Cramping Calf (Read 826 times)

Hello runners, I've got a calf muscle that keeps cramping about 2 miles into my run. It first happened about a month ago and I started paying more attention to stretching, and eating bananas (for potassium) but it cramped up again after yesterdays run. I can still run, but I definitely notice it. Then after about 2 hours post run it is painful to walk. After a nights sleep it's all better. What is up with this? Any advice would be appreciated. Lakerunner
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Try toe lifts on some steps. Stand on the steps and raise up on your toes. I sometimes have run 2 miles then stretch.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A couple questions: What shoes do you run in? What shoes do you wear during the day? Do you stretch? If so, what stretches do you do for your calves.
          I alternate running shoes - Nike Maxair and Asics Gels for my runs. During the day I wear Clark's of many styles. I do stretch my legs, but probably not as much as I should. Just general stretching of the legs. Have any specific stretches that would help? Thanks Laker
            Does this happen 2 miles in regardless of the course? Is it after a strenous part of the run? I would suggest try taking the first couple miles really really slow. Maybe even a couple walk breaks. Don't open up with your running till you are really warmed up well. If I try to do to much to soon I have problems.
            C-R

I alternate running shoes - Nike Maxair and Asics Gels for my runs. During the day I wear Clark's of many styles. I do stretch my legs, but probably not as much as I should. Just general stretching of the legs. Have any specific stretches that would help? Thanks Laker
              Base on my trouble with calves here is what worked for me. I use The Stick (alternately you can use a rolling in) to work on tight psots. I also stretch where I place my foot about six inches from the wall and try to touch that knee to the wall by bending my knee and dropping into the weight. This is good for the internal calf muscle. I also take a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement to help the muscles work properly (recommened by my massage therapist). All this seems to work for me. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Check out the stretches here: http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm Pay attention to 4 & 5, but like the article says, be careful not to overstretch. I asked about the shoes just because I know I started getting cramping in my calf after I first joined the military because the heel on combat boots is much higher than anything I'd ever worn. All the drill probably didn't help either, but that's another story. I also ran into some problems when I had running shoes that were stiff with higher heels. (Adidas Supernova Cushion) Good luck!
                  I have been a soccer coach and player for almost 40 years. I have dealt with many players who experience terribly painful cramps in their calves during soccer matches. I have had a number of trainers and players who swear by drinking pickle juice before a match and it does seem to prevent the cramping in the calves. Pickle juice is loaded with electrolytes and salt. I get them at night quite a bit....usually if I forget my daily vitamin/mineral supplement, forget my daily banana, or I haven't had enough water. I also make sure to have a glass of Gatorade before and after my workouts.
                  Personal Records 5K - 21:35
                    Thanks for all the advice fellow runners. I did an easy 4 miles this morning with no cramping at all! I'm also thinking that I recently started early morning runs from 5 to 6 am- (welcome daylight!) so maybe my routine from bed to road in 5 minutes or less may contribute to cramping. I'll keep stretching, eating bananas, and staying well hydrated. Happy running... Lakerunner

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Just wanted to wish you well Lakerunner! I was forced to take a 10 week break last July with a torn soleus muscle - and that has given me SO much respect for the calf muscle and all of the care mentioned here. One thing that worked wonders for me was massage. Once I'd been clear that it wasn't a stress fracture I was dealing with, icing and massage saved the day. Take care.
                      ~ Fly ~
                      Only as much as I dream can I be.
                      veggies on the run