Question for Google Drive/Google+ Users (if there are any) (Read 110 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

One of the things I liked the sound of when I bought my Android phone and started getting more heavily invested in the Google ecosphere was the statement that videos shorter than 15 mins. would not count toward the 15GB of free storage you get on Google Drive.  Pretty sweet, since I don't think I've ever shot a video longer than 15 mins. at a time.

So, after uploading a few videos...it seems to be counting toward my storage limit.  So, I started rooting around, and I'm getting conflicting information about that feature.  One page of support.google.com says this:

...and one says this:

Am I missing something?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Zelanie

Videos you have on Google+ that are shorter than 15 minutes don't count.  Videos on Google Drive (not Google + ) do count.

What Zelanie said.  Also you can have your new photos & videos auto-upload to G+, so no need to sync or upload to Google Drive.  Just easier.  G+ photo editing has gotten good recently, if you are into that sort of thing.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

What Zelanie said.  Also you can have your new photos & videos auto-upload to G+, so no need to sync or upload to Google Drive.  Just easier.  G+ photo editing has gotten good recently, if you are into that sort of thing.

I have been enjoying the photo editing toys with G+! Smile

...but I have been having trouble with the auto-upload.  It seems to only auto-upload random photos (same photo folder, taken with the camera, some get uploaded, some never do), and it auto-uploaded one video early on, just after I got the phone and started playing with it, and hasn't uploaded anything since.  I do have it set to only upload over Wifi and when plugged in, but even so, the majority of photos and videos don't get uploaded.  Something I'm overlooking?

Thanks for the responses!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Shameless bump (for the weekend crowd).

Tiefsa

Just create a youtube channel that is associated with your google+ account name.  You can put all your videos there, keep them private or unlisted, and they won't count towards your storage.  There are tons of programs that you can use to rip a YouTube video off of later on if you want to store a hard copy.

mikeymike

I had similar issues with auto upload a long time ago, shortly after it came out, and gave up on it. I don't really love the concept anyway because there are a ton of photos I take that I don't really want, especially outdoor photos where you can't really tell until you get indoors if they are any good. So I created a circle in G+ called "Myself" and I just share whatever photos and videos I want to keep to that circle and delete the rest from the phone.

mta: Actually I usually just upload videos I want to share straight to youtube as Tief suggested (I don't take a lot of video.) So the above is mostly just what I do for photos.

Runners run