Lack of Sleep (Read 582 times)

I started back on May 2nd, and while I have had definite positves in the last 4 weeks from running (run faster, longer, lost weight), I have had some drawbacks as well. I can't sleep. I am tired and should sleep but just can't seem to fall asleep. Am I needing less sleep? What is up? I have never, in my adult life, had to force myself into bed and my eyes shut to try and sleep. Always just laid down at bedtime and went out. Now every night is a struggle to fall asleep. Bottom line I need to sleep and only haven't been able to since I started running...is there some reason this is happening.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
    milkbaby

Are you running too close to your bedtime? It can take a while to "come down" from running, so if you are running late, you may need to move up your running time so it doesn't interfere with your sleep. Also, you may want to look at how much overall stress you have in your life. Adding running as that one additional stressor could've help put you over the edge. It might not even be the running, but something else that is keeping you awake.
      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
        Ideally, I like to run in the mornings 5-7am...but I haven't been able to b/c I might not fall asleep until 2am. So, if I run later it will not go past 7pm. Stress... Roll eyes Wife is due with out third child anyday now and we are both "nesting"...everywhere we turn there is something we need to get done for our new addition.
        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Stress... Roll eyes Wife is due with out third child anyday now and we are both "nesting"...everywhere we turn there is something we need to get done for our new addition.
          I sleep great when I'm running a lot, so I'm guessing it's the stress. Good luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

I sleep great when I'm running a lot, so I'm guessing it's the stress. Good luck!
            I'm with Globule on this one. Running helps me sleep better. Stress is a real villian. When DW was pregnant with our twins, I couldn't sleep a wink. Now that they are 7 I still can't sleep but its due to all of the laundry, repairs (they are boys) and cleaning to keep up with them and their sister. Big grin Best of luck on the new arrival.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've heard that if you are overtraining that it can disrupt your sleep but I'm betting it's the stress of the imminent extra mouth to feed.