Need pointers: First 5K comeing up (Read 723 times)

My long run this morning was slower, but still better than the same distance last Sunday! The weather here is supposed to be T storms through Wed., so might have a longer than the planned one day off. My plan is to make my daily run 2 miles with my next long run 5K which is the Sunday before my 5K which is Saturday the 23rd. So I do my long run (5K) then scale back to 1.6 runs and walks leading into that Saturday race. I plan on setting my HRM to a low of 75% and the high to 85% for the race letting the alarms be my "red line." Any pointers? Good plan? Bad plan? What?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm not sure I followed all that... Confused However... it seems to me you're saying that you expect to be working harder on your long runs than on your normal runs. If so, that's backwards from how it's supposed to be. Long runs are done a little slower than "easy" runs, which should be at "conversational" pace. So if your long run is "slower" that should be okay. It's about building endurance, not about seeing how fast you can go for how long. Good luck with your first 5K coming up!

Roads were made for journeys...

OK I was as clear as mud! I mean that what was my long runs (2 miles) will become my normal runs and I'll make my long runs up to 3 miles. That is adding .4 miles each day and UP TO 1.1 miles on the long run. The 5K run next Sunday 9/16 is just the warm up to the race on the 23rd. Planned schedule from Tues the 9/12 through the 23rd, Race Day 9/12 to 9/16 Run 2 miles each day 9/17 Long run of 3.1 miles 9/19 and 9/21 Power walk light jog 1.6 miles with streching on the off days Race Day: Set my HRM to 75% lower rate and 85% max rate then attempt to run just under the upper limit. If I go over then power walk to the lower limit alarm then start running again. Repeat as needed to end of race. So, is it a good plan, bad plan or what?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ah! Makes much more sense, thank you! Sounds workable. Since this is your first 5K, I'm sure you'll run into a lot of things you weren't expecting... like the way being in a crowd of racers can just push you along and you don't even realize how fast you're going... until you realize that you've got over a mile to go and you're completely worn out! I think having the monitor on will help guard against that. Everyone's % for racing is different, so I wouldn't dare tell you how high to set your monitor. It's going to have to be something you find on your own. It's better to run your first race too slow than too fast. If it's too slow, it makes it much easier to say, "I'll just pick up the pace a little more next time." If it's too fast, you end up having a very unpleasant experience and might not want to run another one. Your best race is somewhere in between too slow and too fast, but it takes trial and error to find it. Since you're not used to running for 3 miles at this point, I would advise against running next week's long run hard, even though you probably are just dying to know how fast you can go. Save it for the race, ok? Smile Good luck! We'll be cheering for you! Janell

I have no problem walking part of my long runs. My HRM has imparted that very important lession to me, and I paid attention in class! Crowds. YEP I understand about them. Walking the Indy half marathon showed me that. My pace was 42 seconds better then any practice walk I did. The other walkers and the crowd accounted for it 95% of it! The another 150% was when I knew I was going to finish!

My pointer for your first 5 K...Start out slow and taper down from there. Smile Good luck
                Hey Starflight! Smile I did the Indy Mini too. Fun race. How'd your 5K go last weekend?
                  My official time was 36:57 Age Group Total: 7th of a field of 8 Age Group Male: 4th of a field of 4 Total Field: 185 Overall Finish: 172 For my first and the fact that I am just starting out running, it was not really that bad

JakeKnight

My official time was 36:57 Age Group Total: 7th of a field of 8 Age Group Male: 4th of a field of 4 Total Field: 185 Overall Finish: 172 For my first and the fact that I am just starting out running, it was not really that bad
                    Congrats! Cool

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Congrats, Starflight! Not bad at all for your first race! That's right around what I ran my first 5K in. It was faster than I had hoped, and after that race, I finally had a Personal Best that I could work to beat. My next official (non-virtual) race is in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to improve my time by at least a minute! (Though I might just end up running it side-by-side with a good friend and not worry about time)
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

My official time was 36:57
                        Yay!!! Congrats on your first finish! Big grin

westsidefirst1

thats awesome man, on my first 5k about a month ago i collapesed from dehydratoin and heatstroke and had to spend the night in the hospital you had a much better start to your 5k career Big grin
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Yikes! Shocked You're still running??? I don't know if I'd have had the guts to keep running after a start like that!!!

westsidefirst1

yeah i ran another 5k in a week its not too hard to set a pr when the only thing you have before it is DNF(did not finish) haha
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, there is that... Clowning around