just a reminder: please wear a helmet (Read 1241 times)

dear cyclist friends, it happens. my friend is in the hospital with possible brain damage and various other damage because a truck didn't see him, crossed the yellow line, and flattened him. if it hadn't been for the helmet, he might be in the hospital morgue instead of a hospital bed right now. you know it happens. i know most people who cycle as part of their cross-training take it seriously and respect the risks and wear appropriate protective gear... but if you're one of those folks who only wear a helmet most of the time, please reconsider and wear it all of the time. on behalf of the folks who love you-- thanks!
      i'm so sorry to hear about your friend littlem.
      btb1490

A speedy recovery to your friend. I often see parents riding with their kids, and while the kids have their helmets on most of the time, a lot of the time the parents are helmetless. What kind of an example is that setting?
          i see that, too. also, i know a lot of parents around here will wear helmets when they go out on their long, solo weekend-rides -- they do the whole cyclist outfit, etc. but when they commute or are just dropping the kids off at school via bicycle, i rarely see helmets except on the children. when i see this, i'm kinda like "!!!" b/c god forbid something DOES happen (i would think this sort of thing is much more likely during morning rush or afternoon traffic on city streets to/from school or work than on those long saturday rides in the boonies!), your kid is going to see your head get hurt! what a terrible visual/memory to grow up with!
            In agreement on wearing a helmet!!!! I don't own a helmet for cycling though Surprised So glad, I had body armor on and a full helmet on when I wrecked a motorcross bike. With a full helmet, I just experienced being force fed mud and getting my left cheek pinched till it bled. Hate to think what would have happened without a helmet.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I often see parents riding with their kids, and while the kids have their helmets on most of the time, a lot of the time the parents are helmetless. What kind of an example is that setting?
              This drives me bonkers...it sends the message to kids that adults don't ever make mistakes. Even worse, I saw a couple out with their tween son a week or two ago--mom and dad had helmets, but not the kid. Were that my son I'd tell him "I don't care how dorky you think you look while wearing a helmet...no helmet, no bike." Michele, I hope your friend makes a full recovery. BTW, did they catch the driver? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

In my younger days, I always seemed to have issues spraining my arms real bad when I rode my bike.

Vim

Did you read the story about the guy who had a truck run over his head? http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=14067 Ryan Lipscomb, 26, said he was riding his bicycle pretty fast down the East Isthmus Bike Path where it parallels Eastwood Drive on Madison's east side just before 3 p.m. Eastwood had a green light, so the crosswalk for the bike path showed a white walk sign, Lipscomb said. He saw the large truck, the kind that usually makes deliveries to offices, coming down Eastwood, preparing to make a right turn onto Division Street. Lipscomb said he could tell the truck wasn't going to stop. So Lipscomb slammed on his brakes, flipping his bike and throwing himself into the street. He landed right at the intersection of Eastwood and Division. The truck ran over his head. He was fine. The bike helmet prevented him from getting anything worse than a mild concussion.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

i DID read that and have NO IDEA how that works. i mean, i wear a helmet to protect me from the odd bump or flying pebble, but i don't expect it to ...uh, help me survive my head getting run over by a freaking TRUCK! that guy must have the most well-muscled, OCD guardian angel ever.
                      ps my friend whose accident prompted me to make this thread to begin with is fine-- walking w/ a cane now, but he's back on his bike(s). he actually rode his motorcycle from brooklyn to boston two weeks ago, cane strapped to the back. and helmet securely strapped on, too.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lil'M, how is your friend doing?
                          he's back in the saddle x2 (bicycle, motorcycle), but walks with a cane and a limp for now. he'd probably be better off NOT riding a while longer, or at least not to the extent he does, but... you know, he was a runner in a previous life. he doesn't always heed the rest advisory to a T. thanks for asking, btw.
                            Glad to hear your friend is on the road to recovery. I have been run off the road twice around where I live and thank goodness for my helmet. My father actually was out for a ride about 6 months ago and "Something" happened (we still don't know to this day) that caused him to wreck, crack his helmet. One shredded rotator cuff surgery later he is back up on the bike and training for the Columbus Marathon. The worst part about that day is he finished his ride, doesn't remember how he got home, what caused the wreck/concussion. The head is a scary thing to mess with. And since we are all endurance athletes, we are a bit screwy in the head to begin with. We don't need any extra help!!!
                            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
                              The worst part about that day is he finished his ride, doesn't remember how he got home, what caused the wreck/concussion. The head is a scary thing to mess with.
                              whoa... that is REALLY scary! i'm glad he's doing okay now!
                              And since we are all endurance athletes, we are a bit screwy in the head to begin with. We don't need any extra help!!!
                              ha!
                                Probably the best $40 you will ever spend.