water stop. Caught her at 22 miles. Only 1 person was with her.The others runners passed her and then faded. Later I discovered only 3 people in my AG BQ'ed. Trust your training!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Turbolegs

Hey Everyone!! Stadjak's race report was so timely for me! thanks so much for posting it, really helped to clarify in my mind that I CAN NOT start out to fast!  I have done a couple of marathon pace long runs and they have gone better than expected, so I have been tempted to try a slightly faster pace, but I think that I am going to hold back and if I feel great I'll kick up at the last 10K.

Training through March has been really rough for me. I had bronchitis to start out the month and that set me back, got back on my feet and did a 22 mile run that was horrible, just really hard to recover from and it was discouraging. I think I peaked at the end of February, maybe I should have picked a 12 week plan instead of a 16 week plan. I have two weeks until marathon day and I am just going to taper slowly. My husband is traveling this week, so I have run on my treadmill this week anyway, and will do a short 10 or 12 miles this weekend. Looking forward to the race but nervous!

I can already feel myself running this race and wanting to immediately do another one! I know i'm going to learn so much!

Hey Christi ... great to see you gearing up nicely towards the race despite not being in the pink of health. When tapering, do TAPER .. you need to resist the urge to clock miles .. keep the intensity up and the distances short. As the cliche goes, better to get to the start line "undertrained" than "overtrained" although i am willing to bet you are neither.

Keeping it steady for the first 20 miles and dropping the hammer the last 10k is an excellent strategy to follow. I am told that passing a lot of people in the final 10k is like running on steroids. Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

fake it till you make it

With 4.5 weeks to go I am getting pretty excited.

I'm not sure if it is excitement for the race, or rather that I won't be running 50+ mile weeks after the race Joking.

This past weekend I ran what I think was the "biggest" (though not the longest) workout of the Pfitzinger 18/55 plan.

18 miles with 14 miles at goal marathon pace. Some people seem to recommend against such a hard workout, but since I am following the plan, I am trying to trust it.  It went really well (except for one of the roads being blocked and having to cut through woods/thornbushes Dead) and I seem to have recovered from it fairly well.  I'll find out for sure on today's 11 miler.

Happy training everyone.

I'm right behind you, 18 with 14 at MP is on my plan for this saturday and I can't decide if it's a good idea. I'm planning a 20 k race the next weekend and want to use it as a pace predictor for my marathon. I'm afraid the mp run will trash my legs and racing the next weekend will do so even more. I'd be interested to know how your running is feeling by this weekend. what is your goal marathon time? Christirei, good luck with the taper. I can't decide if I'm envious you're already there or if I should panic but I only have a few weeks left before taper starts!
        Christirei

Turbolegs, thanks for the reminder about what a good taper really means. I haven't run a race that was truly meaningful in a while, so my traditional "tapering" just means dropping a run the week before the race! this week my husband is out of town so I am having to run indoors on my treadmill and after reading your post I am consciously trying to reduce each run by a mile instead of just dropping a run for the week but keeping everything else the same. next week I will drop even more...So what did everyone here do the weekend before race day?? I thought a ten mile run was pretty simple, but should I drop that as well?? I'm not following a strict plan and don't really have much to go on here....opinions from what you guys did would be appreciated!  Thanks!

I'm right behind you, 18 with 14 at MP is on my plan for this saturday and I can't decide if it's a good idea. I'm planning a 20 k race the next weekend and want to use it as a pace predictor for my marathon. I'm afraid the mp run will trash my legs and racing the next weekend will do so even more. I'd be interested to know how your running is feeling by this weekend. what is your goal marathon time? Christirei, good luck with the taper. I can't decide if I'm envious you're already there or if I should panic but I only have a few weeks left before taper starts!

DISCLAIMER: novice runner, never been coached

Did 4 miles around 9:00, 13 miles averaging 8:16 (GMP is < 8:20) and last mile @ 7:21 because we were amped (probably not smart).

I seem to be recovering OK from the run, but have definitely been tired, sore all week.

I don't have lots of local races here so for the first "tune-up race" I just mixed in a 5000m time trial on the track into the 9 miles for the day. Based on how I am recovering from the 18/14 I just plan on an easy 9 this week with no "race".  If I had a 20k race this weekend I think I would skip it.

My training partner has had a similar response to the 18/14 as I have.

So if you want to RACE the 20k, I would cut back significantly on the MP this week. The following weeks long run is 17 with no MP, so you'd sorta be just swapping the runs.  One thing to note is that the following Monday after the 18/14 the intervals are only 600s, whereas after the 17 with no MP, they are 1200s.  You might want to consider swapping those also.  I would think it is dangerous to do a 20k race and 1200s just 2 days later when you are this close to the marathon. 

fake it till you make it

<snip>

So if you want to RACE the 20k, I would cut back significantly on the MP this week. The following weeks long run is 17 with no MP, so you'd sorta be just swapping the runs.  One thing to note is that the following Monday after the 18/14 the intervals are only 600s, whereas after the 17 with no MP, they are 1200s.  You might want to consider swapping those also.  I would think it is dangerous to do a 20k race and 1200s just 2 days later when you are this close to the marathon. 

After talking with my much more experienced marathoning friends, this is about what I'm going to do.  I'm dropping the MP run altogether for a nice easy long run. I'll likely do some lighter speedwork the week of my 20K race, but skip speedwork the week after.  I haven't been following the plan's prescribed speedwork to the letter anyway, I run track workouts with a group and do whatever the group is doing, much more fun that way.  If you can call a track workout fun, that is.

Christirei

So, I am going to preface this post with saying that I have raced completely calm and I have raced with a ball of nerves in my stomach...and I race very well, just like I am one of those people who was a good test taker in school. But I am nervous, anxious, whatever you want to call it this week!! Race is on Sunday, all of the emails from the race director are coming in with all of the details and last night I had a dream that I was a day off and missed the race all together! AAAAHHHHHH, not to mention, trying to taper and really take it easy and not running as often is making me a little bit nuts. I need my time by myself!

Anyway...I'm hydrating this week, eating all of the carbs I care to eat, and trying to take it easy! I'll let everyone know how it goes

fake it till you make it

Good luck this weekend Christirei & runlarryrun!  Wishing you both an enjoyable sub-4 race!

Turbolegs

Good luck this weekend Christirei & runlarryrun!  Wishing you both an enjoyable sub-4 race!

+1.

Have fun racing  guys ... the champagne is waiting to be popped ! Smile

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck!

steph  

+2

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, I'm signing on at this late date - Lincoln Marathon, May 6.  I had been discouraged by tendonitis, and wasn't sure I'd even run it, let alone sub-4, but things are looking up, and I'll give it a shot.

And, good luck, everyone!

Turbolegs

Okay, I'm signing on at this late date - Lincoln Marathon, May 6.  I had been discouraged by tendonitis, and wasn't sure I'd even run it, let alone sub-4, but things are looking up, and I'll give it a shot.

And, good luck, everyone!

Any day is a good day to get on the <4hr train ! Smile Welcome and all the best !!!

Christirei

I ran Lincoln last year (did the half) and it is a great race! Just a little bit crowded, hope you have a great run LedLincoln

Well, the weather forecast has definitely calmed my nerves a bit, it's predicted to have strong to severe storms in St Louis this weekend!!! Going to buy myself a hat today Smile  I've only ever done one long run in the rain, sooooo

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I ran Lincoln last year (did the half) and it is a great race! Just a little bit crowded, hope you have a great run LedLincoln

Well, the weather forecast has definitely calmed my nerves a bit, it's predicted to have strong to severe storms in St Louis this weekend!!! Going to buy myself a hat today Smile  I've only ever done one long run in the rain, sooooo

Hey Christi, great to hear from someone who's even been in Lincoln! Smile  Hope your race in St Louis is great, not wet, and let me know if you're ever back in my neck of the woods!