1st marathon planned, big problem!! (Read 1049 times)

JTSmitty

Again, thanks for all the feedback.  This wedding is definitely a low-key affair - no rehearsal, no church, no bridesmaid/groomsmen or any other responsibilities - I guess that's why I was thinking I could do both.  And I would never dream of going on and on about my race at the wedding - I know that day is not about me!  All I was trying to decide was whether as a nervous first-timer, it might actually be beneficial to be at an event such as this the day before in order to keep my mind off the race or whether I should just do another race.  I'm looking into alternatives such as Grand Rapids, but I still have til February to make a decision.

Cntrygal

Again, thanks for all the feedback.  This wedding is definitely a low-key affair - no rehearsal, no church, no bridesmaid/groomsmen or any other responsibilities - I guess that's why I was thinking I could do both.  And I would never dream of going on and on about my race at the wedding - I know that day is not about me!  All I was trying to decide was whether as a nervous first-timer, it might actually be beneficial to be at an event such as this the day before in order to keep my mind off the race or whether I should just do another race.  I'm looking into alternatives such as Grand Rapids, but I still have til February to make a decision.

Since it's a low key wedding and you don't have any of the traditional responsiblities... I say, GO FOR IT!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

All I was trying to decide was whether as a nervous first-timer, it might actually be beneficial to be at an event such as this the day before in order to keep my mind off the race or whether I should just do another race.

Hate to bring it back around to square one, but that's going to be entirely dependent on your personality, which we can't really assess.

Can you think of any similar situations you've been in, where you had a big event the next day and something else big to do the day before?  How did you do in that situation?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Julia1971

All I was trying to decide was whether as a nervous first-timer, it might actually be beneficial to be at an event such as this the day before in order to keep my mind off the race or whether I should just do another race.

I can't see any benefit of doing something that might keep you on your feet the day before your marathon.  There might not be any real harm but the day before a marathon, I try to stay off my feet as much as possible since I'm going to pretty much be on my feet from about 5am until noon the next day.  Other than packet pick up, I don't plan on doing anything where I might be standing for any length of time.  And, I'm so anxious about the race itself, it's really hard for me to think about anything else.  This was particularly true for my first marathon.  I'm pretty sure my thoughts were preoccupied with race splits, fueling, etc.  But, it sounds like you kinda want to do both anyway.  Smile  In which case, I would try to do all my logisical stuff (packet pick up - if they offer it two days prior, packing my gear bag, etc.) the day before the wedding.  I would stay off my feet as much as possible at the wedding and make a promise to myself beforehand that if anyone asks about the race, I'll change the topic as soon as it's polite to do so.  As someone said upthread, the wedding is about your friend and I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression I was trying to stealing their thunder by talking about my race.

""Lay out what you will need for the race the morning before the wedding.  Go to your best friend's wedding.  Have a good time and congratulate the couple.  Don't stay up all night drinking and dancing, but get home in time to rest.  The next day, enjoy your 1st marathon.  Sounds like you have a wonderful weekend to look forward to.""

+1.

Sugnim said it all right there.  Nothing to worry about at all :-)   --Three deep breaths, have fun at the wedding, then head home early to relax and get ready for an awesome local Marathon!  (You don't even have to travel out of town to get to the Marathon, that sounds like a pretty stress-free aspect).

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Duke of Douchebaggery

I say go to wedding and run the marathon.

You don't even want to know the state some of my friends from the L&O have tried to run marathons in after an especially lively FE.  If they can do it hungover, you can do it after a wedding.

A few things:

1. The most important meal before a marathon is NOT dinner the night before.  That never even makes it through your system in time for the start.  Breakfast the day before is far more important.  Point being, feel free to have some cake.  Pass on the oyster appetizer though.  Trust me on that one.

2. Hydrating is important but you can do that at a wedding.  Just bring a bottle of water with you.

3. Try to sit whenever possible but by all means don't neglect the chicken dance or hokey pokey.  You don't want to be that guy.

4. You probably were going to just stress all day before the race anyway so this way you have something to distract you.

5. I've had a beer the night before almost every marathon I have ever run.  Moderation is good but abstinence is just boring.

Have fun and remember, it's just 26.2 miles.

xor

My personal experience with #1 is very different.  Bellies are strange beasts.  (anyway. have "some cake".  My original cake input was around the idea about "have extra cake".  Personally... eating strange food the night before a race falls into the "don't do anything new on race day" bucket, but I have a sensitive stomach.  If yours is cast iron, rock on.)

Duke of Douchebaggery

My personal experience with #1 is very different.  Bellies are strange beasts.  (anyway. have "some cake".  My original cake input was around the idea about "have extra cake".  Personally... eating strange food the night before a race falls into the "don't do anything new on race day" bucket, but I have a sensitive stomach.  If yours is cast iron, rock on.)

Any minute not Quinn is going to stop by and inform you that real marathon runners eat an apple fritter on race day.

Never question the power of the fritter.

bhearn

1. The most important meal before a marathon is NOT dinner the night before.  That never even makes it through your system in time for the start.  Breakfast the day before is far more important.  Point being, feel free to have some cake.  Pass on the oyster appetizer though.  Trust me on that one.

And for me, lunch the day before is the big meal.