Iliopsoas issues. (Read 46 times)

This past February my wife slipped on some ice and felt a slight pull in her groin/hip area. She said that it really didn’t bother her right after she slipped, but started to notice pain and tightness in her right hip area (near the iliac crest) when she ran. It progressed to the point where she could only walk/jog and eventually to the point where she just had to stop running completely 2 months ago. She’s been walking about 2-3 miles per day now just to keep her sanity. She saw a massage therapist a few times and this person said that she appeared to have strained her iliopsoas muscle. My wife has been doing daily stretches (lunge-type stretch), massage, and some strength work (lying on back, straight leg lifts) for the past 2-3 months. At this point, she’s been getting very little relief and says that it feels only slightly better than it did a few months ago. She has not tried to run again as walking is still tough at times.

She probably should see a doctor, but we’re still paying bills on a previous injury she had this past fall (stress fracture of her left femoral neck). I’ve been encouraging her to consider seeing a doctor, but she wants to hold off for a little while longer to see if it gets better.

Has anyone had an injury like this and successfully got over it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

After a series of activities that resulted in a pulled ab and groin muscle, I went ahead and ran a 50K in October (2014) and was hurting something fierce after.  I went to the doc and was diagnosed with Iliopsoas Bursitis.  He said I strained/pulled the muscle and then irritated the bursa after.  I took about 3 weeks off from running while taking naproxin and then slowly started running again.  2 months later I still had the tightness and went to PT for it.

They gave me a bunch of stretches and strengthening exercises to do and that seemed to work and my hips started to feel much better.  Of course I quit too early and then pushed to hard and have tightness again, but no where near what it was.

Time and patience.  Has it gotten better at all?  I was suppose to be stretching twice a day, every day.

Thanks for the response.  My wife has been doing her exercises about 1x per day at this point.  Probably should do twice a day, but her scheduled just makes it difficult.  Really looking for some good strengthening exercises for this area.  The progress has been very, very slow.  Some days she says it feels pretty good and she really doesn't notice it.  Yesterday it really bothered her - but she didn't do her exercises the day before.  I've been running for over 30 years and I've been able to help her through the little aches and pains (and stress fractures) that come from running.  It's just frustrating because I really don't know what to offer her to help with this issue.