Vehicular Assault (Read 373 times)

Ojo

I guess you all won't be moving to CT anytime soon.  We have a yearly car tax based on the current value of your car.  Last year I paid around $400 for my 2003 and 2006 cars.  We just bought a new car so next year will be tough -- probably around $700 just for the new car!  This is on top of the extra taxes we pay for gas.  Evil

Sara

MM #2929

Revenge of the Nerd

Feeling metal, now, thanks!

On topic: Does WA have an ad valorem tax on cars? Georgia really sticks it to you with the reg fees when you've got a new(er) car.

In WA the RTA (Regional Transit Authority) tax is an excise tax of 0.3%, which means it’s calculated based on the value of the vehicle.  The vehicle’s value is set by the state legislature and isn’t based on the fair market value.  The RTA tax is deductible.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Interesting...we're moving to Seattle next year, so I'll have to figure this stuff out. At least we won't be paying state income tax up there.

I guess you all won't be moving to CT anytime soon.  We have a yearly car tax based on the current value of your car.  Last year I paid around $400 for my 2003 and 2006 cars.  We just bought a new car so next year will be tough -- probably around $700 just for the new car!  This is on top of the extra taxes we pay for gas.  Evil

Connecticut gas is incredibly expensive compared to any other nearby state.  I made the mistake to run out there once, and now when I am driving the Northeastern corridor, I fill up in NJ or Delaware.  ---Might be another example of how higher taxing leads the out-of-staters to drive right on through CT without stopping.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Slice

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/244/0/d/born_free__taxed_to_death_by_basednaga-d5d6p1z.png

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

The answer to the Umlate question is quite simple. reflective tape wide enought to seperate the tips of the letter U from the base.

Mississippi is fairly inexpensive for older vehicles. My 2002 ford van (The rusty red one with FREE CANDY spray painted on the sides) is only $28 for the year with basic tag. I could option the retired military tags if i choose to.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just renewed my 2009 Toyota Matrix here in Texas: $65 or so.

Don't quote me on this, because I'm dangerously bad at remembering fee amounts year-to-year, but I believe when it's time to replace the plates, they pretty much just hand them over when you renew the registration, no extra charge.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Ultra Cowboy

And people wonder why all the License plates in Pullman WA are from Idaho!

I just paid $150.75 to register a 2006 Toyota 4Runner for another year.  In Washington State, license plates are required by law to be replaced every seven years because - according to the DOL - "the reflective coating on the plates wears out."  I also paid $15 for an emissions test.

Here's the breakdown:

Filing fee................................................   $3.00

Regional Transit Authority tax..........   $43.00

License fee.........................................   $30.00

Weight base fee.................................   $20.00

License service fee..............................  $ 0.75

Replacement plate fee......................   $20.00

Plate reflectorization fee......................   $4.00

Licensing office fee...............................  $5.00

Congestion reduction charge...........  $20.00

State Parks Account donation.............  $5.00

Keeping your current plate number costs an additional $20.00.  One would think that they could just reflectorize the old plates for $4.

Congestion reduction is a paradoxical oxymoron considering that the department operates by putting vehicles on the road.  

It's highway robbery!

WYBMADIITY

Save