Do I want to do a HM? (Read 1112 times)

Hi everyone! I just registered here (after lurking here and at CR for several months). I'm trying to decide if I want to run a HM or not; I'm torn and looking for insight anyone is willing to give. Here's my background, in brief: I completed C2K last July and am now running 18+ miles a week. I really enjoy it. I know this because I've been getting up in the early, dark and cold mornings to get my runs in. I hate early, dark, and cold mornings, btw. Smile I have my eyes set on the Country Music HM at the end of April. I'm aware that the course is hilly, but so are my runs (I'm local) so the hills aren't my concern. My goal has always been to simply finish without regards to time so my "training program" has been to add a mile to my weekend run every other week (or every two weeks if I felt my body needed more time). Last Saturday I ran 8 miles. The run wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. In fact, it wasn't bad at all. I felt great when I finished and was only mildly sore that night. Yet, I'm dreading doing those 8 miles this weekend and really, really dread adding to that milage in future weeks. I'm not sure why. I was perfectly happy doing my normal weekday runs with a 6 or 7 miler on the weekends but for some reason 8 miles seems to be my mental roadblock. I've thought about just pushing through by doing the runs and adding the milage, run the HM in April and not do another one if I don't want to. After all, I'm over half way to the distance I need to complete the half and it seems silly to cut my milage back when I'm so close to the goal. And running a HM is something I'd like to do (even if only once). On the other hand, maybe I'm the type of runner who will be happy just running to run (I've never been concerned with my time, pace or much anything else) and should just go back to running the way that makes me happy. Will I regret giving up on the HM when I'm so close? TIA!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DO IT!!! A lot of what you feel is why I am going ahead and doing my first full marathon this Fall. I'll bet you do a HM and want to go further, too! But even if you don't, the HM is such a great distance...it's a real challenge and one that the average American will never experience (so you still get major bragging rights and respect), but it's still a lot of fun and you'll recover much faster than from the marathon distance. The HM is my very favorite race distance. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

Absolutely, you want to do it....If you've run 8 already, and the HM isn't until April, you're going to have a great race....Take it easy a little bit so you don't overtrain, and have fun with it!!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

madness baby

Do it, girl! Ditto everything Kirsten said. I've only run one half and it was challenging, but so rewarding and I can't wait to do another. Big grin And good luck!
          deb

Another Passion

DO IT!!! A lot of what you feel is why I am going ahead and doing my first full marathon this Fall. I'll bet you do a HM and want to go further, too! But even if you don't, the HM is such a great distance...it's a real challenge and one that the average American will never experience (so you still get major bragging rights and respect), but it's still a lot of fun and you'll recover much faster than from the marathon distance. The HM is my very favorite race distance. Smile
            I totally agree with Zoomy. You have plenty of time to prepare and this is a very cool HM I have heard. So, I say go for it! It will keep you motivated to run as well. Good luck in whatever you decide! Big grin

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Queen of 3rd Place

Go for it! You'll have a blast! You're right, from 8 to 13.1 is not all that huge, take it gently, and every 3 or 4 weeks take an "easy" week where you do less mileage (I cut back 20 - 30% on easy weeks). My first "big" race (by big I mean thousands of peoplerunning) was a HM, and I loved the excitement - I think it's what really hooked me on running. Small races where I can push myself are great, but a big event race where you just cruise along and enjoy the day and people is such a hoot! Arla

Ex runner

i'm here in nashville too and am at an 8 mile long run and am doing my first HM on march 15th - go for it!

Beatin' on the Rock

Here's my background, in brief: I completed C2K last July and am now running 18+ miles a week.... My goal has always been to simply finish without regards to time so my "training program" has been to add a mile to my weekend run every other week (or every two weeks if I felt my body needed more time). Last Saturday I ran 8 miles. The run wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. In fact, it wasn't bad at all. I felt great when I finished and was only mildly sore that night. Yet, I'm dreading doing those 8 miles this weekend and really, really dread adding to that milage in future weeks. I'm not sure why. I was perfectly happy doing my normal weekday runs with a 6 or 7 miler on the weekends but for some reason 8 miles seems to be my mental roadblock.
                  Honestly, this could be me! My long run this week was an 8 miler, up from C25K and OHR by bits and pieces. I'm running a 1/2 in March, and my anxiety about the runs over 8 is huge. But, I know I can do it, inch by inch. And, YOU CAN, TOO! Big grin
                  Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                    Have you looked into a local running club? These are a great tool for the long runs. I started meeting one a couple months ago, and even though most of those folks are faster than me, it is nice to have the security of other people around you, as well as a few people to talk to. It's VERY nice to have someone else map my run for me!!! Big grin I just moved up my mileage from 8 to 10 (TODAY!) and I am quite sure I'd have been ready to quit training if I were doing it all alone! I say do the HM and look for some training buddies to help with the long run!
                    ---- Cynthia
                      Piling on - go for it. Get your miles in!
                      evtish

You don't mention your paces in your training log. If you run 10 mm, it takes 2hr 11 min to finish a HM. Personally, I have no desire to run for that long. I think the max time I want to run is 1 1/2 hrs, that way I won't ever have to worry about packing lunch for my runs Wink Maybe I'll change my position in a few years when I can hold a faster pace.
                          Yes you want to run a half marathon. You may run it really well, or you may not. You may enjoy most of the race itself, or you may not. No matter, when you cross that finish line it's the BEST feeling. Then you'll want to do another, and improve your effort. A sound formula for a great addiction, go for it.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A Saucy Wench

Oh that great mental roadblock!!!! Think think think before you started C25K if someone had told you that you would LIKE 6-7 milers would you have laughed in their face? For some reason 8 is a big mental hurdle for a lot of people. Of course you want to do it! MAybe you will love it and be hooked. Maybe you will decide you like to just run and not train, but either way you can only find out by DOING it and facing your fears!. Since you do have plenty of time, no need to rush, adding mileage every other week is good, but it is also ok to step BACK once in awhile. If you are dreading 8 this weekend, do 6. Then the weekend after try 8 again. Many training plans suggest a modest cutback every 4th week to give the body and mind a rest from building. Also look at some of the training programs. Instead of having your long run be 8-8-9-9-10-10, etc would it seem easier to do 8-6-9-6-10.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hey, nice marmot!

Do I want to do a HM?
                              Hmm. To be honest, I don't know you personally, so I really can't speculate on what you do or do not want to do.
                              And running a HM is something I'd like to do (even if only once).
                              Wait a minute, it seems you've answered your own question. That was easy. I'll send you a bill for my consulting fee.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm. To be honest, I don't know you personally, so I really can't speculate on what you do or do not want to do. Wait a minute, it seems you've answered your own question. That was easy. I'll send you a bill for my consulting fee.
                                You will make a good engineering consultant, lol.