YakTrax peeps...c'mere (Read 669 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I noticed after today's run (11 miles), pretty much my first real "run" in my YakTrax that my calves are SUPER tight and sore...I haven't experienced this since early in my running. Is this normal? They also seem to pull the toes of my shoes up a lot, enough so that by the end of my run I was starting to notice my toes rubbing against the front tips of my shoes, which isn't something I normally experience with this shoe. Are my YakTrax maybe too small (they are size small, but my shoe size falls in that range)? They are a bitch to get on and off, I must say. I also wear a really lightweight, flexible shoe, so maybe that has something to do with it. Other than this I really love them. I'd buy them again, though maybe in the next size up next time, if they are too small.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahh...just talked to a friend of mine who wears YakTrax and she said hers aren't that tight and that they shouldn't be so difficult to get on and off or warp the shoe significantly. Her feet are larger than mine and would put her in the low end of size medium. She wears size large. Guess my next pair should be mediums.

~ Sarah Kay

Rim Rock Dad

I envy your issue. My feet need size 13's, so even with the biggest size they make, the toes of my shoes will curl. What helps me is that if I run in them, I wear my trail shoes. They have enough beef in them to resist for the 3 milers on the ice and snow. As far as the calves, I thought that was just me. Hmm. I hoped it was because I was in slippery conditions.
        James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...so the calf thing must be fairly common. My friend said she gets some slight tightness, too. Last night I was hobbling around like I did when I first started running. I'm sure a lot has to do with how flexible my shoes are, but I don't like doing longer runs in my stiffer shoes, so it's a trade-off. My legs were really feeling beat during the last few miles, too, which is not normal. I'm looking forward to a few warmer days when I should be able to run without them. BTW, what size YakTrax are you in? There is an XL model that I would think would be large enough, even for a 13 shoe. I think the L is rated up to 13.5 or something, so the next size up should work better, I'd think. k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Kirsten...are you sure you are not just running differently on the snow/ice? I find that I have a much different tenser form when I am running on ice. I can feel it at the end of the run. I am looking forward to spring...anytime now!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten...are you sure you are not just running differently on the snow/ice? I find that I have a much different tenser form when I am running on ice. I can feel it at the end of the run. I am looking forward to spring...anytime now!
              I suppose that could be it, but usually when I get sore while running on slippery stuff it's in my shins and more the fronts of my legs. With the YakTrax on I feel it entirely in the backs--mostly calves, but even in my hamstrings some. I'm still sore today--I'm never sore 2 days after a run. I will say that with the YakTrax I didn't have so much as a single "oh shit" moment, which cannot be said on Winter runs with no traction devices. They do work very well. So I don't think I was tense, since I did feel very confident with them on.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The larger YakTrax are DEFINITELY a better fit for me. No calf problems with the mediums. MUCH easier to get on and off, too. I could barely get the smalls on my shoes by myself. Granted, I am a wussy girl, but not THAT wussy. I'm guessing that the smalls were too small because my shoes are so wide...perhaps the surface area of the soles on my 8s is the deal-breaker.

~ Sarah Kay