Pain just below rib cage while running...?? (Read 1775 times)

pjain

A few minutes into my run today I started experiencing a sharp stabbing pain on my right side just below the rib cage. I had experienced a similar pain the day before as well half way into my 5k run, but I was able to bull through it and finish my run.  This time though the pain was excruciating and did not go away until I slowed to a walk. I switched to the cross trainer and  was able to manage just fine. The stationary bike also did not offer much trouble. After this I tried to run again, but the pain came back and again I had to stop.  The region around my lowest rib is sort of tender to touch..otherwise there doesn't seem to be any pain. Could somebody help me diagnose this injury ? and also advise me on how I should go about treating it ? Should I see a doctor for this ?

If you're wearing that axe in your picture on the right side of your belt, that could be the problem. You may want to look for a harness that goes on your back instead of your belt.

These guys have one: Zombie Boss Axe

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Stranger than you know

Sounds like a side stitch.

No-one really knows why they happen. Slowing down for a while will normally make side stitches disappear. They are irritating but considered harmless if you are otherwise healthy.

keeponrunning

Sounds like a side stitch.

No-one really knows why they happen. Slowing down for a while will normally make side stitches disappear. They are irritating but considered harmless if you are otherwise healthy.

+1.  I've had them both during normal training runs and races.  At about the 5k mark of my 10k PR race I got one, I thought I was done for but I ignored it and it went away.  Worked out for the best as I was able to speed up afterwards to make the final 3k the fastest 3k of the whole race.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I've had good luck by deep belly breathing when I feel a stitch coming.  Breathe as deep as possible, first push belly out, then pull rib cage up.  Exhale normally.  It has worked several times, once during a marathon.  I normally do not slow down because the breathing alone does the job. 

If it is a stitch... generally they don't happen so often the more you run. Also many people believe that have good core strength helps - so you could consider some general strengthening exercises.