That Didn't Take Long: The 2014 Boston Marathon Conspiracy Thread (Read 682 times)

Only on Letsrun do you see this type of BS. They're saying that the marathon was fixed, that the pack let Meb and Boit go at a "pedestrian" 2:08 pace.

kcam

To hell with (most of) the LR crowd.

L Train

Certainly don't believe in a conspiracy, but it is kind of weird, isn't it?  Everybody just let them go, and similar weather brought much faster times a few years ago.  I know anything can happen but for it to happen to everyone seems strange.

L Train

Of course, the women worked in reverse.

BeeRunB

"I fixed it, like I did the Red Sox."

Feeling the growl again

Methinks just like some of the cycling breakaways that lead to stage victories, the big dogs did not take Meb as a serious threat and were unaware that he was in the shape of his life.  They let him go just long enough that he could hold them off for the win.  Good tactics and self-awareness by Meb, big oops by his competition.

Reminiscent of the unheralded bronze medalist in his late 30s at the Athens Olympics (the guy who got tackled by the nutjob).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yeah, it's a feeding frenzy over there now, with the predictable - 'he's not a real American' stuff going on.

Remind me to break the habit and not go to letsrun. It's pretty awful.

L Train

I think we are going to hear people tell us it was a lot warmer/more humid than expected out there.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

It occurred to me before the race, very, very briefly:  "what if, since it's such a meaningful race for Americans this year, there's some sort of plan afoot by the East Africans, or an arrangement between them and BAA, to let one of ours win it just this once?"

It was in my head about five seconds or so, and then it was ejected for many plainly obvious reasons.

Besides, if something like that was going down, that Chebet fellow needs to drop the running thing and become an actor.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Kalsarikännit

I think we are going to hear people tell us it was a lot warmer/more humid than expected out there.

It is hot just standing around on the course. I feel bad for the people who are still out there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Well, in all fairness, for the people I know that ran it, it was nearly 30F warmer today than what nearly all of their training has been done at.  For many runners, that's a significant factor.  The year I ran Boston, 2011, everyone was talking about the ideal weather.  It surely wasn't ideal for me as I was used to training below 35 most of the time. Having a race in the mid 50s was not ideal for me.

L Train

Well, in all fairness, for the people I know that ran it, it was nearly 30F warmer today than what nearly all of their training has been done at.  For many runners, that's a significant factor.  The year I ran Boston, 2011, everyone was talking about the ideal weather.  It surely wasn't ideal for me as I was used to training below 35 most of the time. Having a race in the mid 50s was not ideal for me.

Yeah I wasn't saying anything bad about people saying that.  I also ran in 2011 and had the exact same issue, as many others did, I know.  I think it's just sneaky because it really isn't all that warm, especially as a bystander.  I tell Mrs. Train it's too warm for a marathon today and she's all wtf.

Feeling the growl again

It is hot just standing around on the course. I feel bad for the people who are still out there.

This being the case, I would not compare to 2011.  I had cramping issues in 2011 and had to walk miles 22-25 slowly, painfully and intermittently....and I was FREEZING.  I kept risking and getting further cramping to keep moving to try and stay warm.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

L Train

This being the case, I would not compare to 2011.  I had cramping issues in 2011 and had to walk miles 22-25 slowly, painfully and intermittently....and I was FREEZING.  I kept risking and getting further cramping to keep moving to try and stay warm.

Really?  I melted.  Funny how people are different.

Feeling the growl again

Really?  I melted.  Funny how people are different.

Admittedly I am cold-blooded.  But certainly not all that warm out, it felt great while I was running.