Paleo (Read 1215 times)

mikeymike

Who the hell has time for a lifestyle?

Runners run

Obviously you. Don't you run? I would consider that a lifestyle...

Being on a higher level than imaginable to the human race...

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This is more fun than the politics thread!

that's for damn sure.

steph  

Honest question.  Define: lifestyle.  

I don't understand the need to make severe changes to a diet for weight loss such as removing a while food group.  What is wrong with the "everything in moderation and sufficient exercise" diet?

Jeez, I run so I can it whatever I want, in moderation mostly. The body will punish you for overindulgence, try eating a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts before a long run.

Get off my porch

Honest question.  Define: lifestyle.  

Here's a dictionary

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lifestyle

He must not have kids!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

"LifeStyles® Condoms has something for anyone and everyone who wants to experience the pure pleasure of it all. You're sure to find a LifeStyles® condom that is the perfect fit for your lifestyle."

JimR

Our ancestors ate whatever they could lay their hands on.

MrH

This is more fun than the politics thread!

Not so fast. Some Paleolithic diets involved cannibalism, so I think the OP is claiming that the strong eating the poor and the weak is a good thing.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

Says the man in tights.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Scout7

Here's my serious answer:

I have never tried the Paleo Diet.  I have read some information about it, and I have seen it discussed at length in the triathlon community.  I have a family member who is a registered dietician (has been an RD for a few decades, and has done work with the morbidly obese, as well as in school lunch and hospital food programs), and have discussed the concept with her.

My take is that a strict Paleo diet is difficult at best for an endurance athlete.  The people who developed the Paleo diet acknowledge this as well, and thus came up with a variant designed for athletes (previously mentioned in this thread).

If you are concerned about taking in processed foods, then by all means feel free to cut them out.  And by "processed", I mean food that has had various chemicals added to it in order to make it last longer/taste better/whatever.  My opinion, and it is shared by my RD family member, is that the processing of food is not the real issue when it comes to athletic performance or to weight loss.  What the Paleo diet does is set up a person to allow for overall healthier eating (greater variety, more vitamins and minerals and such), and to help establish caloric limits.  These two factors will help a person become healthier and to lose weight.

If your current diet consists mostly of processed, packaged foods that tend to be high in calories and low in things like vitamins and minerals, then you'll see success from sticking to a change in dietary lifestyle like Paleo.  But, you do not have to exclude grains and starches, nor in my mind should you do so.  Any diet that excludes food groups is not ideal.  You may consider reducing your intake, but don't exclude these things completely.

If you really want to discuss Paleo with people who have tried it to varying degrees with varying levels of success/failure, I can recommend a site.

Thanks you for your response. I would love to learn further about Paleo and endurance (Long distance running, etc)  type activity so that website would be great. Like I said before, I have been eating Paleo and doing crossfit for some time now and have seen some great gains. However, I am curious about implementing a more "varied" food intake.