Runner keeps teacher’s memory alive (Read 440 times)

This story is very sad, and to me it also brings a flashback of the moment when I crossed the finish line at Broad Street this past May. Because I saw this man (our finish times were very close), and I watched as they wheeled him off to the medical tent, trying frantically to wake him. I remember thinking how lifeless he looked, and the next day I read about how he had collapsed and died right at the finish line. When any runner dies during a race, it's a tragedy. But what magnified the death of Shafer Middle School teacher Robert Massaroni at Broad Street was the legacy, the work he did with his kids, for which he will be remembered. Massaroni led a brigade of more than 30 orange T-shirt-clad young runners into the 10-mile event that May day. When he collapsed and passed away at the finish line, it sent a shockwave through the local community. People who knew him want his dedication to young athletes honored. That's why a group, led by elite local runner Jim Barger, has created the Robert Massaroni Memorial 5K, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 29, at Bensalem High School. Proceeds will benefit the “Just for Kids” Foundation. Barger, with assistance from Ralph Douglass and Eileen Silver, consulted with the Massaroni family to get their approval on the project, and Robert's mom, Barbara, heartily endorsed it. Now Barger would like to make it an annual event to keep the memory alive. “I am hoping to have this run a success not only this year but for years to come in the Bensalem area,” Barger said. The memory of the Broad Street Run and the sad conclusion is still vivid in Barger's mind. “I remember the morning leading to the BSR,” he said. “All the kids in their orange T-shirts from Shafer school getting ready to embark on a 10-mile journey down Broad Street,” he said. “As we approached the train to take you to the start, you could not overlook all the orange T-shirts. Amongst all the kids was Rob, who was in the same car (train) heading to the start of the run. My reflection on Rob was that all the kids looked up to him not only as a friend but someone that they trusted, and to sacrifice your time to run with hundreds of kids is special. “[Massaroni's death] really puts things in perspective as far as taking things for granted in life.” For more information on the race, contact Barger at 610-656-0732. Paying tribute Council Rock South's new cross country coach, Michael Gross, is paying tribute to outgoing coach Joe Warwick with a 5K in his name. The inaugural Warwick-CRS Alumni and Friends 5K run will be held this Saturday at the high school. The course starts and finishes on the CRS track. Proceeds from the race benefit the Council Rock South cross country team. For more information, contact Gross at 267-994-0258. River to Sea They're back. The Bucks County Roadrunners Club has put together another strong representation for the Aug. 4 River-to-Sea Relay, a 92-mile event from Milford, N.J. (on the Delaware) to Manasquan, N.J. (on the Atlantic). BCRR president Greg Grace reports he has formed 14 teams (seven runners to a team). Overall, there are 110 teams in the event.

Michelle

Teacher Dies at Broad Street Run Robert Massaroni loved to teach. He taught social studies at Shafer Middle School and martial arts at a nearby center. No one who knew him can believe, such a sweet, physically fit, young man died after running in the Broad Street Run on Sunday. He collapsed after completing the ten-mile course in one hour, 21 minutes. Friends say he took physical fitness very seriously. A student of martial arts since he was 11 years old, he also loved to teach it. He was a beloved instructor at an academy in South Philadelphia and the Black Belt Academy in Bensalem. The academy closed for the day, but posted a tribute to Massaroni on its website. You can visit the site by clicking here. Friends say Massaroni was looking forward to celebrating his upcoming one year wedding anniversary. An exact cause of death has not yet been determined.

Michelle