My last run was.... (Read 1253 times)

It was 21F when I ran last night...14F when I woke up this morning.  I am beginning to think that spring is a lie. Smile

(And my last run was 7.1 miles.)

Where???? Big grin It was 18 degrees out on the Berkshire Hills this morning. Still...a great hill repeats run with 2 x 60 second sprints on 8% uphill grade and 2 x 60 second sprints on a 5% uphill grade for a total of 3.6 miles....

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

22 degrees and a breeze, at the ass crack of dawn.

Happy to be able to run slog a smeasly 2 miles.

Get off my porch

degregorius

Absolutely not.  5 easy miles is goodness... in fact, if someone cannot run 5 easy miles after a long run, they've no damn business doing long runs in the first place!  Hrumpf!

Big grin

This is known as a sweeping generalization.  My left hamstrings have been acting up.  I want to give them a chance to recover.  I've done a 6.5mile run one day and 5 mile run the next without a problem.  But doing a 10 plus mile run, and then following it the next day with anything more than a long walk? That would be asking for trouble.

And I have every damn business running a half marathon or a marathon.  Come down off your high horse.

Mr MattM

This is known as a sweeping generalization.  My left hamstrings have been acting up.  I want to give them a chance to recover.  I've done a 6.5mile run one day and 5 mile run the next without a problem.  But doing a 10 plus mile run, and then following it the next day with anything more than a long walk? That would be asking for trouble.

And I have every damn business running a half marathon or a marathon.  Come down off your high horse.

I don't need to know anyone's excuses... er, I mean reasons.  If you like running (?) long distance races but can't run the day after a 10+ mile training run then you get my two-enthusiastic-thumbs-up-seal-of-approval.  I don't know why you would choose to do so, as clearly your body does not adapt well to the stresses of distance running, but hey, the world is full of things far more ridiculous than this.

Just try and grasp the inherent paradox of 'I like to run 26.2 miles' and 'I can't run 5 miles the day after a 10+ mile run'.  See the incongruence?

You'd be much better prepared to race distances if you'd first overcome this fatalistic attitude about running easy the day after a long run... but I'm not here to help.  I'm here to provide sweeping generalizations.

be curious; not judgmental

Mr MattM

I seem to have gotten out my snarkiness for the week.  Clown

Now, it's off to train some scout leaders at the youth rotary camp... I get to camp out on what looks to be another snowy weekend.  Yea!  The downside is I won't have time to run until Sunday.  Boo...

Sorry, degregorius.  Honestly, I've no problem whatsoever with how anyone else chooses to run/train.  I just like to occassionally poke sticks... yes, it's a character flaw.

Carry on, runners!  Carry on!

Matt, put out your hand...palms down...*smack* That's for being snarky. Evil

Have fun this weekend with the boys.

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

adavis58

I ran the Southern Illinios Spring Classic Half Marathon in 2 hours and 22 minutes.

I was hoping for a PR and fell way short.

But overall it was a good run in the country.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Hey all, long time no post.  Looks like everyone is doing great!

I ran 4.5 yesterday and 6 today...the first two runs since the sinusitis crapola.  I'm done with the meds tomorrow and I'm hoping that my head feels a little less loopy.  I may scrap the half marathon in two weeks so I can slowly ease back into some high mileage weeks.  My May marathon is way more important at this point.

Mattchiro: Glad you're feeling better.  Was in the same miserable state with a severe chest cold, relentless dry hacking cough, fever, body aches the day after my 10.1 mile run in 16 degrees and dropping as I ran later in the day than planned, about 15 mph wind so windchill was brutal but I made it, body didn't like it and was sidelined for a week and a half.  Silver lining:  lots of time to watch some incredible finishes in the March Madness, both men's and women's.  Ran yesterday, 6.5 miles, sunny, tons of snow still around in northern MN, about 30 degrees finally!!  Felt awesome, a 'could have run more' kinda day!!  Can't wait to run today, and like you, May marathon is coming up faster than I am running (for now), yikes!!  Smart decision on opting out of the HM, been there, done that due to injury and illness.  Here's to making up for those lost training runs and we can rock the marathon!! YAY!!

Mr Matt:  WAY TO GO on the 20 miler, jealous!! Great attitude and oh, so true on the critical aspect of staying consistent!!

npaden:  the support of the spouse makes any running day that much sweeter!!  such a thoughtful wife!  awesome job on the 16 miler!!

snerb:  Congrats on the PR!!  wondered how you were doing with the combo P90X and training!!  It's paying off for sure!! Good luck on the upcoming races, you'll finish strong!!

Melody:  'hey' Smile

OGR44

Good day all - last runs today 6km at 40 min, Sunday 5 km at 34 min.  it almost seems like I;m actually starting to expect to have a good run.  Next goal to extend run to 6.5 km  with overall goal to actually run/waddle/jog but not walk upcoming 10 k in april - except for water break as I still cannot run and drink effectively....

degregorius

I

Sorry, degregorius.  Honestly, I've no problem whatsoever with how anyone else chooses to run/train.  I just like to occassionally poke sticks... yes, it's a character flaw.

It's OK Mr MattM, I can be a cranky skeptical sumbitch too. After my half marathon, I took several long walks.  The next day I did a mile on the treadmill.  Seems to work.  Tonight, I had a Dartfish Stride Analysis, because I want to know why things hurt on the left side.  A short spell on the treadmill.

Just remember.  We're all built differently.

degregorius

40 degree weather.  No need for tights. 3.1 miles after work.  One was a 9:29 mile.

rgilbert says: It was 21F when I ran last night...14F when I woke up this morning.  I am beginning to think that spring is a lie

Comment: Is there such a a thing as "Indian Winter", which wold be the opposite of "Indian Summer"?  I'm beginning to think we've been experiencing it.

Sunday. 65Degrees F  Low winds. Ran on bike path with hard pack sand/dirt.   Ran 8.6 miles at   8.05 pace.  Little over 1hour9mins. Felt great, but now have slight ankle pain. Need new shoes!@!@!@!   540 miles on these nikes

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

This morning. 35F, with a feels-like of 24F. I hadn't eaten in more than ten hours before heading out. injust awoke, had a small coffee, and began hydrating. no fuel or hydration during the run. 7.15 miles in 1:04:20. 9:00 pace. So far, my longest run in VFFs and my longest run without fuel or hydration during. Happy happy happy.

Mr MattM

Hey everybody!  Hope spring is springing where you are!

We had a really nice weekend here in KC.  On Sat I ran 10.4 around my subdivision lake.  On Sunday I ran 13.2 around a bigger lake with trails.  Temps were in the 60s.  Then, cooler temps were back in the 30s and 40s.  I've only run 5 miles a day during the week.  I've just been running at lunch.  Today, we're headed back into the mid/upper 50s and continuin a warming trend heading to the weekend.  I'm waiting patiently for 70F.  Okay, maybe not so patiently.

I made my first blog post over at The Loop.  I'd never really played over there, so I thought I'd give it a try.  At 47, I have only one running-related piece of unfinished business.  Go read about it (if you are so inclined).  I think I will keep posting regular updates to keep me honest.  It's pretty much now or never...

EDIT:  Oh, sorry... The Loop is over at RunnersWorld. http://community.runnersworld.com/displaycontent/content/8471874987253510

xhristopher

Go read about it (if you are so inclined). 

Cool, what's the link?