Running on a sprained ankle (Read 514 times)

I sprained my ankle a few days ago and haven't tried to run yet. It is still swollen and sore to the touch. Straight ahead movement only causes a small amout of pain but side to side hurts. Now to the question - will running on it likely cause further damage. I can handle the pain but I don't want to create a long term problem. I don't plan on doing any speed workouts, hill workouts, etc - just easy running for a while. I've got to start back on my fall marathon training!!!! Any advice will be appreciated!

The voice of mile 18

Pain is bad. means something is wrong and you shouldn't be running on it and if you do you can make it worse and miss the rest of the season instead of another week or two. rest, ice, elevate and take some anti-inflamatories

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I agree with Joe. You need to give yourself some time to heal before you run on it. Running on it will likely make it worse and really setback your marathon training. I know it's hard but give yourself a few more days and then reevaluate.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Pain is bad. means something is wrong and you shouldn't be running on it and if you do you can make it worse and miss the rest of the season instead of another week or two. rest, ice, elevate and take some anti-inflamatories
          What Joe said. He's smart.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

rkeddie

Small world.. I jumped into the "health and nutrition" section because I rolled my foot off of a rock while running yesterday morning. I came down full force on the side/top of my foot, and now my ankle is swollen like a balloon animal. I wanted to see how quickly I could be back out there. Glad I'm not doing this alone.. So the consensus is to wait for the pain to totally subside? I guess the swelling should be gone as well? Thanks. (and good luck Wings)