Sneakers or Running Shoes (Read 164 times)

OK, we all have a PET PEEVE or two, 

But I'm curious if it drives you crazy when people refer to Running Shoes as "Sneakers"........Angry.....Probably the people doing that are the same ones that run 3.1 mile Marathons or are non-runners, so I should probably have a little understanding....

I know I'm a 'tad weird on this subject but when someone refers to my running shoes as 'sneakers' it pisses me off.     Sneakers to me  are like those Converse shoes the kids wear or the old PF Flyers we had (way back when), but top quality NIKEs, NB, NEWTONs, BROOKS or any of the others decent running shoes should "NOT" be called Sneakers.... 

I was hoping at least a few of you understand my feeling on this matter Big grin

A couple of days ago I had someone tell me I shouldn't run in my nice new sneakers because I would get them dirty.....YEAH RIGHT....

Champions are made when no one is watching

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Just as long as they don't call them tennies Roll eyes

steph  

mikeymike

Nope.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Eh, I chuckle a little bit inwardly when I hear it, but I don't experience actual anger.

However, an equally irrational pet peeve I do have is when people refer to marathons as "marys."  Still no actual anger, but it just grates on me (see also: vacays, besties...I guess I just wish people would take time out of their day to complete the dang word!).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Prince of Fatness

I'm curious if it drives you crazy when people refer to Running Shoes as "Sneakers"

There are trivial things that I let get to me but no, this is not one of them.

In most cases when the little things get to me it is usually because something more significant is bothering me.  In times like these I find it therapeutic to put my sneaks on and go for a jog.

Hope that helps.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

When I hear someone use the term 'sneakers' instead of the state-approved term 'running shoes' I think my annoyance meter needle moves slightly, but it's hard to tell if it's because of the word or the fact I have to actually interact with a non-runner.

In times like these I find it therapeutic to put my sneaks on and go for a jog.

JOG doesn't bother me - in fact most of my runs are probably classified by 'real runners' as JOGs to begin with.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm curious if it drives you crazy when people refer to Running Shoes as "Sneakers"........Angry.....

I don't get exercised about it. Smile

northernman

Fight The Future

According to Wikipedia, "Sneakers" is a synonym for "athletic shoes" ... "can also refer to athletic footwear like basketball shoes, tennis shoes, cross trainers and other shoes worn for specific sports", so i regret to say that you are wrong.

However, I frequently refer to them as "tackies", even though I'm not from South Africa

In most cases when the little things get to me it is usually because something more significant is bothering me.  In times like these I find it therapeutic to put my sneaks on and go for a jog.

Big grin

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I see it as a Venn diagram sort of thing.  There is significant overlap between the categories of sneakers and running shoes.  My Nimbus' are both, but Vibrams only fit the running category and Converse All stars only the sneaker category.

Would it be better or worse if I referred to them as running sneakers?

Slo

I think I embarrassed my teenage daughter the other night when I asked, in front of her friend, "Have you seen my thongs?"

I think I embarrassed my teenage daughter the other night when I asked, in front of her friend, "Have you seen my thongs?"

Very good! I'll have to remember that one.

dennrunner

But I'm curious if it drives you crazy when people refer to Running Shoes as "Sneakers"

Right there with you.

It's like calling a fishing rod a "fishing pole", as an example from another activity.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My niece's entire graduating class was told not to show up wearing just thongs under their commencement robes.  That created a stir.