to spit or not to spit?? (Read 898 times)

I need some opinions for my upcoming race. I'm running a 10K this weekend and have a problem with...well....excess secretions Dead. I find it the hardest part of my run....when my nose gets stuffy or I have to spit. I usually manage to do something about it before I run out of breath (after checking no one is around). What do I do in a race? Carry a box of kleenex? Swallow? (eewww).....What does everyone else do? I'm worried I'm going to get all stuffed up and not catch my breath and end up in a panic, off pace with snot dripping down my face Confused

The Greatest of All Time

Spit, but not on or at anyone. I have had to run over to the side of the road to blow snot rockets before. As long as you don't hit anyone you should be fine.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

Spit, but not on or at anyone. I have had to run over to the side of the road to blow snot rockets before. As long as you don't hit anyone you should be fine.
        Ditto this. There was a recent Runner's World issue that tackled this particular problem. They said go for it, just check to avoid potential targets first. They also suggested issuing a post-rocket apology for those around you. I personally don't care if you apologize or not, as long as you don't hit me.

Tick tock

JakeKnight

For real? There's an option here? Assuming this is a serious question (and not a veiled joke about Globule's mom) - of course you spit. And snot. And hurl and spew and any other damn bodily function you feel like. It's a race. There isn't time for politeness. Just try not to splash anybody with whatever is coming out of you. On the other hand, if you actually carried a box of Kleenex on your 10-k, the ensuing hilarity would probably cripple most of the other runners. And while they were bent over laughing uncontrollably, you could win. I guess there are options after all.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

On the other hand, if you actually carried a box of Kleenex on your 10-k, the ensuing hilarity would probably cripple most of the other runners. And while they were bent over laughing uncontrollably, you could win.
            I agree, go with the Kleenex box. In addition to winning you might even get your picture in the paper.
              LOL....I never thought of it that way ....haha I'll be sure to hang on the sidelines and look around to avoid innocent targets.
                I guess there are options after all.
                Of course there are options: sometimes I spit left, and other times I spit right. /Actually I'm just here to say that I love the avatar, dogrunner Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JakeKnight

Of course there are options: sometimes I spit left, and other times I spit right.
                  Ah. An ambi-spitter. Very impressive.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Of course there are options: sometimes I spit left, and other times I spit right.
                    I never actually thought about it until now, but I always spit right. Not that I spit that often while running or otherwise, and I don't think I have ever spit in a race where left might be my only avenue.
                      I have never spit during a race...but if I ever do I'll make sure nobody is near me. As for the snot rocket thing. It is my hope that I never have to do that!!!

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

As for the snot rocket thing. It is my hope that I never have to do that!!!
                        I have never seen a woman do a snot rocket, so I think you're safe.

I have never seen a woman do a snot rocket, so I think you're safe.
                          I've seen it. Sad

Michelle

JakeKnight

I've seen it. Sad
                            Isn't it awesome?

The Greatest of All Time

I've seen it. Sad
                              It's meaningless without a pic.

JakeKnight

I just want to know how you run a race and don't spit. That's talent.