just a reminder: please wear a helmet (Read 1241 times)

mikeymike

Speaking of triathlons (see zz's David Duchovney thread) and helmets, one of my running buddies here in the office had a spectacular crash during the bike portion of a tri on Saturday while taking a corner downhill at between 27 and 35 mph. She has a lot of road rash and will be walking gingerly for a while, but she's otherwise okay thanks to her helmet, which was split in half.

Runners run

He is doing well now. Thanks for the reply. In fact he just completed a duathlon with me this past weekend. We are both also doing the Columbus Half Marathon at the end of October. Still, it is a scary thing how fragile we are. Even though as athletes, a lot of times we have the "It's not going to happen to me" syndrome.
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC

Now that was a bath...

Hey, my thoughts are with your friend and his family. I wish him a speedy and whole recovery. It's illegal to get on a bike without a helmet here in NZ. Is it the same in the States? Are these people breaking the law? Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        mikeymike

There is no national helmet law in the US and I don't believe any state has one either. I've heard of a few cities and towns that have imposed them. While I agree wearing a helmet is a good idea, I don't think we need a law. There have been some studies done on the effects of the national bicycle helmet laws in Australia on rates of head injuries from cycling and they don't tend to show that helmet laws have done much at all. One study showed that head injuries from bicycle accidents fell by some measurable amount (I think it was around 10%) which would have been significant except that for the same period, bicycle riding fell by exactly the same amount.

Runners run