Running 5K Saturday morning (Read 789 times)

JakeKnight

Outstanding first race. If you can do that on three weeks of training, you may become blisteringly fast one day. Soon. One piece of advice you'll probably ignore: be careful about doing too much too soon. You really ought to spend a few months building slow, easy mileage, what they call a "base," before you do much fast work or races. My favorite poster around here reminds me of you. She started out running like the wind, did a brutal race just a couple months after starting, with a fine time if memory serves ... and hasn't run in almost a year as a result.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

That's a quick time for your first one. Congrats. Did you warm up before the race? That might explain the tight legs and a half-mile to a two-mile jog (depending on fitness) just before the race will do wonders this coming weekend.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Congratulations on your first race! You ran a great time - and with just three weeks of training, very nice. Now your an addict, just like the rest of us. Big grin

Michelle

Another Passion

Outstanding first race. If you can do that on three weeks of training, you may become blisteringly fast one day. Soon. One piece of advice you'll probably ignore: be careful about doing too much too soon. You really ought to spend a few months building slow, easy mileage, what they call a "base," before you do much fast work or races. My favorite poster around here reminds me of you. She started out running like the wind, did a brutal race just a couple months after starting, with a fine time if memory serves ... and hasn't run in almost a year as a result.
          Good stuff up there ^^^ , Terry. I totally agree with JK. Congratulations on the awesome race though! My PR after having run for more than a year is 25:03! You did well my friend and will get faster in time. Just heed the advice and don't sideline yourself. Wink Congratulations again! Big grin

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Just heed the advice and don't sideline yourself. Wink
            I just wanted to say Congratulations too!!! And those words above are golden.

Oh Mighty Wing

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              LTD

Thanks' for all the kind words and helpfull tips. I see a couple of you are from Pa. I am originally from Troy, Pa. Lived in NC. for 14 years now. I will try to hold back a little and listen to my body. Can't get hurt because of my work too. Thanks' Terry

SMART Approach

Good job LTD! Yes, you need to build base. You not fit yet and racing a lot will lead to trouble. Also, your training pace should be about 2 min per mile slower than your 5K race pace. Do not race in training as you will only be training anaerobically and not aerobically. You need to teach your body to run at a fast pace and for longer. Base work and gradually increasing miles and a long run all at a slower pace will do this. Take your time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com