Does the Boston Incident mean that all races need to tighten security? (Read 190 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I just learned that everything at the bag check at our local marathon will be inspected, and runners and spectators are being asked to limit what they bring.  New rules this year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure HOW a road race could even tighten security without building walls around the entire course... Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm not sure HOW a road race could even tighten security without building walls around the entire course... Confused

+1

steph  

Make all races a one mile loop?  Enclose the loop? :-P

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

I think it depends on the city and the race.  I live in D.C.  I anticipate tightened security at most large races here going forward.  (As YMMV and I were chatting about in one of the post-Boston threads, I know the Army Ten Miler has been checking bags since 9/11.)

Julia1971

Probably not the entire course but they could have an officer walking around with a bomb sniffing dog.  And, I think I saw a headline from an article that suggested they could use drones.  (Steps away from the political debate about domestic use of drones).

All the news I've seen is that the Boston bombing was the result of an isolated pair of nutcases, not the beginning of a planned terror campaign by a larger organization.  In which case, increased security will accomplish nothing.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

All the news I've seen is that the Boston bombing was the result of an isolated pair of nutcases, not the beginning of a planned terror campaign by a larger organization.  In which case, increased security will accomplish nothing.

This.  They were just as likely to target a race as they were to target any other large gathering of people.  Their next move was Times Square, according to reports I heard...but I'm sure something like a parade or soccer game would have been just as appealing targets to people looking to do the most harm.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Really? We even need a pole for this?

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

About all they can do is check for backpacks or weapons in the most crowded areas, easier at some venues than others. Safeguarding 52.2 miles is impossible, it will be interesting to see what happens at Peachtree, NYCM and other large events. And 4th of July parades, etc.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Our local half is tomorrow, and we got a notice last week that there's going to be extra police and a bomb-sniffing dog there.  Plus, they told everyone to be on the lookout for anything suspicious, in particular anyone "not dressed appropriately for the weather."

kcam

I'd vote for no but  not for the reason given so ... no vote for me.  Why can't the poll just say Yes / No and offer no editorial comments?

Feeling the growl again

We are always reacting to the LAST crime.  The criminals are planning for the next one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Apparently race committees think it's a good idea.  I just find it annoying, and another useless exercise.

Resident Historian

Apparently race committees think it's a good idea.  I just find it annoying, effing ridiculous, and another useless exercise.

FYP

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson