Post Marathon Beer? (Read 1641 times)

I just received my Runners Information Packet for the Frederick Marathon. In the portion about the Finish Line festivities, it mentions where you can pick up your beer coupon for free beer (no wonder it's sold out!) This will be my first marathon, so I'm not sure about drinking a brewskie after running 26.2 miles. I mean - won't my body be craving water and Gatorade? Will drinking an alcoholic beverage lead to dehydration?
      Have water or Gatorade first. Definitely something with carbs/protein to get the recovery started. Then get the beer. You won't dehydrate. (MTA: This is coming from the guy whose wife will be carrying a Harpoon in a camo huggie for after Boston so I can replenish the liver ASAP. But I drink smart, so I'll have what else I mentioned.)
      mikeymike

Beer is good for post race recovery. Mmmm, Beer..

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Beer. Your body will not be craving gatorade. You will be fed up with gatorade. Beer!!
            The only reason I run marathons is to get the free beer at the end..... Blush
              I obviously ran the wrong marathon.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

All business

Definitely hit the beer station. It goes down easy after 26.2. Though in Chicago last year, it was michelob ultra or some low-cal crap. /still drank it.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Beer goes down great after a marathon. Just drink it slow - you'll be more apt to get intoxicated quickly. After San Antonio in 2004, one of the local brewers set up a few jockey boxes so I stood around for a couple of hours talking shop with him after the race. It was fun.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

~Gordo~

Is there ever a wong time for beer???? I say not!
                    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My legs are killing me

Will run for free beer Big grin
                      obsessor

Why would you even consider drinking a beer immediately following a marathon. That's assanine. Beer needs freinds. You should have two. Or so. (btw, you should be banned for using the term "brewski.")
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Beer goes down great after a marathon. Just drink it very fast - you'll be more apt to get intoxicated quickly.
                          fixed.
                            Will run for free beer Big grin
                            I grabbed one from a group at about mile 22 or so of the Richmond Marathon last year. However, I could only managed to drink a sip or so of it. Beer after the marathon is great...during is not so great. The Myrtle Beach marathon had free beer from a local brewery - it was very tasty (as most free beer tends to be Big grin). The Shamrock Marathon sponsored by Yuengling had free beer at the end as well, surpisingly!?!?

My legs are killing me

I grabbed one from a group at about mile 22 or so of the Richmond Marathon last year. However, I could only managed to drink a sip or so of it.
                              As my late uncle Dave used to say "I'd rather see a church burn down than a beer go to waste". You should have htfu'd and drank it Big grin