PR - but not counting mileage? (Read 918 times)

JakeKnight

Question: can you enter a race or a run without entering the mileage? Or more specifically, without the mileage being counted? To clarify: say you set a half marathon PR during a marathon. Is there a way to enter the marathon normally, then enter the 13.1 time - but not have it count as mileage?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Race the whole race. Or jog in the back with me.
      mikeymike

Psst. You can actually have PR's that are not exactly what RA says they are.

Runners run

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I am assuming you don't want to double-log the miles in your training log? I tried setting up a 1/2 as a new course, then recording a race on it without entering the mileage, and it does show up in my workouts, as well as on an advanced graph, but without the mileage it will not show up in my PR display, or on graphs of distance. (As I think about it, that makes sense - how does the program know how long I ran for if I don't include a mileage amount?) So, yes, you can enter a run without including mileage - but you won't then be able to graph it or report it on any mileage-dependent graphs/reports. You will know it was a 1/2 only by the course title (if you put it there, obviously) The other Q&D solution I can think of is to log the race as back-to-back halves. That will get the correct mileage in your log, and have your PR reportable for the half if you want to count it that way. The only way you lose here is if you go back to run a report of your progress in marathons - the report or graph won't see the back-to-back 1/2s as a whole.
          JakeKnight

I am assuming you don't want to double-log the miles in your training log?
            Right. You've got the idea. I'm running a marathon this weekend. I'm likely to set a half marathon PR since my PR there is old and soft. Sort of like me. So I'd like to note it as a PR on the list. But I'll be entering the marathon as a race, too. And I want that to appear as mileage, and in the list of thons. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to list something as a PR but not actually have it appear as mileage on the log. ------ If that doesn't make sense, try this: suppose in 1985 I ran a wicked fast marathon. And I want to enter it into my PRs. But I don't want it included in my grand total for mileage, since I ran it 20 years ago and the log is recent stuff. Is there a way to do that? Alternatively, I can just STFU and go run a half marathon. Which, at this point, seems easier. Smile

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

So I'd like to note it as a PR on the list. But I'll be entering the marathon as a race, too. And I want that to appear as mileage, and in the list of thons. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to list something as a PR but not actually have it appear as mileage on the log.
              Can't get they'ah from hee'ah.. Without putting in a mileage amount, the PR calculator has no idea how far you ran for the time you're entering. The program that makes the list must scan your workout log to find all the workouts you note as races. It then looks for the best time at each distance you have recorded, and lists them. Without a distance it can't do anything. - If you record the 1/2 as a race & PR, you can't also record the full as a race, without double-entering miles. - If you record the race as back-to-back 1/2s, it won't show up on your workout list as a full marathon (although it will look like one in your daily mileage graph). So, you have to decide which 2 of these are most important - having the race in your list of full marathon workouts, having the 1/2 PR show in your PR list, or having your mileage total be accurate. MTA: Wondering - can you add negative mileage? That would allow you to post both races, and keep your mileage accurate, as long as you're ok with showing a full marathon, and a half-marathon, and a "negative" half marathon all on the same day. I may have to try that...

Lazy idiot

Or run 13.1 miles at some point in the future, and don't log it.

Tick tock

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Or run 13.1 miles at some point in the future, and don't log it.
                  Tongue Smarty pants. Now I have to actually do some work tomorrow, since I don't have to explore negative mileage..

Lazy idiot

Tongue Smarty pants. Now I have to actually do some work tomorrow, since I don't have to explore negative mileage..
                    What if you run backwards? Wink

Tick tock

Alternatively, I can just STFU and go run a half marathon. Which, at this point, seems easier. Smile
                      Are you also interested in your age group position at 9.6K? Ever wonder what the WR is for 24.6 miles? Smile good luck with your 26.2! knock it out of the park.
                      And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                      eric :)

Alternatively, I can just STFU and go run a half marathon. Which, at this point, seems easier. Smile
                        Yes, that would be easier. If you set a new half PR during a full, it's safe to say that you still ran the first half conservatively since you still need to run another half. Therefore, your half PR is technically not under race conditions. While it is nice to update your PRs to reflect the improvement, you will have a better one if you run a half as a half. Just refrain from setting a new PR for the first 10k Tongue eric :-)

While it is nice to update your PRs to reflect the improvement, you will have a better one if you run a half as a half. Just refrain from setting a new PR for the first 10k Tongue
                          Ha ha ha! That got a laugh out of me. I agree with Eric, I don't consider it a PR unless that's what I'm racing. After all, I've seen plenty of certified courses with mismarked miles, whose to say the half is even accurate? As for old races, just enter them as the date you ran them on. Sure, it'll mess up your "all time" mileage, but I recognize that I've only used RA for a couple years and don't mind. In fact, any time I find old race results from 10 or 15 years ago I've been entering them in. If you really want to mark your half way point PR, then just set the date as 10 years ago and put a note in there saying what your doing. It won't mess with your current mileage but will get the time on your PR list.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For this particular course, it is an out and back. The first half = the second half. And the total course is certified. So the HM point should be a true HM.
                            JakeKnight

Customer service here sucks. I wanna refund.

eric :)

Customer service here sucks. I wanna refund.
                                JK, I'm sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with the customer service. The representative that handled your case will be reprimanded and a note will be attached to his/her permanent record. I took the liberty to refund 110% of your August membership fee. We value your business and will do anything to keep you as a customer. If you like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, eric :-)