How much is enough weekly miles? (Read 309 times)

ckerr1999

I started running in the summer of 2012 and have done two half marathons and one marathon last fall. My marathon time was 4:09:26. In terms of my running goals I want to qualify for Boston. Now I know that won't happen this year, and at the very earliest maybe the Fall of 2015. I am currently running in the high 40 miles a week, and this week will probably hit 55 miles this week. I am thinking about topping out in the 55-60 miles a week range.  I can't see me going beyond 60 miles a week, as I don't have the time to run in the range of 60-80 miles, and its too taxing on the body. So if I just focus on 55-60 miles a week, is this enough miles to allow me eventually qualify for Boston and maybe one day break the 3:00 for the marathon. Thanks

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You didn't mention your age -- and therefore I don't know what your BQ target is.  However, most 40+ yo qualify with their mileage in the 50-60 mile avg for the training period . . . after a few years.

Otherwise, there isn't enough information about you to take more than a WAG.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

A Saucy Wench

Given what you currently consider "easy" pace...you probably will find you have a lot better marathon in you than you have already done.  Beyond that who can say.

I qualified on an average of probably around that, but it was consistency over several years that did it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ckerr1999

I am currently 39 and will be turning 40 this December. So my BQ time will be 3:15 next year.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Given what you currently consider "easy" pace...you probably will find you have a lot better marathon in you than you have already done. 

This.

If that's really "easy" for you.

Just keep some longer long runs (18-20) milers in your monthly rep.  I think you're on the right track.  Certainly you're faster than the 4:09.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Off to a good start. Think beyond just miles and periodize your training so you have a few months a year doing some 5 and 10k training to work on your speed endurance. e.g., the majority of sub 3  marathoners have some sort of track or cross country background.

No Talent Drips

I am currently 39 and will be turning 40 this December. So my BQ time will be 3:15 next year.

We're the same age. I've got no track or Xcountry background. Find hills and run them. Do some speed work. Race 5ks. And run long every now and again. Simple!

Dei Gratia

ckerr1999

Thanks Everyone

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hey ckerr -

I'm the same age - turning 40 in November - and have the same goal, to get my BQ sometime in the next 18 months or so. I have one marathon under my belt, 3:52 from three years ago.

I've been running on the Hansons Marathon Method, and running mostly between 45-60 miles/week. I probably should have jumped into this plan a little more gradually, or logged more miles before I started it, but except for a few weeks ago when I had to pull back because of overall fatigue and soreness and sickness, I've been doing well. My goal for my next marathon - in three weeks - is 3:30, and unless something goes seriously wrong, I see me getting that goal. I have been pleased with my improvement with this plan, and have learned how much of an impact consistent, quality work can have.

I'm looking then toward a fall marathon, unless work gets in the way of committing to a training program (which it might, in which case I'll stick with a few halfs). I don't anticipate being able to add significantly more miles than what I've been doing with Hansons, but I'm sure that if/when I keep at this for another training season or two, I'll be at - or will surpass - my goals. In between training for marathons, I plan on pulling my mileage back to around 40 a week, to rack up the miles and perhaps do some 5K-oriented speedwork.

Good luck! I hope we can both reach our goals!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The last time I ran a marathon that would be a BQ by today's standards was when I was 34 and the then BQ for open runners was 2:50. I ran 2:56 on about 60-65 mpw, so running 3:15 on 60 mpw for a 39 year old is certainly not out of the question. BTW that was average weekly mileage over 6 months, not peak mileage. It also included a significant portion of speed work and shorter races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

BeeRunB

Think duration. How much time. You said the time it takes to run 60-80 is too taxing on your body. Whatever indicators you are using to determine "taxing",  follow and stick to them. They won't lie to you and will keep you from over-training.